12-11-2012 10:47 AM
I tried to ‘update’ my software on my desktop – runs Win7, and synching to my Blackberry Curve 9360.
That refused to work, but, far worse, it seems to have corrupted a file somewhere in my system.
If I try to synch, I get the message ‘No items found to synch’.
I tried to repair it, and get the message ‘The service you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable’
I tried to uninstall it and I get the message ‘A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\windows\installer\BlackberyyDesktopSoftware.msi
I also tried to reinstall the software including after a system restore to an earlier time.
So I cannot update, I cannot synch, I cannot repair. I cannot revert and I cannot delete. I am not a techie so am completely wiped. Can anyone give me some constructive help?
12-11-2012 11:24 AM
I suggest this thread:
It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.
12-11-2012 02:52 PM
My problem remains that I can neither install any version of the Desktop software nor uninstall it due to the responses in my original message. I've looked at the link and retried everything but it still will not let me do anything. I am the Administrator on this machine so no problem there.
12-11-2012 03:05 PM
Maybe these KBs will help:
Good luck and let us know!
12-13-2012 10:13 AM
Well, two of us spent several hours on this and we found a bit of software to download to enable it to be completely uninstalled, which I've done. Everything accompanied by a computer reboot, I've now installed the Desktop software but it wouldn't let me use the old version so a long download of the new version happened. I ran the synch and got excited when much seemed to work, until I got the dreaded 'MAPI Logon Failed'. I've read KB31838 and tried to do what it suggests, including changing my PST passwords to Outlook but it won't synch. I can't name my PST files Outlook as there are several ones linked to my email accounts. So near and yet so far. Any further ideas?
12-13-2012 12:00 PM
but it wouldn't let me use the old version
That is quite odd...of course, from those few words, I really can diagnose nothing at all. Many folks use the older Desktop Software versions just fine...
I can't name my PST files Outlook as there are several ones linked to my email accounts.
I see no instruction in that KB to attempt this...
Any further ideas?
Workaround 3 in that KB is usually the one that get's things working. Then again, if Cause 1 is the problem, then it's an MS issue (as the KB instructs).
12-13-2012 12:27 PM
I guess if 'd really tried, I could have stuck to the old software but as it seemed about to load, I didn't dare push my luck too far! Pity really, as the new stuff is much slower and much harder to control!
On point 2, the only option I get/got was 'Outlook'. It didn't seem to like that and I could find no other way to configure it towards one particular or several PST file(s).
Workaround 3 did get it going and it seems now to be syncing, but I only got it to do that by disabling the synch of Memos. I haven't dared try to put that one back in - maybe in few days!!