Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

fjaffrey
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails:

Hi, I'm a new user of the Storm, as well as new user of Vista. I have downloaded Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7. When I connect the blackberry device, nothing happens. The Manager does not recognise anything.

What should I do? I've read other messages, and it seems that I need to find a file, and run it as administrator?

New Contributor
efcorson

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

jlavik, did you ever find a solution?  For I'm having the same problem.  Can't install 4.7 at all!
New Contributor
bartender13

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

I have been following this thread, I have tried all the suggestions to get the desktop to install.  I cannot get it to work. 

I am running Vista on a 64 bit machine, I have tried 7Zip. I tried the VBscribt thing with the registry.  Nothing works.  I too am probably switching to a new phone that will sync to my computer without having to go through all this Bull S$%^

New Contributor
efcorson

Thanks everybody!  It turned out that Windows Installer had been clobbered somehow, so NOTHING would install.  This necessitated Microsoft's running me through a reinstall of Vista Ultimate yesterday (a rather time consuming task).  Then program installs all worked, including Blackberry Desktop 4.7.  Yay!

Well, there was one other problem, though, which the otherwise excellent Microsoft techs didn't foresee.  I had been running Norton Internet Security 2009.  After the Vista reinstall, it was totally corrupt, with broken firewall thwarting the Verizon internet connection. So, now with a reinstall of NIS 2009, all is well! (and my HP Pavillion is a lot peppier than it was before!)

Ted

tanda123

dear i am also facing like this proublum then i went to blackberry shop i met with sunil and he solved my proublum

sheena

http://stockmarket.bizoppjunction.com 

Contributor
donnellm30

i have a diff problem every morning when i turn my phone on the date and time are incorrect.  Its usuall on the previous day. also the phone dosen't light up when a call comes in,..help please
New Contributor
jlavik
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

I finally got it figured out.  It only took an update to my Hard drive to get everything to work properly.  Who know's where the issue was, but now that I have re-installed everything on my new hard drive, it seems to work fine.

Needless to say, HUGE pain the arse.  My next phone will probably be windows based so that it syncs easier with outlook.

New Contributor
bgavin

The advice to unzip to a permanent and stationary directory is correct.

This also applies to Office and HP printers.

The reason for the stationary install location is because these programs go back and reference their installation location at various times. They also hard-code numerous registry entries that point here.

The typical (and wrong) method of most installers is to extract to the user profile TEMP directory.  If the user name changes, or the TEMP directory is cleaned up, your installed program just broke.  This is a sloppy coding practice and hopefully will change soon.  The word TEMP means "TEMP" and is fair game to being replaced or discarded.

The desktop manager .EXE file is a self-extracting compressed file.  Any of the standard compression tools will extract it to a directory of your choice.  These include WinZIP, WinRAR, and 7-Zip (freeware).  The .EXE is extracted correctly with its folder structure intact.  If the .EXE is damaged, the extractor program will report this.

Choose a location that will never change, such as C:\INSTALL\Blackberry.

Extract your .EXE here, then run the setup program.  

New Contributor
bigtuna

I deleted the installation download.  Now when I try to open 4.5 Desktop, it keeps asking for 8330.msi.

I tried unzipping via 7zip, and others but nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Any step by step help is appreciated!!

thanks

New Contributor
knhamilton87

I am attempting to install the blackberry desktop software on my work computer.  It is a new HP touchscreen and my IT guy says it's 64-bit, whatever that means.

When I try to install from the disk, the software attempts to load to our shared drive.  I can see that other people have problems with random drive selection that they cannot control and have attempted the 7zip approach.  Unfortunately, unzipping the .exe file merely saves the individual components to a folder and does not INSTALL the program.

Could someone please help me with this?

Thanks.