Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
badge56
My Device: Playbook 64G

Re: New Desktop s/w 7.0xx bundle 044

rluthe wrote:

same, uninstalled desktop 7, put 6.1, crashes on startup (did not before updating to 7)

no way to sync BB!!

Found a way to completely remove Destop Manager......  This clean uninstall stuff some people have been quoting is BULL.

Removing programs from Windows is easy....   but RIM did a poor job programing the uninstall and leaves all kinds of entries all over Windows. The ones that MUST be removed are the ones in user/app date/ (hidden)..  I am now using 6.1 with success..

Contributor
Paul18
My Device: curve 9300

badge56 wrote:
Found a way to completely remove Destop Manager......  This clean uninstall stuff some people have been quoting is BULL.

Removing programs from Windows is easy....   but RIM did a poor job programing the uninstall and leaves all kinds of entries all over Windows. The ones that MUST be removed are the ones in user/app date/ (hidden)..  I am now using 6.1 with success..

I have once again (probably for the 12th time) uninstalled Desktop Software V6, ran Ccleaner, deleted the text files in user/application data as recommended, downloaded and saved a fresh copy of Desktop Software 610, re-boot the PC and re-installed V610 but it still fails to run and generates an error report to Microsoft.

After all the un-installs, Ccleaner runs, deletion of RIM files, etc the error report generated for Microsoft still contains P2 : 7.0.0.43  in the Error Signiture. Don't know where it gets that version 7 information from -- this is probably also the reason for the consistant failures to run regardless following all the recommended un-install procedures,  etc..

While we are struggling in trying to return to a working Desktop Software, RIM's contributions, if any, in trying to solve our problems still remain invisible.

Contributor
Paul18

Yes, yes -- Success at last after numerous unsuccessful attemps to restore a working Desktop Software service.

All my problems were caused by the BlackBerry Desktop un-install program that does not do a proper cleanup job and leaving numerous files lying around after the un-instal finishes and one or more of these files caused the newly installed version to fail..

Because the error report generated for Microsoft always contained P2 : 7.0.0.43  in the Error Signiture regardless of the installed version of Desktop Software, I searched for possible places where it could get the 7.0.0.43 from..

After the un-install, I found RIM files in c:\windows\prefetch  and after deleting the rim.desktop.....pf  files,  I re-installed 610_b038_multilanguage once again and this time everything worked perfectly. the Desktop software runs without a problem like it used to do in the past before the disasterous V7.0.0.43 upgrade.

Connects to my device, perform backups, etc. Fantastic.

I am once again a happy BB user but without any credit to RIM. In future I will be extremely reluctant to accept any software upgrades from RIM on either my device or PC.

New Contributor
gfreidman
My Device: plAybook

Thanks, but there is nothing left to uninstall automatically.  Somewhere I must have missed a file or registry entry that is preventing the install package from running.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul18,

Well congratulations on your fix. :Clap:

I had just finished typing when I saw your victory message.

I used the detailed error codes you posted to to some "light reading" on

the clr20r3 error. Here's what I found.

This article explains what the error codes mean.

Microsoft Common Language Runtime parameters

( Posted by user Feng Chen on the MSDN forums)

The post by Mr.. Hancock is a very logical and scary explanation of

what caused the installs to fail.

KB977354 On Windows XP

Posted by Trevor Hancock

Microsoft Employee , Forum Moderator

These links are example of  the .NET framework issues

CLR20r3 error Blackberry DM v.61 corrupt .NET install

CLR20r3 error system.missingmethodexception

Here is an Microsoft FIX IT repair program to remove and repair the system..

Microsoft Support Solution Center Repair Program

"Automatically repair program installation issues that installing or removing program fails because of corrupted registry keys or blocked installation."

"What it fixes...

• Removes bad registry key on 64 bit operating systems.
  • Windows registry keys that control the upgrade (patching) data that become corrupted.
  • Resolves problems that prevent new programs from being installed.
  • Resolves problems that prevent programs from being completely uninstalled and blocking new installations and updates.
  • Use this troubleshooter for an uninstall only if the program fails to uninstall using the windows add/remove programs feature."

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
Paul18

Thanks Bifocals.

I must also thank all the other contributors to this forum topic because it gave me guidance as to what could possibly be wrong and how to approach the problem.:Clap:

New Contributor
rluthe
My Device: 8530

Yes, now starting 6.1, and sync! Thanks Paul18

control pael unistall app

delete from c:\windows\prefetch al RIM files

reboot

install 6.1

ta da!

Contributor
Paul18

rluthe wrote:

Yes, now starting 6.1, and sync! Thanks Paul18

control pael unistall app

delete from c:\windows\prefetch al RIM files

reboot

install 6.1

ta da!

I am very glad it also worked for you.  :Clap:

Hopefully RIM will fix their un-install program so that we never have this problem again.