Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

My Device: Not Specified

Re: LATEST DESKTOP MANAGER FOR MAC DOES NOT WORK!!!

I have the Storm2 and a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.4.  For about two months I could sync properly.  Then DM started duplicating my contacts and tasks on my Blackberry.  Later I noticed that anything that I edited on the BB would not be changed on the Mac.  It would just register as two different addresses.

Today I decided to erase the address book on the Mac and start over.  The sync seemed to go fine, but when I looked at the address book on my Mac, only 12 names out of 292 had transferred.

I have no idea what's going on with this.  Fortunately I don't need the contact list on my Mac, though it would occasionally be nice to have.  I suspect this has something to do with the different database categories on the BB and Mac, but for now I'm only using the Mac to create backups.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Just throwing my two cents in as well.  DTM and Blackberry is a PIA.

I notice while reading the frustration of others here, that the

biggest complaint and maddening aspect of using DTM to

sync with our Macs is that it will work quite well in terms of

syncing iCal, Tasks, Contacts, etc. and then, suddenly

for no reason, change or alteration on the users' part, it won't.

When it is working just fine one day, and then the next

time you sync--doing the exact same thing you've done

for weeks and months, not changing one iota of your

routine, your software, your equipment or any other variable-to

have it not work for some screwy reason that you just

don't have time to track down, it is as Lance says

MADDENING!!!!  Aarrrugghgrrgh!!

One of the most powerful ways to keep people on

edge, get 'em angry and turn them off completely

is to create an inconsistent experience for them.

RIM has succeeded in doing just that as well as causing

Mac users to lose trust in them.  No wonder iPhone is king.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour
My Carrier: Verizon

Works with Tour, Must be a Bold or Curve error.

My Device: storm 2
My Carrier: verizon

Hey Lance,

Did you ever get a reasonable response to your intial post?? I am so disappointed that I cannot have updated software on my brand new storm two ... because I have a MAC and not a PC!? That's absurd.  I scrolled through the responses you got and no one seems to offer a reasonable solution.  I'm not going out and buying a PC just so that I can have a BB that functions properly. 

Thank you for your post! Mara

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Hi Mara,

I spoke with someone at RIM and all they could say was that they're working on it. She did not have any idea when a solution would be found. I have no faith in their ability to satisfy mac users...ever. It's just not going to happen.

It is pretty safe to say that mac users are way down on the priority list for them. Quite a shocking attitude given that the iphone is kicking their butt. And it is only going to get worse now that they've entered the business market with the ipad. More businesses will adopt the iphone because of it and because of the new business infrastructure apple will provide businesses for the phone.

I told the executives at RIM this would happen before the first iphone was released, but they didn't seem to care too much. I bet they're shocked at how quickly people are replacing their BBs with iphones. It's not difficult to understand why their stock is still about 65% off its high, while apple is at an all time high - way way up.

They should have hired me to run their Mac division as I suggested to them - anyone could do a better job than whom ever is running it now...if there is someone running it.

I hope Basillie and Lazaridis bought Apple stock as a hedge on their stock.

-----------------------------------------------
Lance
My Device: storm
My Carrier: verizon

I purchased a storm and it has been a night mare.  The so called manager for mac does not work leaving most of us to the couple of other companies out there pushing there software and good luck with that.  Its amazing how RIM Blackberry does not care about its mac users or so i at least feel this way. The iphone is the best at what it does working on both platforms with no problems. I am so disappointed in this item and that i purchased it.

FYI     If you try another manager for mac? try making it to see the unit first and the card.  I cant see how that is a major problem.  Good luck being the number 1 business phone. 

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: MTN

It took me a few days to get to this solution: The problem revolves around Mac OS X operating 64-bit, and Blackberry Desktop Manager operating 32-bit. So, you need to restart your mac while holding down the keys 3 and 2 at the same time, which will boot your Mac in 32-bit. You will then be able to sync your information with Blackberry Desktop Manager. When you restart your mac again, it will go back to 64-bit.

New Contributor
My Device: BB Onxy 9700
My Carrier: Sk Telecom

I just got a new Bold 9700 but when I put the software desktop user tool in my Mac (2011 model) it does not install. Should I be doing what you say in shutting down and holding 3 and 2 key and then restarting? What does this do? Can you tell me exactly when and what to do again? I am not good at computer stuff.
I have been lost since I got the BB. Also, my yahoo.com cannot be set up as another email in BB. Hotmail.com works beautifully, easy to set up, but not the yahoo.com

Help?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: MTN

You are going to have to download blackberry desktop software. It is available from the Blackberry website. Make sure you download the version for Mac. Once it is installed plug your blackberry in, and if the blackberry desktop software does not recognise your blackberry, then you will have to restart your mac while holding down the 3 and 2 buttons.

I won't be able to help with the e-mail setup. You should call your cell provider helpdesk, they will sort it out.

New Contributor
My Device: BB Onxy 9700
My Carrier: Sk Telecom

Thank you. I managed to download the desktop and plugged in my BB to sync,  then I LOST all the contacts that the nice lady at the shop helped me to transfer from my old phone, (Diff number, diff carrier). She did it online and I don't know how she did it. How did that happen? Now i have no more contacts in my bb, how do I get them back? Should that happen in syncing? I am afraid to plug my bb into my Mac now..... Sorry, but help!