Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom

Re: New Desktop s/w 7.0xx bundle 044

I performed the uninstall as recommended by article KB02206 including a registry clean many times for both versions 6 and 7 but although the installation finishes normal and successful, the Desktop Software fails to run and creates an error report for Microsoft.

Version 6 worked fine for a long time until the update to version 7 came.

XP Pro with all Windows updates.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

gfreidman wrote:

As a result of having installed the upgrade and removing it - I NO LONGER CAN INSTALL ANY VERSION OF THE DESKTOP MANAGER SOFTWARE - Installer begings to run then I get the Installer help screen and nothing further happens.

Thanks, RIM

Hi gfreidman and welcome to the forums!

Here is the KB that addresses the specific error you are seeing.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB19300 Windows Installer command line parameters information box appears when attempting to install BlackBerry Desktop Manager

"In order to install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, complete the following steps:

1. Rename the BlackBerry Desktop Manager installation file to a .zip extension from an .exe extension.
  2. Extract the contents of the renamed installation file.
  3. Execute the BlackBerryDesktopSoftware.msi file.
  4. Proceed with the installation.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: 9630 tour

You want to know why BB is dying, very simple. It's become a hassle to use, no one's making new apps for it etc. . None of use want s to mess with renaming files, installing/uninstalling and just having to consult forums.  Spending  hours messing with somethng as simple as desktop manager is insane. I used to love my BB.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: VodaFone

The new CEO my like to investigate whether the competition has planted a person in RIM's technical team who is doing the job of spoiling RIM's immage....and also spoiling BB users happiness.....

All the Best....

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64G
My Carrier: Rogers

Well I followed all the instructions.  clean uninstall ( still leaves all kinds of things in the registry). Installed 6.1 that will not work any more. Installes just fine but does not start just like 7. Cleaned again and hand cleaned the registry..... Toke hours last night...  I now have NO Desktop Manager. I will wait for a updated version to come out to try again. Running Windows 7 Home 64b (french).  This software messed something up in Windows because 6.1 will now not work.Worked just fine before.

Guru I

Hi Paul18,

We can use any error information you can provide to help find a fix.

If you want to post the error message here is where you can find it in Windows XP:

• Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
  • Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.

The information that is displayed in System Information is divided into the following five categories:

• Hardware Resources
  • Components
  • Software Environment
  • Applications
  • Internet Explorer

Click on the Software Environment category then click on Windows Error Reporting.

The log lists time, type of error reported and details.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64G
My Carrier: Rogers

Well just to let you all know I tried renaming the exe file to zip and install using the .msi file. Still installes fine but also still crashes on start up. NO solution. Uninstalled again ( 7th time)..  come on guys, fix this thing. :-(

My Device: bb 9900
My Carrier: tim

same here in Italy ! Lost three hours rying to solve the problem and to find an old version of DM 6.1 ... thanks RIM very well done ! Really upset . Apple is much more close to me today ...

Guru I

badge56 wrote:

Well just to let you all know I tried renaming the exe file to zip and install using the .msi file. Still installes fine but also still crashes on start up. NO solution. Uninstalled again ( 7th time)..  come on guys, fix this thing. :-(

Hi badge56,

Thanks for the feedback even though it didn't work.

I take it the "come on guys" was referring to the RIM staff.

Just for the record I'm not affiliated with or compensated by RIM.

The forum is a user to user community so I'm a user same as you.

Thanks,

Bifocals

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

I'm having the same troubles with Desktop software v7.0 B44 (and v6.1.0 B38). RIM has just changed the latest download back to v6.1.0 (but everything else on the page refers to v 7.0!)