Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
DazzyJeff
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9300

How to download and install apps?

Hi,

I am a new BlackBerry owner and have the BlackBerry Curve 9300 - my provider is Orange.

First I apologise if this question has been asked many times before but I couldn't find much after doing google seraches.

I actually have a couple of problems.

1. My first problem is with the 'BlackBerry Desktop Software', I downloaded from the BlackBerry website it seems to be okay but when I select the applications tab all the application are displayed in a foreign language, possibly Russian?  For example English is written as "Englază".  Everything else is in English but not this.

2. My second problem is driving me crazy and is the title of this thread - how do I download and install apps?  I can't find any options in the 'BlackBerry Desktop Software' and I tried doing it through the website and created an 'app world' account but it tells me I can't download apps because I don't have Internet Explorer.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Darren

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: How to download and install apps?

Hi DazzyJeff,

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

For the first issue with the Desktop Software showing the incorrect language, try uninstalling the Dekstop Software and reinstalling it from here: http://bit.ly/4sbc35

The uninstall and install instructions are here: http://bit.ly/eDaW4u

For the second question, you can install applications on your BlackBerry by following the steps in this article. http://bit.ly/hS1lh9

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
DazzyJeff
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9300

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I tried the uninstall and reinstall I still have the same problem but as I said it's only the language of some of the actual apps (in the application section).  After spending time messing about with my BlackBerry I A) love it! and B) finally realised I could install things from the BlackBerry which I assumed you could do but it's very different from using the apple app store (I have an iPod Touch).

Anyway it's not a big problem but it's strange, the apps I've downloaded appear in English but the things that came installed on the BlackBerry are in another language - but I guess it's not causing me a problem.

My other problem I have kind of solved as I can install apps through the BB.  I also understand how to install apps from the Mac using the Desktop Software but how do you actually download the apps from the internet onto the Mac?  Everytime I try - from App World for example it says I don't have the correct operating software - you need windows.  But if you have the option of intstalling apps from the Mac which it says you can how on earth do you do it?  I'm more intrigued than anything now.

Darren

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

You will need the App World application installed on your BlackBerry to install applications from App World. Browsing via the online webstore is supported only using Internet Explorer.

In order to install 3rd party applications directly from your Mac, you will need the application already downloaded and saved on your Mac so you can browse to its location via the Desktop Software. You should see an .alx file when you try to install it.

Hope this helps,

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!