Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Media Manager SUCKS! Help

Ok so i've had my 8300 Curve for sometime now. I have a Windows xp 2gig ram and a P3 processer. I have a really decent computer that does pretty much everything.

HOWEVER! When i load up my Desktop Manager and click on Media Manager.... Media Manager runs EXTREMELY SLOW often freezing and i have to pull up task manager to exit it. Sometimes i get lucky and i'm able to throw some music or pictures on my phone before it goes retarded. I new as soon as i bought the phone and installed the software and saw the name Roxio i was in for it. I hate Roxio everything. 

Does anyone have any tips on improving performance with Media Manager?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Media Manager SUCKS! Help

What version of the Desktop Manager are you using? If not using 4.6, uninstall of the version you have currently installed using this prodedure: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206. Afterwards download 4.6 from here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

There's two options to choose from, with or without Media Manager. If you choose to try media manager again you may run into the same problem (can do a search on the boards for media manager to find out more infomation about that if you choose)

Regardless of which version of the Desktop Manager you choose it's recommended to buy a microSD card to store your media files on, so you don't run out of memory on your device.

Depending on what OS your BlackBerry is tells you what size microSD card you can buy. You can check under Options | About (will be listed as v4.xx.xxx). Look at the chart at the following link to see what size you can obtain - http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05461

On the BlackBerry go into Options | Media Card. Recommended media settings are as follows:

Media Card support : ON
Encryption Mode : NONE
Mass Storage Support : ON
Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected : YES

Mass Storage mode allows your BlackBerry to act as an extra drive when connected to your PC. So it will show up as an extra drive letter in Windows Explorer. So you don't need the Desktop Manager media manager version if you choose to go with this method because you can just drag/drop media files onto your media card

Hope this helps

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I bear with you, Roxio suxxors.

why do you need the Media Manager for exactly ?
most can be done with the regular Windows Explorer :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...

if you want to convert video, you can do that without Media manager.
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=General_Functions&thread.id=2898&jump...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

I dont need Media manager? I use it to put pictures and music on my phone. Dont i have to "convert it for optimal playback"? Thats what i thought it was for.

And yes i have a MicroSD card (4gig)

I have Destop Manager 4.3 

I'll give the upgrade a shot and see how that goes.

So all in all i dont need Media Manager to put music / pictures on my phone?

Elite I

You don't need it.

I use it fine with 4.6, but as you can tell other people's experiences will vary.

The supported file types on a BB can be found here: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05482

Sometimes if I'm in a rush and don't feel like using the media manager, I just connect the BB to my computer and use it's mass storage mode to add files to the media card.

So you DON'T need it. Or are you trying to use a file format that's not supported?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Rosie684 wrote:

So all in all i dont need Media Manager to put music / pictures on my phone?

You can use it. but you don't have to if you don't want to. I don't want to. Please read the two links I have provided.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I downloaded 4.6 with media manager and everything seems to be running smoothly... for now.. **bleep** roxio! haha.

I didnt know i was able to just drag files directly to the folder in the phone. Thats conveniant. 

Thanks again.

Elite I

OK. Can you resolve the post when you get a chance? Thanks
New Contributor

uhhhh how do i go about that?
Elite I

Put a check in the post that resolved the issue for you