Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
lr2009
My Device: Not Specified

Installation Problem: RIM Composite Device, The data is invalid.

Trying to install the Blackberry Desktop Software for my Blackberry 8830 World Edition onto my PC running Windows XP Pro SP3.

The problem I am encountering is as follows:

Blackberry Desktop Software (version 5) installs without any problems, however when Desktop Manager prompts me to plug in my Blackberry for the first time, the Found Hardware notification pops up, finds the device, but then prompts me to install the USB driver. I choose to find it automatically, it finds it, begins coping it (shows the file animation coping between the two folders) and then prompts a message that says “Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware. RIM Composite Device. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid.” Only option is to click the Finish button. The Blackberry Desktop Manager can go no further because there is no device detected.

In Device Manager, under USB Controllers, RIM Composite Device has a yellow exclamation mark over it.

What I have tried:

• Uninstalling (clean uninstall not keeping user data) and reinstalling the Blackberry Desktop Software many times (with reboots in between).
  • Installing previous version of the BDS—tried every version from 4.2 up (with reboots in between)
  • Went into device Manager, tried uninstalling the RIM Composite Device. Upon reinstallation attempt, same error happens during the driver install.
  • Tried manually installing the driver via the install hardware wizard: Pointed it to both the Windows INF directory and the common files directory in Program Files. Both time it finds the driver, but still gives me the same error. I also tried manually choosing the driver for the hardware, it still gives me the same message.
  • Uninstalling (clean) all BDS and just installing the driver (downloaded from the BB website). Same error.

All my efforts have been unsuccessful thus far.

Here’s the link to a screen shot I took of the error message and device manager: http://tinyurl.com/nttt3c

I am wondering if there is a windows driver corruption or something. Perhaps it’s a chipset driver problem? Not sure.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have searched the forum but haven’t found anything specifically applicable to this particular problem.

Could really use some assistance.

Thanks!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Installation Problem: RIM Composite Device, The data is invalid.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

For the uninstall - you said you tried a "clean uninstall  not keeping user data". Did that follow this process?

KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

If not, then it was not a truly clean uninstall...in which case I'd suggest trying again but using this process for the uninstall.

Also, make sure to be logged into an account with full admin rights on the machine...that has been known to sometimes help.

Also make sure you are using a non-hub USB port...no docking station, no monitor USB's, no hubs. Indeed, some of the front ports on some PC's have been shown to truly be hubs rather than root ports. Try one on the rear of the PC instead.

Oh, and PC reboots between each thing attempted (e.g., clean uninstall, reboot, install, reboot, then try to tether)

Try those things for now...and let us know how it goes.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

Sgardne is giving you some great advice!

A fresh install is usually the best bet!

I need a minute to blow up the picture you sent, but I would try the following in order.

The simplest, power fail the PC do not start any programs.

Plug the Blackberry into the USB cable then into the monitor USB port in the front of the PC.

(this is not standard practice and Sgardne is right to not suggest it. However if you have a device conflict the 

Monitor port is usually not affected so diagnostics can be run.)

Then in Windows hit start, run  Windows update.

Let's see if the correct device driver is found and loaded. If it is, try the desktop manager connection,

If not try these in order.

KB10732 BlackBerry smartphone is detected as RIM Mass storage device instead of BlackBerry device in Windows Device Manager

KB04482 Research In Motion USB kernel driver available through Microsoft Windows update

KB13336 Update BlackBerry device drivers manually on a Microsoft Windows-based PC

Thanks,

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-10-2009 06:10 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
lr2009

I performed all of the recommendations that were made.

User already had Administrator permissions.

Was already performing full clean install (uninstall removing user data, manual removal of reg keys, manual removal of remaining directories, even regestering atl.dll).

Continued rebooting between all configuration changes.

Plugged into USB ports in back of computer instead of front ports.

Tried using Windows Update for driver.

Tried manual install (update) of driver from both program files\common files\RIM\usb driver, and also Windows\inf

Fully reinstalled computers USB and chipset drivers.

Reviewed all of the KBs that were recommended, followed when applicable.

Peformed uninstall and reinstall of Blackberry Desktop Softare v5 at least a half-dozen times.

Result is still completely unsuccessfull, with the same error message coming up.

Any other ideas?

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi,

After you installed the desktop software, did you download and install the device OS for your 8830?

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB05143 Turn on BlackBerry Desktop Manager connection logging
Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-11-2009 06:40 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
lr2009

Haven't tried that yet. Honestly, I just gave up and put the user on a different workstation. Works fine now.
Gorsh2k4
My Device: 8830

I had a very very similar problem and was able to get it fixed.

Problem: 

When i tried to update my 8830 to the latest device software, it would backup properly, but when it came time to "connect to the device ROM" it went through a found new hardware phase.  And when it tried to recognize the Blackberry, it came up with the "The data is invalid" during the hardware install process.  After reading this forum and a few others, I came to a hybrid solution which worked for me.

Here are the steps that I took, I hope it will help somebody else that is in similar circumstances...

Solution:

uninstalled all USB root hubs and restarted
to my suprise only 2 reinstalled the rest were showing the similar error i had received with my BB driver "the data is invalid"
I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB
and clicked on permissions, administrators didn't have full control, so i gave htem full control and pushed the permission changes down to all child objects.
went back to device manager, was now able to manually update the driver for all the USB root hubs (didn't get error message now)

after that, i re-ran the device update, and during the "connecting to the device ROM" stage, it went through the found new hardware but then immediately said that the new hardware had been installed successfully :smileyhappy:

Honestly I think the Permissions on the Enum key is what is the actual fix, but these are the full steps that i took.  Strangely enough, a few months ago i had a problem with my device manager that i couldn't see any devices or network connections.  It ended up being no read permissions on the Enum key.  No idea how those would've become corrupt........I work as an IT professional for a public healhcare agency

Hope this helps,

Blake

deliverer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

If you haven't already tried, something to try is when the "Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard" box appears, choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and click "Next". Then check the box "Include this location in the search:" and 'Browse' to C:\WINDOWS\system32 or C:\WINDOWS\inf and then select "Next".  This works 80% of the time or more when the "Install the software automatically (Recommended)" method does NOT work.

This may be elementary but it very commonly overlooked.