Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

michaelthorson wrote:

Okay, I've used a blackberry for about 6 years now.  I want to provide BlackBerry some constructive feedback on why the company is failing and how you should get your act together.  Surprisingly, I could find no "contact us" button or "feedback" button on any of the main website pages, so I am resorting to the forum page to give this advice.

hello michaelthorson,

if you go here:

http://us.blackberry.com/

at the bottom of the page, there is a menu titled "Company". If you hover on it, you can open it and click on the "contact us" link that brings you here:

http://us.blackberry.com/contact/

regards

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

...and a "Feedback" button, too! Well, whaddya know...

Except, of course, it takes you to a page which gives a bunch of links or asks you to sign up for a feedback panel or provide feedback on the website blackberry.com (not the products). It doesn't actually direct you to anywhere to provide technical feedback via email on any of the products.

Sigh...
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9370
My Carrier: Verizon

All well and good except for two things:

I have not found the search box you show at the top right (or anywhere else) on any page that I've seen so far.

Your "Contact Us" page has links for wireless carriers, corporate administrators and developers but for consumers, the link takes us back to the Desktop Software support page which, in turn, brings us back to this forum. The only other link is for incident support which, I find out, costs $49 per incident. I'm not willing to pay to solve a problem I had no role in creating. The only phone number on the page is for your corporate office...I'm not sure they want to hear what I'd have to say to them right at this moment.

I can contact Verizon tech support (and I probably will) but here's what I expect to happen: Since my problem isn't with my phone itself but with the support software that RIM provides, they'll probably tell me they don't support Desktop Software and that I'll have to contact RIM tech support which...puts me right back here. I'm tired of running around in circles here and getting *no* support for this issue.

I'll say this again: I upgraded from a Storm 2 to an Android phone six months (plus or minus) ago because Android is a vastly superior platform for web surfing, video downloads, etc. Although I was told I could sync Android directly with Outlook, that turns out to not be the case (that's another story). The *sole* reason I got another BB (this time a Curve 9370) was so I could sync directly and seamlessly with Outlook through Desktop Software. The version I had, v6.1.6.1.0.35, worked just fine until it automatically downloaded v7.0. That's the last time I was able to sync--or even boot up the software.

The last time I performed a sync, Desktop Software v7.0 wiped my Outlook clean of all data--all of it. I therefore did a system restore in order to retrieve my data (it had been a week or two since my last back-up). Unbeknownst to me, that's a no-no for Desktop Software, apparently. Now, I can't install v7.0 since I keep getting this error message when I try: "Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from file C:\Windows\Installer\Blackberry Desktop Software.msi" whatever that means. Eeven though I've attempted to uninstall v7.0 (with all indications of success) four times, I can't re-install v6.1 since I get an error message that a newer version is already installed. I can't uninstall v6.1 in order to re-download and install it because I get the Error 1316 message.

So, it appears, my sole reason for getting another BB phone is gone and I'm right back to where I started except I'm now on the hook for a phone I didn't really need and an additional line on my account that I didn't really need. And, from all appearances, RIM is either unwilling or unable (which I doubt) to lend any meaningful support to help me solve my problem.

You call this support?

Guru I

hello bphoon,

I can feel your frustration. The problem is that it is not directed at the right target. You are on a community forum. The contributors here are BlackBerry device owners, who spend part of their free time helping other people. This is what I do on my leisure time.

You are not a RIM customer. As far as I know, you do not pay anything to RIM.

You are a Verizon Wireless customer. You pay them money on a monthly basis, among all to take care of all your issues related to your mobile phone, in your case a BlackBerry one. This includes hardware (ie a key not working anymore) as well as software (ie the OS) and services (ie the Protect feature). This means that your primary contact for support about BlackBerry is your carrier.

On the other hand, Verizon Wireless is a RIM customer. They pay yearly fees so that RIM employees will do support for them (let's call this "level 2 support").

So your course of action is :
1) ask your friends
2) ask a community (here)
3) ask your carrier
4) if they are unable to satisfy you, demand that they hook you up to the Level 2 support (at no charge for you since it is already paid by VZ to RIM)
5) RIM Level 2 support will contact you back, and will rightfully hear all your complaints if they too are unable to solve your issue

another course at step 2 is to follow my previous link : if you do not wish to go through the carrier hotline, you can pay to jump directly to "Level 2 support".

Now about your issue, I am as sad as you to see that the Desktop Manager in its latest version has some installation problems. I know for sure that being administrator on the Windows computer eases things, and I also know that decompressing the install file before launching the install software manually brings less trouble. I hope it will work for you, or that an upcoming version of Desktop Manager will give you a better user experience.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

With all due respect, if the phone is manufactured by Blackberry, the warranty is provided by Blackberry, and the Desktop Manager is software created and released by Blackberry, then I'm sorry but the above answer is simply misguided.  The product and its related software should be supported by Blackberry.  Period.

Do you call Verizon to get support for your iPhone?  No.  Do you call ATT to get support for your Windows Phone?  No.

This is, unfortunately, why Blackberry will not be around much longer.  After too many years living high off the corporate Blackberry monopoly hog, where mammoth corporate IT departments essentially performed all their customer support for them, suddenly they woke up and the world has changed and left them behind.  It's sad, but it is what it is.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

With further due respect, every manufacturer is allowed, in a free marketplace, to choose their method of delivery and support. To expect RIM to provide identical methods as others do is an excellent way to set oneself up for disappointment. While believing that they "should" do something is certainly a valid opinion, it's simply not supported by the fact that, in their chosen business model, RIM provides very little directly to end users...all service and support passes through the carriers and authorized resellers, including warranty-level support. By opting to be a BB carrier/reseller, they sign up to providing that support, and thereby receive enhanced training as well as communication channels into RIM for escalation purposes.

As to if that business model will lead to their demise, that falls into the realm of predictions...and only time will vet out which predictions are correct and which are not. In the meantime, the focus of this community forum is to attempt to help BB users get the most that they can out of their BBs (under whatever the factual operating circumstances may be).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Well said.
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Telus

Can't get the Blackberry Desktop Manager to work. The original version 4.7 I got with my Storm 9530 used to work ok with the Storm but now even have problems there. I now have a Torch 9810 and can't get the Desktop to work properly. I have tried with the 4,7 version and the 6.1 version of Blackberry Desktop but can get to the point where it is going to backup the files (getting to this point is next to impossible sometime) but when you click to backup the phone a message that comes up most often is "Rim auto update has encountered a problem and must be closed or sometimes a message stating "Rim transcoder has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. I am runing Windows XP with SP2, 700GB Hard Drive and 4GB's Ram. I am not interested in the media sync and don't usually load that app. Just want to back up my Blackberry. Any assistance would be appreciated...........Bob

Guru I

michaelthorson wrote:

With all due respect, if the phone is manufactured by Blackberry, the warranty is provided by Blackberry, and the Desktop Manager is software created and released by Blackberry, then I'm sorry but the above answer is simply misguided.  The product and its related software should be supported by Blackberry.  Period.

Do you call Verizon to get support for your iPhone?  No.  Do you call ATT to get support for your Windows Phone?  No.

I don't know about Verizon, or ATT, or Apple's phones or Windows Phones. And it is absolutely not the point here, because I do not care. I am not in an iOS community or a Nokia community, I am in a BlackBerry community.

People come here for support, the discussion is named "Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails". I am not here to teach anyone anything. The laws of buyer/seller are the same in the BlackBerry realm as it is the same for any other brand.

As a future consumer, you have the power to not buy a BlackBerry. This is what you say in your reply.

But as an existing consumer, you have the power to follow the guidelines that the seller gives you to get support. You are of course free to refuse to contact your seller (which is, I repeat it, your carrier and not Research In Motion), and you are also free to sell or trash your device. But if you are here to get help, we give help as much as possible within the limits of the amount of free time we accept to give you. And our help is to tell you that the fastest way to get support is through your carrier. And this is what I say in my reply.

Note that this is just some advice, and as always a piece of advice only engages the one who receives it.

Contributor

Thank you for your kind reply.

My point was made in the hopes that perhaps someone from BlackBerry monitors these forums and would then understand the frustration their customers have with the lack of support for the products they create.  They might then choose to address the constructive criticisms which are made in the spirit of improving them as a company, and perhaps saving them from demise.

I observe an ongoing theme throughout the posts in this forum, namely that support capabilities for BlackBerry are sub-par, whether directly from BlackBerry, or from the phone company selling the phone.  Either way, the feedback I see here routinely describes it as poor.  Even if it is meant to be the phone carrier's primary responsibility, this is still a problem for BlackBerry, as many customers perceive them to be responsible for supporting their phones.  As you point out, this perception is probably wrong (although I would still argue in the case of the Desktop Manager software solely produced and delivered by BlackBerry through its own website, that it is not wrong).  In any event, it really doesn't matter if the perception is right or wrong, it's still ultimately an issue for RIM. 

As you so wisely state, the laws of buyer/seller in the market will prevail.  I believe that if their devices are perceived to be poorly supported, people will not buy them.  I also believe that judging by the sharp drop in market penetration I am not alone.  I do not wish to see the demise of RIM, and I certainly do hope that someone from RIM is monitoring these posts closely to try and understand their customers' needs better and address them.

And, for your edification, since you seem to be so hung up on this point... yes, I did contact my carrier about this problem.  They uncategorically denied they are responsible for providing support for the Desktop Software.  They referred me to RIM.  Which brought me to this forum.

Best,

Mike