Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
mhayes
My Device: z10

Mobile Internet v6

Hi, I recently upgraded to windows 7, and had to download the new Blackberry Desktop software v6. Everything seems to be working fine, except for the mobile internet. Which is kind of important for me.

I've read a few other posts, but haven't found anyone with the same issue as I.

So basically, I go to tools, and then click on "mobile internet settings..." and I get a window with a red X  that pops up and says: "Failed to start Mobile Internet - Initialization of Mobile Internet failed."

and at the bottom left hand corner, when I click on the mobile internet button, I get a little pop up that says:

"Failed to start Mobile Internet

Initialization of Mobile Internet failed.

Please check your profile settings and make sure your radio is turned on. This service might also have been turned off by your wireless service provider or your administrator."

So... where do I find my "radio"? and how do I make sure it's on... I find this kind of ridiculous, since it worked on the version5 software without any problems... and from what I've been reading from other posts, it's as if RIM released this software without even trying it to see if it works!

DEAR RIM, HERE'S AN IDEA, BETA TEST YOU SOFTWARE!!!!

Anyway, if anyone has come accross this issue, and has found a fix, please let me know.

I'm running a macbook, using bootcamp, with a legit version of windows 7. (and for the love of god don't tell me it's because I'm running win7 on a mac because I'll freaking lose it, it's not the issue! it was working fine before with v5 on xp, running on my macbook)

I have the Blackberry Bold 9700, on the Telus Network (canada, obviously) and indeed have a data plan that enables me to tether.

Thanks.

Mike

Please use plain text.
matludlam
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Mobile Internet v6

I have exactly the same problem with Windows 7 on a Lenovo PC (so not Mac specific).

I have a Bold 9000 that was running fine with V4.X of the OS (i.e. it would do mobile internet) and the desktop software was V6.0.1.18.

I upgraded my handset to V5.0.0.1036 and it now fails with mobile internet.  I have not changed the Windows version or desktop software so I think it relates to the handset upgrade.

Help appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Sanchia
My Device: 9100
My Carrier: Bmobile

I'm experiencing this same problem.. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1545 and just upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and now cannot connect to the internet through Blackberry Desktop Software. I keep getting the same "Failed to start Mobile Internet - Initialization of Mobile Internet failed." message.
HELP!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bhushanmurudkar
My Device: blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Airtel

Me too. I upgraded my plan to Rs 899 for internet on my blackberry & my laptop. Firstly no internet profile appeared in mobile internet setting. Also "add custom profile" was greyed out. I tried to search solution on net but nothing. Airtel helpdesk on 7070 just said "this is not possible, profile should appear." Somewhere i read the blackberry usb and modem driver will do the job. Hence downloaded the driver. But it required Windows XP Service pack 3 to run. So downloaded that installed the driver but no change. I updated the Blackberry destop software. After which mobile internet setting did not open at all instead gave the message with a big red cross "initialization of mobile internet failed". I hope blackberry techie do read these posts and provide a actual workable solution. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bhushanmurudkar
My Device: blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Airtel

Hello 

Are the blackberry techies on leave.. if I do not get a solution in next 5 days i am discontinuing the service.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Sashko
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

My Bold 9700 would tether no problem via Desktop Manager 6 for the longest time, however at one point a few months ago I started getting the error in question and I haven't been able to get it working since. It still works fine on m'lady's netbook and m'lady's Pearl 3G 9100 comes up with the exact same error on my notebook, so the prob is definitely within my notebook.

Since I've tried re-installing (which seems to have fixed this issue for just about anyone whose related posts I've found online), I've been unable to resolve this issue.

We need manual uninstall instructions for DM 6 on Windows 7, as the only knowledge base article I've been able to find on BlackBerry.com ( http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206 ) says that the way to do it is uninstalling through "Programs and Features" and that doesn't fix it. Please help!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abgrxenda
My Device: Pearl Flip 8220
My Carrier: ZAIN Kuwait

Hi Guys,

I have the exact problem mentioned in this Topic, I hope the following images shows the steps of the problem, and hope a good technical from BB could assist solving this issue

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abgrxenda

Is there any one could solve this problem yet? if someone knows the answer please help, it sound like i had to format my notebook and reinstall windows in order to make it work again, this is ridiculous, please help

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abgrxenda

Hi, the following solution will enable you to connect using the USB but it does not solve the Desktop Software, and as you going to read you will need the Desktop Software to be opened, I tried this work around and worked for me, thanks to the guy who did the effort collecting the ideas from the mentioned guys in this link, I still donlt know why one of my notebooks can do the connection fine and the other has errors as showing in the screen shots above

www.l0pht.com/dildog/bb-win-tether/index.html
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Sashko
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

I've tried that solution, and it doesn't work for me, especially considering the Bell/Virgin Mobile Canada settings aren't listed. In fact, things seemed a lot simpler when I was with Rogers in that respect. I do still have the connections created by Desktop Manager in Windows that used to work, but they no longer do.

The work-around that has however been working for me has been using Tether for BlackBerry found at tether.com however the license for that app isn't free, so unless you already have a license for it, I don't think that work-around will be viable for most of us :-(
Please use plain text.