Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9300
Accepted Solution

Multiple errors when syncing and cannot install media or apps

I had some problems uninstalling apps from my new BlackBerry Curve 9300 -- the phone froze and I foolishly disconnected it from my Mac without "ejecting" it -- and now I am having big problems syncing. I cannot add media or new apps to the BB and when I tried resetting the phone by removing the battery I encountered the following error message: "Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error".

In addition, when I connect the BB to my Mac with the USB cable I get the following error from Mac OS: "Mac OS X can't repair the disk 'NO NAME." The BB appears on my desktop as a read-only disk.

I can sync information (contacts and calendars) but I cannot sync media. The error message is: "BlackBerry requires write permissions on your media card to sync your media files." Obviously, the permissions have been damaged.

And finally, when I try to add new apps to the BB using BlackBerry Desktop Software, I get the following error message: "BlackBerry Desktop Software failed to validate your BlackBerry device update. Aborting install due to validation failure. Some packages contained unsatisfied dependencies."

Yes, so I have created quite a problem. What do I do? I don't mind wiping the BB and starting fresh, but I don't know even how to do that!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I posted this question in this forum because I think it is a Mac-BlackBerry problem, perhaps something to do with disk permissions?

-RE.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Multiple errors when syncing and cannot install media or apps

You will need to format your media card that much is for sure.  I know you can do it from inside the BB in the media icon.  

As for the other part I don't know that portion.  If I was a betting man it sounds like the update doesn't like something on your BB.  Possibly a corrupt app??

Since it doesn't tell you then you can either remove all the extra apps and then try or erase your BB and then start fresh.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Lets try and take issues one at a time.

First lets try repairing the "Mac OS X can't repair the disk 'NO NAME." error.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB25961 The error message "Mac OS X can't repair the disk" appears when connecting the BlackBerry smartphone to a Mac computer

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Well, the "Mac OS can't repair the disk 'NO NAME'" error is gone when I attach the BB to by Mac, and I can also sync media, as well as information.  I can't tell you why this corrected itself; I didn't reformat the media card. However, on the advice of other BB forums, I spent part of last night deleting third party apps and restarting my BB everytime I deleted one. My Mac now seems happy to talk to it.

However, I'm still getting the same errors when I try to install or delete apps through BlackBerry Desktop. I don't have any extra downloaded apps on the BB at this point, only those that came with the phone, which, I suppose, does include some third party stuff. Perhaps Documents To Go is next to be deleted?

Thoughts?

Guru I

Hi,

I'm glad the error is gone. The KB suggested repairing the card. In effect you probably deleted the corrupted data.

There does not seem to be a fix for the desktop manager software other than a clean re-install.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB26839 Unable to install or remove add on applications using the BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac 2.0

KB18771 Installing and uninstalling BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

I opened the log file in Blackberry Desktop and the "unsatisfied dependencies" error was highlighted in red. I don't understand computer logs; however, it seemed to me that Desktop was looking for the BlackBerry Podcase app, which I had deleted. I reinstalled it using BlackBerry AppWorld on my BB and now Desktop and my BB are talking to each other again.

The moral of the lesson: don't ever delete an app on your BB with the word "BlackBerry" in it.

I still don't know how the permissions problem with the media card fixed itself.

Guru I

BikeBerry wrote:

I opened the log file in Blackberry Desktop and the "unsatisfied dependencies" error was highlighted in red. I don't understand computer logs; however, it seemed to me that Desktop was looking for the BlackBerry Podcase app, which I had deleted. I reinstalled it using BlackBerry AppWorld on my BB and now Desktop and my BB are talking to each other again.

Exactly right the desktop could not validate the device installation because the desktop couldn't find the apps it had installed. If you think about it, that's exactly what should have happened. Re-installing the Blackberry Podcast made the count right.

The moral of the lesson: don't ever delete an app on your BB with the word "BlackBerry" in it. Um.... how about the moral is "if you accidentally disconnect your device don't ever delete an app on your BB with any words in it." :Rockon:
Basically the media card appeared to be unformatted to your MAC. You could access and sync your device data, but nothing on the media card. Your device calendar and contacts weren't using the media card, but the podcast app uses the media card.

I still don't know how the permissions problem with the media card fixed itself. You fixed the the problem by deleting the apps and data last night.

In effect repairing the media card when removing data.

The desktop software was trying to sync data and needed specific "write" permissions" to the correctly formatted media card.

Nicely done sir!!

Bifocals

Guru I

Cool!
I'm glad you have it fixed.
Please resolve the thread so others can find your great answer faster.
Thanks,

Bifocals