Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: 9000 bold
My Carrier: orange romania
Accepted Solution

Outlook 2010 sync solution - from Blackberry Solution Center

Hi,

Like a very large number of Blackberry users, i had the same problem (SINCE SOME MONTHS NOW) according to the synchronization with Outlook calendar, tasks, etc .

I have found the following "solution" at Blackberry Solution Center:

"Cause

BlackBerry Desktop Manager does not have a compatible connector for Microsoft Outlook 2010.

Resolution

Downgrade the Microsoft Office 2010 environment to a compatible version of Microsoft Outlook."

How is this possible ??? Blackberry is supposed to be a BUSINESS phone, so the sync with a new Outlook version must be a PRIORITY for the manufacturer/RIM.

The connector for Outlook 2010 is a very small effort for the software producer, in fact the difference is the root to Outlook folders and not other complicated programming stuff.

I hope that this message (and many other, posted here and on different forums) will be considered by Blackberry / RIM and somebody will act. I repeat: IT'S AN ONE DAY EFFORT TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BY RIM - let's say 2 days !!!

A BB BUSINESS USER

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Outlook 2010 sync solution - from Blackberry Solution Center

Yeah, but it's a beta product!  I'm sure it will be compatible by the time the product is released.  If you run a beta product you have to expect that some things won't work until at least after full release.

Besides, the x32 Office 2010 works fine with my Blackberry.

Oh, and judging by your "it will only take one day" shows a complete lack of understanding of both software development and the difficulties of intergrating with a 3rd party product. :smileywink:

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jules75 wrote:

Oh, and judging by your "it will only take one day" shows a complete lack of understanding of both software development and the difficulties of intergrating with a 3rd party product. :smileywink:

... depends on the "software development" requirements. As i said, the integration with Outlook 2010 means to change the root to the data folder, nothing more. There are no other major changes from 2007 to 2010 according to BB sync. So 1 day is quite ok as time efforts to change few programming rows.:smileyhappy:

Yes,  i know that there are procedures and tests but what i mean, in fact, is that BB is business related and the integration with Outlook must be a priority. As there are some months since the 2010 beta was released, i think that a BB (beta, too) connector for it would be very usefull for many and many BB users. They have already changed to the new office version. For example i work now on 2 pc - only because of this connector, in order to update my BB/ PC calendar, tasks, etc. It's really difficult, each day, to copy/paste the data from one pc running 2010 to another running 2007.:smileysad:

... so i still hope and wait the day to download a version with a Outlook 2010 "beta" connector!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Well, I'd hope they'd spend more than a day testing it!  :smileyvery-happy:

Beta products quite often change specification and functionality as testing is going on so it's hardly suprising that they haven't released a version that is "compatible".

Perhaps it's just me, but it's just Beta software and if some things don't work before release I can live with it.  If people really, really want to use Office 2010, they are going have to accept that some things won't work.  Sure, have a moan at RIM when Office 2010 is released and they haven't fixed it then, but until then...

Besides, as I've said before, it works fine on the 32-bit version of Office 2010.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor

Jules75 wrote:

Beta products quite often change specification and functionality as testing is going on so it's hardly suprising that they haven't released a version that is "compatible".

I know very well what "beta" means. That's why i mentioned that i wait for a "beta" version of BB Desktop Software, with a "beta" connector for Outlook 2010 "beta". Do i ask too much from the sw developer of the world no 1 business mobile device? 

I am sure you don't use the new Office version, so you don't have to do each day a manual operation to update your BB device. But please remember that there are already millions of Outlook 2010 users - and i wonder how many of them own a BB and how many of them are doing the same manual work each day, like i do.

If i am right and only the root folder address is the problem to solve the conector, we, the customers, deserve this "beta"connector. 

No offense, this message is not against someone, i am and will be a BB user as long as the device is the best for me and my business. But imagine how interested am i (usually i don't write on forums) if i dedicated so much time to write this suggestion. Businessmen like me don't have time to write on forums and if we do it, it means that we really have a serious requirement.

My daily business is organized via Outlook; i need the new beta Outlook because it is better than the 2007 and i have to sync it with my mobile because i am in meetings each day. So, i ask my secretary each day, sometimes 2 times, to copy/paste data ... 

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: ATT

It is very disappointing that RIM has not produced a fix for this.  Yes, I understand that Office 2010 is in beta testing, but that is no excuse.  Power business customers, like those who have been loyal to Blackberry over the years, are the very ones who have installed and upgraded to the Office 2010 beata suite.  Not having sync functionality between the smartphone and PC is simply not an option and RIM should know that.  Could this be just one more reason to leave Blackberry for one of the I-phones?

Contributor

billbunch wrote:

Could this be just one more reason to leave Blackberry for one of the I-phones?

No, but these messages are a strong reason for RIM to act. I can't understand the way they think and don't have a focus strategy on the applications for their core customers ... 

... like many, i am still waiting for RIM ...

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I'm sure it's being worked on and upcoming releases of DM will likely includ support for 2010. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodaphone UK

[ Edited ]

Disagree 100% a beta is not meant to be used in production environments. It is for testing, RIM will be testing and making the changes needed. Office 2010 RTM has just now been released. With the release date set for June

I use betas just not with critical data.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint (Their the best)

Believe some are missing the point of BETA.  No company is going to spend the time/money creating a beta of their own program to be compatible with a 3rd party BETA program, especially only for a single option.  That would be a waste of time/money.

The chance of a beta program going through testing and not needing to be changed in anyway before full release is slim to none.  BETA testing is voluntary, you don't NEED to use Office 2010 and you should definitely not be using it with your critical data or in a full fledged production.

If RIM comes out with something before the Full Release of Office 2010, Kudo's to them.  But I highly doubt they will.