Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Media Manager for Curve 8530.

I have just purchased the Blackberry curve 8530, loaded the Desktop software on my laptop but when I try to use Media manager I am told to install, so I click install.

I get a message telling me to put in the Desktop manager CD, and run the BB desktop manager software again to include Media Manager or try again when my laptop is connected to the internet.  I do not want to uninstall and reinstall the desktop software, and I am connected to the internet but I cannot load the media manager software.

Any suggestions?  I do not have a microSD media card, do I?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Media Manager for Curve 8530.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Media Card or not is irrelevant. Typically, what you do is download a DTM package that either has MM or does not. It's not supposed to be a separate installation. It's not supposed to prompt when you try to run it. It's supposed to install as part of the DTM install process. So something went wrong.

So, contrary to what you wish to do, I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

• Some have reported that there are more registry keys to remove than are discussed in that KB

• Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchronizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.