Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

JVM Error 513

Need some help here guys

iMac: G5

OS 10.6 Snow Lepard

BB: 8310 (Use = 1 yr)

Carrier: AT&T (Locked)

History: No problems ever

Current History - Problem:

Downloaded the new BB Desktop operating system tonight (BlackBerry Desktop Manager 1.0.1 build 2 For Mac OS 10.5+). Reboot and connected USB to BB - Update started and progressed until approx. 50% complete - 

Error message "B.B.D.M. failed to connect to your B.B. devise. Reconnect your devise and try again" - Did that - Same error message - Disconnected USB from computer - BB goes into White screen with "JVM Error - 513 / Reset" - Hit reset - Same screen - Retry - Same screen - Take battery out, wait 1 min/Replace - Same Screen - Take battery SIM and MeM card(s) out - Replace battery - Same Screen 

Now have a paperweight where I usta' have a life - Where is Blackberry support on this one - Need this ASAP!!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8830 WE

Re: JVM Error 513

Hey, sorry for your pain...in any case...did you make a back up before trying to install new software?  I hope so.  Go here to unbrick your phone:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/how-un-brick-blackberry-mac-336488/

take your time and be patient.  Also make sure you have removed ALL syncing software from your mac before installing DM...if you didn't then uninstall all of it, trash it, empty trash, restart and repair permissions and then reinstall DM.

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
New Contributor

Statman - Thanks!! - Hope the back up is in place, We'll See - Do I really have to empty Trash??

New Contributor

Never mind - Just read the link - Will let you know.

New Contributor

YES - This did work!!

Took about and hour total time (Comcast Cable line) But it did get me back up.

I will post some issues that were not exactly as the link said but THE ABOVE PROCEDURE/LINK will get your phone back to functioning.

You may have to play with the number of times it stalls, But it did work for me. I now have a WORKING phone again. Lost my Calender files. Addresses were saved. Call history and notes saved as well. Will update more as I find out.

Statman - I can not THANK YOU enough for the post - Got my life back. Funny (Not Ha Ha either) how dependent/slave we have become to our technology. 

My Friend, that I will never meet, THANK YOU!!

Trusted Contributor

Glad it worked out...and yes I know how we get tethered to the technology.  Just always remember to make back ups.

cheers!

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
New Contributor

OK people here is my journey through this:

1. Listen too or learn from Statman! Look 'em up on here!
  2. I was never sure if I made a back up or not. But if your holding a useless Brick/Paperweight Blackberry, backups are the least of your worries. You just want a phone back, right?
  3. OK – This procedure performs an “unbrick” of your phone. In other words, it gives you the ability to talk and text again. Nothing more, nothing less; NOTHING more is promised or should be expected. You get your phone operational again. That’s it. If by some miracle you had a back up made, MAYBE this will restore some of your files. This is NOT a magic restore. It simply makes you functional again. (Which is something you may be praying for.)
  4. Statman’s (GREAT) Advise - Take your time and be patient.  Also make sure you have removed ALL syncing software from your mac before installing DM...if you didn't then uninstall all of it, trash it, empty trash, restart and repair permissions and then reinstall DM. (I did not empty the trash (but I did Uninstall all Blackberry files) and it still restored my Phone. Results will always vary)
  5. Go to the website Statman list’s above! -  Read it ALL. Then decide if you need more help. If Yes, Come back here and lookup Statman.
  6. I went through 1,2,3,4 exactly, 
  7. At #5 (After about 5 min or so DM will prompt you for the password to your device if you have one. From there it will ask you what OS you want to load onto the device. It will then begin the process of Downloading the files.) This took 10 min and when the screen popped up, I did not get to click on the selection, I just clicked on the highlighted box. (I wish I could remember what it said)
  8. The next part really confused me because it was not like the instructions said. Here’s the quote:

During this time the phone will usually shut off automatically before the program can finish downloading the files. You have to disconnect the device and quit out of DM. Re-plug in the device and it will sit for a moment before going through step #5 again. Sometimes this has to be done 2-3 times.

My mac never shut off. Ever. It just stayed on, not downloading anything. (I know this because I watched the lights on my modem, and the download lights were dark)

9.   Next Step: (#6. After the OS is downloaded the program will begin loading it onto the phone. At this point the phone will shut off again and the wipe process is essentially complete.)

10.                 This (#6) never happened for me.  In fact my phone NEVER shut off on it’s own. I disconnected it at every stage manually. I disconnected it at every stage that the instructions said it would happen automatically. I just waited WAY past sure that the program was finished (Thus the hour time frame).

11.                 (#7) This was where I had the most trouble. I kept waiting for the “Devise to restart” even after the progress bar was at the end/100%. So I waited and waited and waited, finally I disconnected my USB from the phone (EVEN THOUGHT THE SCREEN SAYS NOT TO THIS) (I got frustrated).

12.                 (#8 took a long time – 5/6mins) I waited for the phone to reboot on it’s own (took a little while – 2/3mins.) But after about 10 minutes it came back up at the “Set-up” prompt.

13.                 Had to go throught a few set up things to get it back to the home screen then it was back working,.

14.                 Home screen was all wrong. But most of my data was still there.

15.                 Was a glutton for punishment, and loaded the 1.0.1 Mac Desktop Manager back on. Did a restore to see what would happen. Restored all my preferences back - AND - Pictures and Backgrounds. (LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY S.O.B., cause I still do not remember ever performing a backup of that stuff.

16.                 I did loose my Calendar files. Have not been able to find them. (Small price to pay at this point)

Well that’s my story – Hope it helps

Contributor
My Device: Hungary - Blackberry 9700

Please help, im stuck at # 4 and # 5...

after I connect the phone to te mac and the DM pops up. it says device waiting to start, after that the blackberry unit shuts down and the red LED lights and in the DM is says connecting, After a few minutes the DM shows device failed to start and repeats the same process over and over. What should I do?  The evice doesnt even ask for my password and it did'nt ask me  what OS should i load on the phone. I have a blackberry 9700 with OS 5.0.321 it think. please help

New Contributor

I am a new MAC user. It's MAC OS X. I have a BB bold and just downloaded the new DM 2 days ago. Syncing the address book worked but not iCal. My girlfriend downloaded Pocket Mac 3 months ago but it's under her account. The new DM is under my account. I read your post and I wonder if I have to delete Pocket MAC even if it's under a different account. Is it interfering with the new DM?

Also, I wonder if I am better off using Gmail calendar since it can be synced wirelessly, correct?

Trusted Contributor

If you have any previous syncing software installed, it will interfere with DMFM...

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL