Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Regular Contributor
darylm
My Device: NONE

Phone Reboots when DM downloads Applications

I'm running DM 7.1.0.32 (Bundle 33) on Windows 7 Pro. Phone is running 7.1.0.746, was previously running 7.1.0.714, when I first noticed this problem.

Lately, occasionally when I connect the phone and select applications in DM, it hangs and if I press a button on the phone, the phone reboots. After the phone reboots, DM will talk to it and can read the applications without the phone rebooting.

Anyone had this happen or know of a fix?

Samsung Galaxy S5
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Phone Reboots when DM downloads Applications

Hi darylm,

I would suggest performing a backup of your BlackBerry® smartphone then reloading the software as shown in the article below:

KB11320 - How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop M...

or

KB19915 - How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBer...

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor
darylm

Thanks for the response. Since the problem occurred with two different versions of phone OS. I decided to completely deinstall all device software and DM from my computer, then reinstall it. So far the problem hasn't reoccurred. I will update this thread if it happens again. I will be wiping the phone and installing a new OS in December.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Regular Contributor
darylm

I spoke too soon. I tried it again this morning. DM started okay the first time so I shut it down and tried again later. This time, when I clicked on the applications tab it displayed "Loading applications from device ... Searching for available device software". It hung at this stage and when I pushed the cursor on the phone, the phone rebooted. As soon as the phone came back, it connected with DM and the applications were loaded. If I shutdown DM and restart it, the same thing will happen. This seems to be a bug in either DM or the device OS.

Here is a screen capture:

BBDM.PNG

Samsung Galaxy S5
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Have you tried using a different USB cable or USB port on your computer? This may by an issue with the USB and I'd like to test this before going forward.

Thanksw

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor
darylm

This problem is independent of the USB cable and the USB port. It's also independent of the device OS. It happened with the previous OS (.714), as well as this one (.746).

I'm going overseas for a couple of weeks (leaving this weekend) so I have a blackout on making any software changes. When I get back, I'll probably be wiping my phone and installing a new OS.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Regular Contributor
darylm

I just upgraded my phone to 7.1.0.794. Didn't wipe it, but just did a regular install. The problem still exists, even though I have also upgraded the DM software to the latest, which is 7.1.0.33 Bundle 35. When I try to display the applications on the phone, it hangs and as soon as I touch the phone, it reboots. I noticed app error 601.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Regular Contributor
darylm

I recently wiped the phone using bbhtool and reinstalled the os. The phone still occasionally crashes when I connect it to BBDM and view the applications. So now the problem is independent of the version of BBDM, the phone OS, and the OS on my computer. Someone at crackberry suggested wiping the sfi (i.e., nuking the phone), but I've never tried that and I'm not keen. Anyone have any suggestions?
Samsung Galaxy S5