Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Trusted Contributor
kairosgrammy
My Device: Not Specified

Outlook and Blackberry Calendar

[ Edited ]

I really want an calendar that will sync with my blackberry that I do not have to go online to use. I'm thinking of purchasing Outlook 07 for my laptop. My question is, I realize this is an email program also. I do not have to be online to manage and use the calendar part of the program, right? And outlook does sync with a blackberry (I have 8900)? Thanks for the help.

Edited to correct grammar and now I'm editing because I realize what I've said is confusing. So here is additonal explanation.

I knew I didn't explain that well enough. I know that I can sync with yahoo calendar and google calendar with my blackberry. I want to be able to share info between my device and my computer. I have no problems using google or yahoo calendars on my laptop. They are both excellent calendar programs. The problem is the internet is not really reliable at school and also they have gotten much stricter about which sites we can access and which ones we can't. I've heard that yahoo is now off limits so that means that calendar can't be used at school. That leaves google calendar which is fine just as long as the internet isn't down. There are times when I have my laptop available and not my blackberry so I do want my life on my computer also. If I can't get online on my computer, I'm up a creek. So in essence, do you have to be on the internet on your laptop in order to access the calendar functions in outlook?

Message Edited by kairosgrammy on 07-24-2009 08:56 PM
Message Edited by kairosgrammy on 07-24-2009 09:14 PM
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Outlook and Blackberry Calendar

kairosgrammy wrote:

I really want an calendar that will sync with my blackberry that I do not have to go online to use. I'm thinking of purchasing Outlook 07 for my laptop. My question is, I realize this is an email program also. I do not have to be online to manage and use the calendar part of the program, right? And outlook does sync with a blackberry (I have 8900)? Thanks for the help.

Edited to correct grammar and now I'm editing because I realize what I've said is confusing. So here is additonal explanation.

I knew I didn't explain that well enough. I know that I can sync with yahoo calendar and google calendar with my blackberry. I want to be able to share info between my device and my computer. I have no problems using google or yahoo calendars on my laptop. They are both excellent calendar programs. The problem is the internet is not really reliable at school and also they have gotten much stricter about which sites we can access and which ones we can't. I've heard that yahoo is now off limits so that means that calendar can't be used at school. That leaves google calendar which is fine just as long as the internet isn't down. There are times when I have my laptop available and not my blackberry so I do want my life on my computer also. If I can't get online on my computer, I'm up a creek. So in essence, do you have to be on the internet on your laptop in order to access the calendar functions in outlook?

Hi Kairo'sgrammy!

Outlook 2007 will sync with your Blackberry just fine. You will have equal calendars on both the PC and the BB.

Two big changes to think about.

1) When syncing with Yahoo or Google online calendars, you have immediate transfer of data. If you updated Google

online calendar, or your Blackberry it would synch automatically, and vice versa.

2) With Outlook the synchronization takes place when you run the desktop manager sync program.

Example. You enter a meeting on the Outlook PC calendar for a 9:00 apt. Later you use your Blackberry

to enter an appointment for an 11:00am meeting. Both appointments are not visible on either calendar

until you run the synchronize program. I usually run it a night after work. All appointments from the PC and

Blackberry calendar are synchronized on both devices, and reflected for the next day.

You synchronize the Outlook calendar and the BB calendar through the default email address on both.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Trusted Contributor
kairosgrammy

Bifocals wrote:

kairosgrammy wrote:

Hi Kairo'sgrammy!

Outlook 2007 will sync with your Blackberry just fine. You will have equal calendars on both the PC and the BB.

Two big changes to think about.

1) When syncing with Yahoo or Google online calendars, you have immediate transfer of data. If you updated Google

online calendar, or your Blackberry it would synch automatically, and vice versa.

2) With Outlook the synchronization takes place when you run the desktop manager sync program.

Example. You enter a meeting on the Outlook PC calendar for a 9:00 apt. Later you use your Blackberry

to enter an appointment for an 11:00am meeting. Both appointments are not visible on either calendar

until you run the synchronize program. I usually run it a night after work. All appointments from the PC and

Blackberry calendar are synchronized on both devices, and reflected for the next day.

You synchronize the Outlook calendar and the BB calendar through the default email address on both.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Thanks. Someone on a delphiforum mentioned that you can sync google with outlook so if you are wirelessly synced with google on your blackberry phone, that might work to update outlook. I've got outlook on order and amazon is sending it via pony express, LOL, so I'll be able to figure out more then. Whether it does or doesn't sync wireless is fine with me. Syncing physically and daily works for me. The sync does work well with google and blackberry as far as calendar stuff goes. It won't sync memo stuff or task stuff wirelessly. If I want google to know a task, I put it in the calendar seeing as I schedule most tasks anyway. If I don't, I get too wishy washy about them.

Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

I thought you didn't want Google, but here you go.

You run Google sync on the BB which syncs to the Google Calendar and vice versa.

Then you run the Google add-on to the Outlook calendar which syncs with all three!

Voila!

:smileyhappy:

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Trusted Contributor
kairosgrammy

[ Edited ]

Bifocals wrote:

Hi,

I thought you didn't want Google, but here you go.

You run Google sync on the BB which syncs to the Google Calendar and vice versa.

Then you run the Google add-on to the Outlook calendar which syncs with all three!

Voila!

:smileyhappy:

It's not so much that I don't want to use google, its just that sometimes, internet access at school is useless to nonexistent particularly in the building I'm in. I wanted another option besides the internet and apparently, outlook is it. Wish it would have synced with windows calendar. It actually is a pretty nice calendar and does sync with windows email. But, I actually love that I can sync outlook, google and my blackberry. That will be awesome.

Message Edited by kairosgrammy on 07-28-2009 05:35 PM
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

Do you have a copy of Outlook Express on your PC, a lot of them shipped with it.

You could use it instead of Outlook 2007.

Thanks,

Bifocals