Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
eysie
My Device: Not Specified

Looking for Blackberry Storm Desktop Manager Download

I have the new storm and had to uninstall the desktop manager because it stopped working for some strange reason. I  was wondering if anyone has the link to download the latest version online ? Thanks in advance
JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Looking for Blackberry Storm Desktop Manager Download

Download Desktop Manager from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

You want v4.7

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
TXPamIAm
My Device: n/a

Did the new download work?   If not - don't forget to check the USB cable.  They do fail...even ones not long out of the box.

Contributor
Candy

I downloaded the new desktop manger and I can not use the media manger when click start it says this is an invalid installation, please install again.

i try repairing it but tht don't work either, should i just take it out and then reinstall it?. I downloaded "Blackberry Desktop Software v4.7

Desktop Manager 4.7.0 B59 English - With Media Manager 

do i need to download anything else?

Thanks.

fred1081

Blackberry Desktop Manager Software problems:

For those of you having problems of system slowdown and crashes of your media programs with the Blackberry “Desktop Manager Software” the problem is actually simple; the problem is deliberate from Blackberry and passed on by Verizon Wireless, and is a program flawed to the point of being Deliberate Malware provided by Blackberry (aka “RIM” aka “Research in Motion”) thorough Verizon Wireless services most probably to insure that only Verizon Wireless services manage Video and Music media handling through both your computer and your cell phone.

Below, at the bottom of this, is the reply from Blackberry to me after I spent a few days trying to work with them to discover the problems with this software crashing while trying to handle Media Files; and for those of you who have Verizon Wireless, they were not only fully aware of the problems, Verizon Wireless simply doesn’t care since the apparent purpose of the software is to lock the user unto using only Verizon Wireless services for Music and Video downloads and management.  

I purchased a new Blackberry 9550 “Storm2” (Two of them actually) and installed the provided Desktop Manager Software  into my computer, and then  noticed slower start times on my computer, and the “Roxio Media Manager 9” Provided for “Media” settings in the software crashing for no explained reason. Consulted both Verizon and Blackberry for a few days to try to help them find the problem, without realizing the software was the problem.

I had the full “Roxio Creator Premier Blu-ray” media handling program installed in my computer before this, and that was upgraded at my own expense from the original basic package provided with the computer by Dell Computers. I did not notice that, after installing the Blackberry Desktop Manager program, my “Roxio Creator Premier Blu-ray” program had completely disappeared from the computer. The smaller much less capable “Roxio 9” installed with Blackberry Desktop Manager used for simply shifting files into and out of the phone had destroyed it deliberately. All of the other functions provided by a complete Media Management Program “Roxio Creator Premier Blu-ray”, such as burning ISO files, had disappeared.

Problems: The Blackberry Desktop Manager Software provided as an add- on CD with the Blackberry phones provided by Verizon Wireless is bloated software that slows the system down noticeably; and is a destructive program designed deliberately to go into your computer and remove any competing Media Management programs.

Solutions: DO NOT INSTALL the “Blackberry Desktop Manager software” into your computer; do not buy anything with the Blackberry name on it, do not use Verizon Wireless. And if this happened to you and you wish to know who you can effectively complain to (Verizon Wireless and Blackberry could care less if you complain to them.) simply send your complaints to the two below listed copy addresses I am sending this to.

c. Federal Trade Commission

cc. Better Business Bureau

Below is the e-mail to me from Blackberry and his suggestion don’t work and don’t restore my: “Roxio Creator Premier Blu-ray” media handling program.

“Hello Fred,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

The majority of the Dell XPS systems come with a version of the Roxio media manager or the Roxio Creator burning software preinstalled on the system.  Installing the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software and opting to install the Roxio Media Manger into this configuration will cause a conflict with the previously existing Roxio version resulting in a program failure.  Also disabling the Roxio startup in msconfig will also decrease the overhead in starting the system.  I would suggest uninstalling the Roxio portion off the system and depending on which program you use install that one as the sole version on the system, alternately go in and reinstall the Roxio Creator software after the BlackBerry Desktop manager to overwrite the conflicting files. 

If file transfer is the sole reason that you are interested in using the Roxio version that came with the Desktop Manager might I suggest that you use the mass storage mode instead?  It will engage the BlackBerry as a mass storage device while attached to the system via USB and allow you to drag and drop the files to the BlackBerry. 

As far as using a CD as opposed to the downloaded version, I would usually suggest the downloaded version for the sole reason that it is a more up to date version of the software.  However, functionally speaking the desktop manager portion of the program is fairly interchangeable. 

Once the Roxio conflict has been resolved the desktop manager should function normally. 

Should you require further information on this subject, please let us know.
Sincerely,

Craig
BlackBerry Customer Support
Research In Motion Limited”

JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

fred1081 - Please don't triple post on the forums. It is rude.

Likewise, this is a user-to-user community support forum. Where others help others. I don't see any helpful information in your post.

The fact that you are contacting the Federal Trade Commission and the BBB should be good enough for you. Those are perfect routes for you to take if your goal is get relief in the forum that you obviously have chosen.

You aren't seeking assistance, and you have never posted here before in search of a solution.

You have a rant to make about something you are sore about, and it has no place here.

If you have a beef against RIM, write the CEO a letter, but keep the forums clean of your whining.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code