Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Mutos
My Device: Curve 8520
Accepted Solution

Outlook Sync problem : bidir sync tells me to delete 300+ entries on Outlook

Hello all,

With my wife, we got 2 BB Curve 8520 and we're now trying to sync both of them with our Outlook 2003 SP3 on XP SP3. Both do the same thing :

1/ First sync goes well, the BB calendar gets filled up,

2/ Everything syncs well during a few days,

3/ One day, the sync tells us it will delete 3000+ elements on Outlook, of course I click Reject and cancel the sync,

4/ I restart OK by synching one-dir from Outlook tp BB,

5/ A few days after, it returns to step 3 and is behaving bad again.

I can't get any durable solution, the only thing I got is a workaround that lasts only a few days.

Our BB version (mine/my wife's) :

- Platform : 4.2.0.118 / 4.2.0.135

- Application : 4.6.1.274 / 4.6.1.314

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who would give us a hint !

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Outlook Sync problem : bidir sync tells me to delete 300+ entries on Outlook

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Mutos wrote:

Hello all,

With my wife, we got 2 BB Curve 8520 and we're now trying to sync both of them with our Outlook 2003 SP3 on XP SP3. Both do the same thing :

Lets do the math!

2 Blackberry's  > 1 Outlook calendar = Should work

2 Blackberry's > 1 Desktop manager = Should be fine.

2 Blackberry's +2 different email addresses > 1 desktop manager > 1 Outlook calendar. Error!! :smileywink:

Unless you each are changing the default email address in Outlook to match the default email address on your individual device, the sync will never work correctly.

Read these and see if they help:

Synchronize the BlackBerry device to another BlackBerry device user's PIM data

Desktop Management  
   BlackBerry Desktop Management  
   In BlackBerry Desktop Management  
   Editing To  
   Synchronizing Wired  

Thanks,

Bifocals

1/ First sync goes well, the BB calendar gets filled up,

2/ Everything syncs well during a few days,

3/ One day, the sync tells us it will delete 3000+ elements on Outlook, of course I click Reject and cancel the sync,

4/ I restart OK by syncing one-dir from Outlook tp BB,

5/ A few days after, it returns to step 3 and is behaving bad again.

I can't get any durable solution, the only thing I got is a workaround that lasts only a few days.

Our BB version (mine/my wife's) :

- Platform : 4.2.0.118 / 4.2.0.135

- Application : 4.6.1.274 / 4.6.1.314

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who would give us a hint !

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
Mutos

Re: Outlook Sync problem : bidir sync tells me to delete 300+ entries on Outlook

[ Edited ]

Hi Bifocals,

Thanks for your answer ! But what does an e-mail address has to do in this ? I just synchronize calendars, not e-mails. And anyway, we never declared any e-mail address on any of the BB.

So I don't understand. Could you please explain me in more details ? I'm an IT pro but a total BB newbie. So I think there's something hidden I didn't get about what the hell an e-mail address is doing on my BB. I just feel like we're in the first case : 2 BB + 1Outlook is OK !

Or might there be something in the internal working of the syncro that makes use of an e-mail address as unique ID for the BBs ? But what e-mail address ? How does it get attached to the BBs ? And why ? I can see no need to relate to e-mail addresses when synching the calendars ^-^

I'll see what I can read about the menu you described as :

Desktop Management  
  BlackBerry Desktop Management  
  In BlackBerry Desktop Management  
  Editing To  
  Synchronizing Wired  

Maybe it'll help me to understand what all this is about. Thanks again for your answer and in advance for any further detail that could help me understand it better ^-^

@+

Mutos

New Contributor
Mutos

Hi all,

For the moment and until I got further elements, I think we'll settle for a one-way synch from Outlook to BB, then if one day I understand why it fails, we'll revert to the normal two-ways synch mode.

Thanks for the hints and thanks in advance for any further reply, I keep the topic open for now...

Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

MOTOS wrote:

Hi all,

For the moment and until I got further elements, I think we'll settle for a one-way synch from Outlook to BB, then if one day I understand why it fails, we'll revert to the normal two-ways synch mode.

Thanks for the hints and thanks in advance for any further reply, I keep the topic open for now...

On the Blackberry go to the calendar,menu , options.

How many calendars do you show? How many records in each?

There is just one that says device default with all the records right?

Check your wifes device as well.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager wants to delete older calendar entries from Microsoft Outlook

Merge calendars

Let us know how it goes!

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor
Mutos

[ Edited ]

Hi Bifocals,

Thanks a lot, seems the "BlackBerry Desktop Manager wants to delete older calendar entries from Microsoft Outlook" entry is the solution ! Indeed I didn't even think the BB might have a default setting of removing 60+days-old elements. Might have been initially to accomodate older, low-mem models and stayed this way.

I'll test it 2-3 days and if everything's OK, I'll mark as solved.

Guru I
Bifocals

Mutos wrote:

Hi Bifocals,

Thanks a lot, seems the "BlackBerry Desktop Manager wants to delete older calendar entries from Microsoft Outlook" entry is the solution ! Indeed I didn't even think the BB might have a default setting of removing 60+days-old elements. Might have been initially to accomodate older, low-mem models and stayed this way.

I'll test it 2-3 days and if everything's OK, I'll mark as solved.

Cool!
I'm glad you have it fixed.

In your case I think your best tool besides the others will be the date range transfer option when you setup the calendar sync. I set  mine 5 years each way. !

Please resolve the thread so others can find your answer faster.
Thanks,