Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
numberforty1
My Device: Bold 9930

Importing Windows Contacts and getting "Error opening data store accessor object" instead.

[ Edited ]

I have the "Error opening data store accessor object" message when trying to import my Windows contacts from W7.  I have the most recent versions of the desktop software and software on my Bold 9930.  Trying to get my contacts onto this phone has been the most pathetic example of integration I have ever seen.  Not only does BB's demo video for the desktop software not look anything like the actual software (the demo shows a Yahoo contacts option on the Organizer tab which does NOT exist in the actual software), but even the Windows Contacts option that does appear does not work at all!  How does Blackberry get away with putting out such bunk?

It's very simple.  I downloaded the desktop software, installed it, connected my phone, turned of wireless sync on my phone, went to Organizer/Contacts/Configure, selected Windows Contacts, and hit sync.  What do I get? "Error opening data store accessor object".  BB's so-called "knowledge" base said the issue is caused when the Windows contact folder is moved from its default location, but this is false, because my contacts folder was never moved.  So we not only have a glaring malfunction, we're also given a false solution.  Face palm.  Actually, maybe I should go with Palm...

Pathetic.  Come on people, it shouldn't be that hard.  And all this after I spent an hour exporting my contacts from my web mail to my Windows Contacts.  Thanks for wasting my time BB.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Importing Windows Contacts and getting "Error opening data store accessor object" instead.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Here is a KB that discusses that error:

• KB32234 When syncing Contacts to Windows Contacts in Desktop Software for Windows an error is displayed "Error opening data store accessor object"

Hopefully it contains something useful! 

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
numberforty1

Re: Importing Windows Contacts and getting "Error opening data store accessor object" instead.

I already saw that KB and it is incorrect.  It should probably be taken down to avoid confusing/frustrating people even more.  It states that the error is caused by the Contacts folder being moved from its default location, but mine was never moved.  It is definitely a fault in the desktop software.

I had to find a way to download the old desktop software v6.1, and that worked fine.  The v7 is completely useless and they should take that down as well.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...so you've solved your issue...that's good, and I'm glad you came back to post your solution (which we may well have gotten to).

BTW -- I agree that the desktop software v7 is completely useless...for you. And perhaps others. But I wager there are millions using it without such problems. But I'm sure you don't want to hear that, so I'll stop now because I don't want any more of your obvious ire at BlackBerry to keep bleeding over to the poor volunteers on this site who kindly give of their free time to try and help folks out.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
numberforty1

Apologies if I appeared to direct any angst toward you personally, not my intention, and I appreciate your efforts.  However, its important not to get subjective here, as if software randomly decides to work for some people and not others.  Under the same conditions, software will always do the same thing, and so the reality is that this release does not work correctly for anyone, because anyone might want to import their contacts, and most probably do. 

If we want the developers to get on the ball, these forums are a good place to vent justified ire, as long as everyone here can understand that and not allow their feelings to get hurt.  Better that we put this out there so all those poor volunteers can know the real issues and fewer people have to figure it out on their own!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh I completely agree that the facts should all be well presented here. But the constant bashing of BlackBerry gets, well, a bit tiresome to hear day after day. Yes, by volunteering here, I guess I do sign up for that...but some days it just gets so old.

The facts are excellent...but the things like "Face palm. Actually, maybe I should go with Palm...Pathetic. Come on people, it shouldn't be that hard." don't really add to the factual understanding, do they...

<end>

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates