Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
ss777
My Device: Pearl 8100

Re: Outlook 2010 sync solution - from Blackberry Solution Center

It is unfortunate that Blackberry has decided to not keep up with email technology.

BB's  solution of loading MS Office 2007 first and then upgrading to 2010 is bogus.  Like many others I was running XP and MS Office 2003, never had Vista and MS Office 2007. 

It is certainly not practicle to unload MS Office 2010, spend another $200 and purchase MS Office 2007 just because Blackberry has decided not to support the most commonly used email program in the industry.  I say I spend my $200 else where and get a non-blackberry smart phone, which synchs with Outlook and has a faster browser.

Over the years I have loved my blackberry and the security on a blackberry, but as others I am tired of waiting for Blackberry to come up to speed.  I have an old Pearl which displays html links instead of the actual link in emails and web pages.  I have waited for T-Mobile to get a better blackberry, but the Bold 9700 3G is a dog.  The Curve non 3G is way faster on the browser than the Bold 3G.   I personally  compared live versions of the two phones in a T-Mobile store. 

At this point, with no Pearl 9100 in site nor the blackberry slider,  nor a touch version that does not weigh like a small brick, and the lack of technology to allow synching to Outlook 2010 it looks like it is time to depart BB. 

I specifically bought MS Office 2010 with outlook because Blackberry stated THEY WERE COMPATIBLE with Outlook.  This is not true, so don't waste your money getting Outlook 2010, it does not work just like Windows Live Mail does not work either with Desktop Manager.   BB needs to qualify their website to say they only work with Outlook up to 2003 version.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ss777
My Device: Pearl 8100

Just bought MS Office 2010 with Outlook.  It does not work nor is it recognized by BBDM.  Too bad guys, I too am starting to look at other non-blackberry smart phones. I have waited a year for you guys to offer a better BB to T-Mobile.  Since I like T-Mobile, I will be looking at their other products first.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

ss777 wrote:

... just because Blackberry has decided not to support the most commonly used email program in the industry. 

I might beg to differ with what that part of your statement implies -- inserting of the word "yet" would probably make it a little bit more accurate IMHO.

ss777 wrote:

BB needs to qualify their website to say they only work with Outlook up to 2003 version. 

I might say that they indeed do...see these links:

Hopefully that helps clarify things.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

ss777 wrote:

Just bought MS Office 2010 with Outlook.  It does not work nor is it recognized by BBDM.  Too bad guys, I too am starting to look at other non-blackberry smart phones. I have waited a year for you guys to offer a better BB to T-Mobile.  Since I like T-Mobile, I will be looking at their other products first.

Hello again,

Just to clarify again -- it is my understanding that the carriers and RIM enter into a contractual arrangement as to what devices the carrier chooses to supply to their customers. By doing so, they (the carriers) also sign up to provide all support. Therefore, I believe that it's the carriers who actually decide which devices they will carry.

Hope that helps.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
zaksdad
My Device: Bold 9700 OS V 5.0.0.979

On June 18th I upgraded to Office 2010 from Office 2007 on my XP 32bit. Then I ran BB DTM and had to re-configure my synchronization to Outlook 2010 for my Bold 9700 and everything worked just fine. So I can attest that it IS compatible. Nothing more for me than normal initial set up.

"Search Comes Before Post"
Please use plain text.
mickgroff
My Device: Storm9530

[ Edited ]

I guess it is all fine and dandy for you to change your outlook program on a personal computer to make a Blackberry work, but in my case our company is changing the Outlook program on the server to 2010,  which feeds 1000s of computers and I will be left with no other choice than to eliminate my BlackBerry Storm and find a PDA that will work.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

mickgroff wrote:

I guess it is all fine and dandy for you to change your outlook program on a personal computer to make a Blackberry work, but in my case our company is changing the Outlook program on the server to 2010,  which feeds 1000s of computers and I will be left with no other choice than to eliminate my BlackBerry Storm and find a PDA that will work.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Sorry, but that doesn't quite make sense. Outlook is a client solution...not a server solution. So I'm not quite sure what you are intending to say that they are changing on your server...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
paradisedog
My Device: Curve 8300

I want to chime in on this.  Hopefully RIM will see many disappointed, loyal customers and accelerate the corrective actions required to support Outlook 2010. 

Since most every BB user I know is staying with BB due to its MS Outlook and email capabilities, this is an incredibly bad miss by RIM.  Not to mention being seriously behind the competition in almost every other smartphone feature at this point.

For the first time in years I am spending serious time investigating other phone solutions due to this problem, and the inability of anyone at RIM to answer a simple question of when the support will be forthcoming for Outlook 2010.  Incredible!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
zaksdad
My Device: Bold 9700 OS V 5.0.0.979

paradisedog wrote:

For the first time in years I am spending serious time investigating other phone solutions due to this problem, and the inability of anyone at RIM to answer a simple question of when the support will be forthcoming for Outlook 2010.  Incredible!

But it does work. Outlook 2010 is indeed a client application and works on the desktop with BB DM (hence the name Desktop Manager) and has nothing to do with the server just as the other components of Office 2010, Excel, Word, etc. each computer installation is its own. As I mentioned, I had BB DM 5.0.1 already on my desktop, upgraded to Outlook 2010 from Outlook 2007 and then immediately ran DM to make sure it could sync and it did after I went through the simple DM synchronization process.  How is your situation different? Are you using some of the leaked OS versions? If so, perhaps that is working against you. 

"Search Comes Before Post"
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
byronhuffman
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630

I have the same connectivity issue - running on Windows 7 64 bit, Office 2010 64 bit.  Blackberry Tour worked fine syncing until I installed a software update to 5.0.0.732, then everything started to go haywire.  Talked to Verizon.  Could not straighten it out.  They replaced the phone with a Bold.  Wouldn't sync at all.  Called Blackberry support.  Level 1 said syncing should never have worked to begin with, tried trouble-shooting, nothing worked.  Was transferred to Level 2 support, guy said, "I'm sending you a technical document on this issue."  Email arrived, KB20654, simply stating that Office 2010 is not supported, and he offered no comfort at all on a solution anytime soon.  If your phone syncs, you are lucky.  There are tons of us who are stuck with no good solution.  The more tech savvy users of this board can point to documents here and there which show no support for 2010, but for the average regular business user, when Blackberry advertises Outlook compatibility, we expect it, and we don't care which version it is.  We would have no reason to go looking for such compatibility issues before upgrading to 2010.  And we don't care who's right or wrong - Microsoft, or Verizon or Blackberry - we will simply move on to whatever really works and leave the past behind.

Please use plain text.