Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Vzw

Re: Oh my god!!! Who approved Desktop Software 7.0???!!!!

Thx. As noted, I went thru the "new release" earlier this year with all the same problems, so I don't look at this as a "new" release. It just makes it the 2nd time I've had to do an uninstall -- along with a lot of wasted time. As to your inability to control RIM's shortfalls, I completely understand and appreciate your position; however, there will be no need to control anything if RIM doesn't rapidly improve their product/support. Just saying...
New Contributor

Okay, as a die-hard BB user I gave it one last shot and discovered there is a KB that addresses the issue:  "CRTtranrec::getlinkedrecordid : Invalid linked record ID".  Try KB31008.  RIM status as of 7/12/12:  This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

I would have to assume the many other different issues with 7.0 noted on the web, since I started looking for a soultion to my own sync problem, have the same status.  These are supposed to be business phones with features to facilitate business "communications."  I personally find it difficult to memorize all of my customer's phone numbers and addresses.  You can buy a much cheaper phone with a basic contacts management capability, I have one as a backup.

Releasing software with fundamental compatibility issues undermines the entire RIM business model and is serious enough in itself, but to respond with "No resolution time frame is currently available" with no recommended work arounds is unacceptable in a business environment.  I have tried out the iPhone 4 and the Droid Razr Maxx (great for social networking) but neither compare to the BB for business purposes; however, RIM is literally driving away loyal customers who truly want to keep their BB.  The sheer incompetence is almost beyond belief.  

New Contributor

And one last try ... solved the contact sync error.  Unfortunately, there was nothing in my fix that pointed to a simple solution.  Through the process of elimination discovered 2 contacts out of nearly 2000 that would not sync/caused sync error noted in earlier posts.  Removed same from sync folder and sync worked.

After examing the two perps found nothing unusual or common between the 2 other than both were old contacts that were created in prior versions of Outlook; both had company names that started with W; neither had been opened/used for quite some time (couple of years) and both were in a subfolder (curiously the same subfolder), but other contacts in same folder sync'd fine after the 2 bad contacts were removed.

After isolating and opening both contacts, did minor updates just to see what would happen (e.g., added category, added/changed email address, etc.), reinserted into folder being sync'd, re-sync'd and all worked as advertised.  Did remove all special characters from folder names prior to identifying the bad contacts, but didn't appear to be the issue and had no effect when trying to sync with the bad contacts.

Apparently there is some minor glitch between the BB software and Outlook (2010 in my case) that causes 7.0 to bomb.  RIM just needs to get a large sample of old Outlook contacts that have gone through several generations of Outlook upgrades (which is probably the issue) and start testing.  A fix for some of the sync issues noted in the various forums would restore some level of credibility to the RIM development team and cool a lot of tempers/angst in the BB community.

Contributor
My Device: Q5 SQR100-2
My Carrier: MTN South Africa

I had endless trouble with Desktop 7, so have uninstalled it and gone back to Desktop 6. Now everything works fine again. RIM, don't release software you have obviously not tested extensively!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Starhub

[ Edited ]

@sdgardne

On the topic of carriers providing the frontline supporting to the BB users, I think it is flawed in itself. Whenever I report a desktop manager issue to them, they ask me to refer it to Blackberry. Circular (endless loop) support model. Smiley Happy

With regards to whether RIM should have made the call to withhold the release of 7.0, I did consider whether it was "just me". I had a few colleagues with the same issue and I had another machine (a laptop), cleanly installed with Windows 7 Ultimate only a month before 7.0 caused the very first problems on that laptop. So I decided that if it weren't going to work for a machine with a clean install with a previous installation of DM 6.x on it, then 7.0 has not been given the level of due diligence needed.

RIM should start acting like it wants to keep its enterprise customers because quite honestly, if you tried to sell/release software into fortune 500 companies including governments and financial insitutions this way, you are going to raise the level of skepticism and further degrade the perception these organisations have of RIM. This will only lead to further decay in overall market share and what is enterprise-grade vs gimmicky trinkets which by the way is where RIM is headed.  

As to your point where the people who have no problems do not post here, that is very true but that is true for all incident reports. If RIM ran a helpdesk, it would have collected the unique data on DM 7's issues as well as its distribution and spread. Knowing how many of their users uses both DM 7 and Outlook is gold.  RIM should have builtin a feature to "ping" back to base usage/configuration statistics that other major hardware/software/mobility companies are implementing into their software stack to increase the level of data they have on what their userbase is doing. Of course, I am guessing they are too busy downsizing, or just fixing the bugs they do know about.

My bet is that if there was a feature that reported who was using DM 7 and DM 6 and how regularly they use it, I bet DM 6 wins out. For now and until they fix 7.0. Smiley Tongue

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2 UK

[ Edited ]

rong8s thanks for your contributions here - you saved me a lot of time.

I have been trying the various iterations of DM 7 since they came out - they have all been a disaster and resulted in a substantial amount of wasted time rolling back to DM 6.1.   I see that 710_b39 is no different...

I have exactly the same error as you:

Synchronization Error:

CRTTRanRec::GetLinkedRecordId : Invalid linked record Id

I chedked KB31008 as which refers to this exact error.  The cause is listed as "An Address Book contact containing a blank contact image may cause the synchronization to fail."  However in my case the error occurred when I was not syncing contacts - I was doing a test sync of the calendar only as I had had previous issues with calendar syncing with DM 7 ( KB32032 ) and wanted to test it.  So it would appear BB don't even know the cause of the error.  I will submit my info to them.

The entire DM 7 introduction has been a shambles - almost a year later and we still don't have a properly functioning release, despite many updates.  I am a loyal BlackBerry user but this needs to be fixed.

For anybody looking to roll back the newest version 6 release is 6.1.0.36 (Bundle 38).  A google search for 610_b038_multilanguage.exe should lead you to a download.