Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
iramjm24
My Device: Blackberry 9550

Re: PROBLEM WITH DESKTOP SOFTWARE WINDOWS 7 64BIT

Hello SDGARDNE and other users of this site.

To give more information about what specifically needs to be done, we have the following:

You just have to create a folder with any name you like, and copy or place the executable file downloaded from the blackberry web page into that folder. Then you must extract the entire contents of that executable file (using any extraction software) in the same folder and then look for the file named "setup.ini", open it and edit the line that appears as:

CmdLine = / l * v% TEMP% \ BB_Desktop.log SETUPEXEFLAG = 1

and modify it with the following:

CmdLine = / l * v "% TEMP% \ BB_Desktop.log" SETUPEXEFLAG = 1.

After this, save the changes and look for the executable file in the same folder to start the install process, which must go successfully.

Sorry about any mistake while I was writing in English, because my native language is Spanish. I hope anyone to understand what I say here.

Iram Moreno (iramjm24)

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello again, and thank you for providing the details...excellent! But could you clarify one thing please?

In your original solution, you provided this:

• CmdLine=/l*v "%TEMP%\BB_Desktop.log" SETUPEXEFLAG=1

In this most recent solution, you provided this:

• CmdLine = / l * v "% TEMP% \ BB_Desktop.log" SETUPEXEFLAG = 1

There are different spaces between things now, including (most importantly I suspect) a space within the %TEMP% environment variable itself. Is this intentional?

Sorry to be so detailed, but I'd just like to be sure that other users who try to use this have the exactly correct instructions.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
ZakiZolkapli
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

Can you please explain in details? 

i dont know where to find CmdLine=/l*v "%TEMP%\BB_Desktop.log" SETUPEXEFLAG=1 and the place to edit it.

pleaseee

New Contributor
tranquility
My Device: Bold 9790

Hi.

Urgent help needed.

O/S: Windows 7

Blackberry desktop software has installed, but never ran.

The Blackberry logo splash appears, after which an error message from Windows stating 'the program has stopped working'.

I've never used the software because it never loads.

I've scoured this forum, the net and youtube for weeks and can not find a solution.

I want to extract contacts and notes.

Thanks in advance.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

tranquility wrote:

Hi.

Urgent help needed.

O/S: Windows 7

Blackberry desktop software has installed, but never ran.

The Blackberry logo splash appears, after which an error message from Windows stating 'the program has stopped working'.

I've never used the software because it never loads.

I've scoured this forum, the net and youtube for weeks and can not find a solution.

I want to extract contacts and notes.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
tranquility
My Device: Bold 9790

Hi.

It didn't work. Same thing. :smileysad:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm..."it didn't work"...hmmm. The process failed somewhere? The process worked but the same result? Did you try other versions of the Desktop Software? Did you try everything else listed in this and other similar threads?

It's a bit difficult to provide more guidance based on the simple "it didn't work" result, for it can be interpreted many different ways. If we interpret it wrongly, we could guide you to a useless path.

Let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
rovman
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700

So why doesn't RIM correct the install program?

I'm not about to fiddle with stuff I don't understand.

My CD for my Blackberry Bold does nothing when I click on install.

I got the program download and it does nothing when I click on Blackberry Device Manager.

No wonder people are shopping for other smartphones.

New Contributor
rovman
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700

I don't see that file.

The download file is:

BlackBerry Device Manager._ENG.msi

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

rovman wrote:

So why doesn't RIM correct the install program?

I'm not about to fiddle with stuff I don't understand.

Sorry, but I cannot tell what from this old/long thread you have and have not attempted, nor can I tell what is going on for you. As for your first question -- I suspect that they have, but I cannot tell what issues you are having.

rovman wrote:

My CD for my Blackberry Bold does nothing when I click on install.

You could have a damaged/defective CD. You could have a problem with your CD drive. You could have virus protection causing some issue. To test these theories (since, at an internet distance, all I can truly have are theories), you would need to try the obvious remedies...other CDs, other drives, deactivating virus protection, etc. etc. etc. Let us know how that works out.

rovman wrote:

I got the program download and it does nothing when I click on Blackberry Device Manager.

Well, if you only downloaded the program but didn't install it, then you would not even have BB Device Manager...so I'm a little bit confused about exactly what you have attempted. I am reluctant to make guesses, however, and so shall await clarity from you.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates