Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
mindplague
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

No Synchronization button / DM4.5/Vista

Hi everyone,

I am trying to help two customers who have Vista laptops (we supplied) and RED Blackbarry 8100's from Vodafone New Zealand.

Basically they could sync fine for the first 6 weeks then everything stopped.

I've downloaded and install DM4.5 and trying to configure it's sync settings, but it refuses to let me change the settings;

Synchronize / Configuration / Synchronize - the SYNCHRONIZE button is un-available!!

I've only managed to get it once and that was okay, everything configured okay, but I didn't realise the issue was in the synching configuration (now I do, and I can't change the settings).

I've even installed the DM4.5 on a fresh Vista PC that's never seen a BB before, and I still cannot access that button to change the settings.

I've install the software as Administrator also, and I've deleted the BB-associates folders till I'm blue in the face and now just totally lost and wondering what the big secret is with BB's and their sync software.

If anyone can help???  The sad thing is Vodafone NZ have just given these two the total run-around and don't seem to care.

New Contributor
mindplague

Re: No Synchronization button / DM4.5/Vista

Further to this - there is the standard directory structure viewable;

:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\

BUT there is no end/sub-folder Intellisync

ODD??

Trusted Contributor
Bolder
My Device: 8320, 8120

[ Edited ]

Hi mindplague

Is the synchronize button gone, or greyed out? 

With the Desktop Manager closed, go to start, run and type in fixmapi - if it works you will not see any message, in fact it looks like nothing happened, so no news is good news :smileyhappy:  This helps if the icon is totally missing.

Cheers!

Message Edited by Bolder on 06-27-2008 07:51 PM
New Contributor
mindplague

Greyed-out at this point...  fiximapi didn't bring it back to life sadly.

Clearly this is something out of the norm, as I can't find many other posts regarding it?

Trusted Contributor
Bolder

[ Edited ]

mindplague

Try to perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then set it up, running the program as administrator, and by this I mean right click the launch icon and select run as administrator - being logged in as admin isn't enough.

**Edit... I just re-read your post.... do you mean u can click the synchronize button,  then click the synchronization item on the left, then the synchronization button on the right hand side is greyed out?  The BlackBerry has to be plugged in and detected by the Desktop Manager for this icon to be active.

Cheers!

Message Edited by Bolder on 06-27-2008 07:59 PM
New Contributor
mindplague

Hi Bolder, yep, got that sorted and worked out (duh)...

I think we're making progress now, I've ended up backing up Outlook's PST, doing a one-way sync from Device to Outlook and then restoring the Outlook PST (merged) and then doing a one-way back to the device and now have set it for two-way.

Let's hope this resolves it...

New Contributor
mindplague

Hey Bolder, well we made progress...  I got contacts and calendar sync'd finally (much better than Vodafone could); however now I have the DM4.5 program crashing/stopping for no apparent reason during/after a sync.

Any idea's on that?

I've done the fix PST tool thing and delete the sync folder stuff...

Trusted Contributor
Bolder

Hi mindplague

A few things that could cause it to crash (and forgive my limited experience with 4.5 it's only been out a week or so)

- A corrupt entry in Outlook or on the BlackBerry

- A corrupt Intellisync folder

- A corrupt mail profile (you can create a new one and use it only with the Desktop Manager)

If it crashes while it isn't synchronizing possibly its a bad install of the software. Perhaps there is something in the 4.5 software that is not getting along well with something in your environment. Now that you have it synching again, you could try doing a clean uninstall and downgrading to Desktop Software 4.3 or even 4.2 sp2.

Cheers!

New Contributor
mindplague

Thanks, I'll keep working on it...

I am taking that this problem is not isolated and I can see a lot of people suffer from the same problem...

Vodafone NZ tried to tell my client they were the only two encountering this problem and they thought it might be because they use the RED 8100 device and not the black one...  yeh right...

Visitor
panda

Synchronizing The Blackberry Pearl 8110

Hey Boulder,

i noticed that your pretty good at figuring this stuff out.

Well im new to the blackberry world and i have a problem.

I Am Trying to synchronize my Blackberry Pearl 8110, and when i get to the step when it says to configure synch (pg 34 stp.3 of the "getting started Guide")

My computer tells me that "Your computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."

Do you know what that means or whats wrong?

please help.

Sara T.