Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
eskimolegend
My Device: Curve 8520

Installation Starts Whenever I Start Desktop Software

BBDS v. 6.0.0.43

Curve 8520

Windows XP Home SP3

Windows Installer v. 4.5

I need some serious help.  Since Sunday 7 November, out of the blue, my BB Desktop Software (BBDS) has stopped working.  Whenever I start it for synchronization, Windows Installer starts, and I get a following error message:  "Error 2753. The File 'rim.desktop.httpserversetup.' is not marked for installation." 

If I click the OK button, then Windows Installer starts all over again.  If I cancel the Installer, within a second, it starts again, very rapidly.  Meanwhile, my computer has stopped recognizing my Curve as a BB and starts a New Hardware wizard. 

I have tried to uninstall BBDS using the Add or Remove program.  When I click the Change/Remove button, the Installer starts and soon displays the following error message:  "Please use Setup.exe for installation instead of BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi."  I have looked for setup.exe on my computer for BB or RIM and find none. 

Does anyone know how to deal with this problem?  At minimum, I want to uninstall BBDS so that I can try a clean uninstall/install.  Many thanks! 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Installation Starts Whenever I Start Desktop Software

Hey eskimolegend,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

You will need to do a manual uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Follow all of the steps in this KB article: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206

Also you may need to remove all Research In Motion and BlackBerry items from the registry manually.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
eskimolegend
My Device: Curve 8520

Re: Installation Starts Whenever I Start Desktop Software

Thanks for the response.  I was aware of KB02206 that you mentioned.  As I noted in my original post, an important part of the problem was that I could not complete the first task in that knowledge base item, i.e.,  uninstalling the BBDS using the "Add or Remove" program. 

Having found no solution (before your post), I have done the following: 

(1) Completed Tasks 2 through 5 in KB02206, without completing Task 1 (because I could not);

(2) (Now that the computer "though" that BBDS 6.0 was not installed) Downloaded and installed the BBDS 6.0 on top of the existing copy;

(3) Conducted the clean uninstall in accordance with KB02206 (Tasks 1 through 5); and

(4) Downloaded and installed a fresh copy of BBDM 5.0 (not BBDS 6.0) on my computer. 

I have decided to install BBDM 5.0 because, on many BB fora, I have read numerous reports of problems with BBDS 6.0.  

Whenever I start BBDM 5.0, the Windows Installer still keeps flashing.  This is bearable for now, because I no longer receive the error message (Error 2753) and can continue with my synchronization. 

In any event, thank you for the response. 

Please use plain text.