Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Marswell
My Device: Torch 9800

Installation Files Cannot be Validated for Desktop Manager 6.1 - Recommended/Standard Knowledge Base Fix Does not Work for Me

On my Windows XP SP3 system, the Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.1 will not install because the installation files cannot be validated. I looked the problem up on Blackberry's Knowledge Base site and here's what they say (see below). But despite the solution provided below, when I open up the properties tab on the data1.cab file there is no "digital signatures" tab to select and review as per the instructions below. Can you help ? Is there another way to get this new software validated and properly installed ?

Overview

When attempting to install the BlackBerry® Desktop Software the following error is received

The installation files cannot be validated. Please verify the installer package and try again.

Cause

The installer package is signed using a certificate trust that the target computer cannot verify or does not trust.

• Resolution

Confirm the certification path used to sign the .cab and .msi contains the appropriate certification authorities.

1. Renaming the installer .exe extension to .zip and extracting the contents
  2. Right click on data1.cab and select properties
  3. Select the Digital Signatures tab and select Details
  4. Examine the state of the digital signature
  5. Repeat the above steps for BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi to confirm the certificate path

If the certificate in the signature cannot be verified  select view certificate and identify the issuer certificate that is not trusted. Install the appropriate root certificate to resolve the issue in the certificate trust.

• Additional Information

Root certificates for Verisign on their website
New Contributor
alstacs
My Device: BlackBerry 9800

Re: Installation Files Cannot be Validated for Desktop Manager 6.1 - Recommended/Standard Knowledge Base Fix Does not Work for Me

I have the same problem. I downloaded a copy of the BB DS 6.1 yesterday but it gives me the same error message on win XP SP 3 and Win 7.
The solution above appears complex to me.
New Contributor
alstacs
My Device: BlackBerry 9800

Re: Installation Files Cannot be Validated for Desktop Manager 6.1 - Recommended/Standard Knowledge Base Fix Does not Work for Me

I tried the version 6.0.2 and it installed successfully but anytime I connect my BB 9800, the programme asks for RimUsb.sys file.
New Contributor
Geoff403
My Device: Many

This problem is happening to me on my new Dell 64 bit Win7 machines (Optiplex 790). I even reformatted/reinstalled and the 6.1 Desktop Software refuses to install. I have about 20 other packages that installed with no issues, just the BB software.

Trusted Contributor
Adam8
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Hello

If you try to install the Desktop Software in a different User Account does it install?

Reply for more troubleshooting :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
Geoff403

My account is a domain admin, but also used another user act that has admin on that machine, no dice.

Installed fine on my XP sp3 machine, and on my 64 bit 7 machine at home (fresh format). So the only difference is the Dell branded Windows 64 disk and Office 2010.

I have 6 new Optiplex units so I will test on another machine and see if there's a common thread...

New Contributor
Marswell
My Device: Torch 9800

Try checking out this forum thread instead. This solution worked for me, and allowed for the installation file to be validated. Desktop Manager 6.1 installed fine after that. The problem was that a file needed a proper validation certificate, and did not have one. The certificate / instructions are in this link.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-PC/Can-t-install-Desktop-Software/td-p/1...

New Contributor
Geoff403

So on another Optiplex (same batch) it installs fine. So this one unit refuses to verify the cert, even though it's the same build/batch as the other unit. And I've reformatted/reinstalled - no change. Is there any possible hardware issue that could explain this?

ngl
ngl
My Device: Bold 9700

Took a lot of time to find an answer since the one rim provides is not accurate.

Please check this link: https://plus.google.com/107170836901331596770/posts/68eGBKypZy4

Cheers,

Nuno

New Contributor
Geoff403

Cert import failed (I posted in that thread, but tried on 2 diff machines, failed.). I posted screenshots in that thread to verify I'm not an **bleep** at copy/paste.

Here's my cert comparisons between the 2 Dells. The one on the left installed fine, the one on the right does not. But it begs the question - even assuming the manual import eventually works - why would a fresh Win7 install require the manual addition/import of Verisign certs?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AuDUC7WGIBI/Tvyhn6g0QGI/AAAAAAAABak/pa-25zSXA7s/s939/Cert-Compare...

Is it possible the Dell branded Win7 DVD is different than a standard, and this is one of the differences??