Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
onezambia
My Device: PlayBook 2.0.1.358

PB backup file (bbb) not listed when trying to 'Select a backup file to restore'

I am running Desktop Manager 7.1.0.32.

I backed up my PB and an upgrade to 2.0.1.358 wiped out all the data and apps on my PB.

When I try to restore, the backup file is not listed for me to select to restore. Backup path is correct.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: PB backup file (bbb) not listed when trying to 'Select a backup file to restore'

What was the version of DM and the PB OS when you did the backup?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
onezambia

Re: PB backup file (bbb) not listed when trying to 'Select a backup file to restore'

I (believe I) was on DM 6.1.0.38 and 2.x of the OS when I started. I don't upgrade often so don't know for sure.

Looking at the folder timestamps I think you might have found the root of the problem. Do I need to re-install DM 6 and try and do the restore?

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Yes, that's where I was headed. Somewhere in v7 they changed the backup file type. I don't recalll exactly which version but that is likely the problem. If you have the version you used to make the backup install that, restore the backup, and then reinstall v7.1 and make another backup.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru I
John_Clark

Also keep in mind that a PB backup made in a newer OS will not restore to an older OS so if you backup in 2.1 you can't restore to a PB running 2.0. I don't think that affects you in this particular case but its just something to be aware of.
New Contributor
onezambia

What you say makes sense (about restoring to an older OS).

You just reminder me of something else though. The extension of my backup is bbb which I believe is the new DM 7.x file format. This means that I must have backed up from a previous DM 7.x version.

Surely one DM 7.x backup is compatibilty with another DM 7.x?

Guru I
John_Clark

Not necessarily. In v7x they changed the BlackBerry backups to bbb but the Playbook was always bbb. it used to be that bbb files from the Playbook were merely .zip files and it was possible to change the extension and then unzip the files and see what was in it. I think that has changed but the bbb extension didn't change.
New Contributor
onezambia

I was actually able to open up the bbb file w/ 7-zip, however, I don't know what to do with the contents. I couldn't open up any of the included TAR files.

I re-installed BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1.0.38 and now at least I get the list of backups. When I select my backup though it says 'The selected backup file might be corrupted.'.

I also have BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.2.45. I'll give that a whirl to see if it works although I am pessimistic as newer 6.x versions should be able to open up earlier 6.x backups.

Guru I
John_Clark

Since it recognized them I'm guessing you're on the right track. You didn't make any changes to the file when you opened with 7zip, did you?
New Contributor
onezambia

No, the date modified still shows Sept 7th which was when I started this whole mess.