Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
eliza333
My Device: Not Specified

Pocketmac endless syncing issues - Blackberry needs to get it together NOW

Blackberry, if you want to drive us all to using iPhones, you're doing a pretty good job.

Why did you spend so much money purchasing this badly written piece of PocketMac software?

PocketMac currently doesn't sync with Entourage in the new Office 2008.  Why not? Office 2008 has been out since February!  There hasn't been a PocketMac software update for some time - why not??

Right now, the syncing issues with PocketMac are just about tipping me over the edge.  The isue is iCal and PocketMac (on a Blackberry 8800). 

Calendar items I deleted in iCal and which I deleted on the Blackberry return.  Calendar items replicate themselves, and then replicate themselves at different times.  A single 10am appointment may appear three times on the Blackberry, for 10am, for 11am and then maybe for 3am the next day.

Yes, all the timezones and times between the Mac and the BB are the same - have checked that repeatedly.

I have tried the following:

- deleting all the calendar items on the Blackberry and then doing an  'overwrite device' sync in PocketMac.  This should overwrite my BB with the items in the calendar, which are all correct - right?  WRONG!  The items are duplicated, triplicated - items are added to the BB that are not even in the iCal!

- manually entering the items and making sure the timezones are correct, then syncing between the two - this also doesn't work!  Still items are duplicated, triplicated.......

I'm about to throw the device out the window and purchase an iPhone - and that's after being a loyal blackberry user for over 4 years.

I see others in this forum are having similar syncing issues - and no one seems to be able to come up with an answer. 

Hello Blackberry - anyone at home?  You're seriously pissing people off.

New Contributor
eliza333

Re: Pocketmac endless syncing issues - Blackberry needs to get it together NOW

I forgot to add - the other incompatibilities I've noted between PocketMac and Blackberry are as follows:

- meeting notification incompatibilities -
you might set a 0mins before meeting notification in iCal, or set it to 'No Notification' - this will show up in the Blackberry as a notification -35837565 mins before - quite bizarre.  It's been doing this since PocketMac came on the market. PocketMac needs to correctly interpret iCal's No Notification command on to the Blackberry.

- Meeting location timezones -
in iCal you can set a meeting timezone to 'floating' - this means the meeting will stay at the same time no matter what timezone you change your Mac to.   Essential for those of us who don't like our appointments to change around by themselves whenever we change timezones.   The Blackberry doesn't have this feature - it forces you to choose a timezone...... and then your meetings move around all over the place when you change your computer's corresponding timezone.  Again, PocketMac can't seem to bridge the two, and duplicates the appointments.

New Contributor
macspectrum

I agree. PocketMac has to be the worst piece of software and company I have ever experienced.  Sync-ing with my iCal and Address Book on my Mac is integral in order for me to keep using my BB.   I have filed several tech support requests with PocketMac and all I get are lame replies asking me to purchase other PocketMac sfw.  If this doesn't clear up soon, I will buy an iPhone and not be recommending BB's to my Mac clients.  I cannot believe a company as large as RIM cannot get a working solution to sync BBs to Macs.   It's downright embarrassing. 

New Contributor
scablackMAC

Man,

this IS depressing.  I am an AVID MAC user, and I was going to buy the iPhone....but I wanted Verizon service, so I chose the Blackberry Storm.  I figured, 100% internet should allow me to check my MobilMe account... NOT.  

THEN, I head of PocketMac... Perfect, I thought, I can sync my iCal and Address book, and then sync that to MobilMe... NOPE>  Blackberry created items will not show up on iCal, Addressbook, OR .mac/MobilMe as promised in the literature.. and i DO HAVE all the latest downloads etc.  Then, to make a punch in the gut a slap in the face, the iTunes library WILL NOT show up unless it chooses to... meaning SOME DRM music shows, others do not... SOME have cover art, others do not, and it is all a mish mash of burned music, purchased etc etc etc... dissapointing Blackberry... get your PC hat off, and start making stuff for MAC users!  I may just have to buy an iPhone now... especially after reading these posts.

Contributor
Robslaw69

I have been fighting with Pocketmac for 2 weeks now to get this issue fixed.  They suck.  RIM sucks, and Verizon sucks.

What has me ticked off the most is the lack of business ethics RIM and Verizon have when dealing/sealing their products.

Both of these shame organizations both assured me "that BB 8830 is 100% compatible with MAC"  and "yes we offer support for all operating systems".  

Then to read the interview where the pathetic president of RIM says that "a desktop mgr for MAC has been on our radar since 2004".    Well hello there, its five years later and.... still nothing.  

Oh wait, they created the piece of crap storm that is a blatant copy of the iPhone, but yet the reviews have all trashed it b/c it has major issues.  Read David Pogue's review in the NY Times.

Then... the best, they aren't going to support MAC, but they are going to flat out steal the Apple Application store and create an application store for BBs.  Awesome, if you can't beat them steal from them.  

I really like how everyone and their brother can upgrade their OS system on the BB, except for the MAC customers.

Pocketmac and their lame support is no better.    

New Contributor
eliza333

Hi again - I'm the original poster of this thread. 

Last November, I bought an iPhone. 

And I haven't looked back.  No syncing problems whatsoever.

Now that Blackberry isn't the only email-friendly device (all my emails go to my iPhone just as they did to my BlackBerry, thanks to a large data package that is cheaper than my BB service used to be),

and now that iPhones and other devices can even be set up to receive enterprise email,

Mac users have a multitude of choices :-)

New Contributor
scablackMAC

i am headed there....soon.....if you dont mind me asking...what is your monthly bill like?
New Contributor
eliza333

I'm in Australia so might not be comparable - also we have the iPhone 3G here which is apparently set up a bit differently to the US? -

but generally the phone plan plus the data plan is cheaper than my former BB's phone plan plus data plan.  

The BB used to come with one "unlimited" BB email plan at a set cost -

with the iPhone you can choose from various data plans - 200mg, 300mg, 1gig etc - depending on how many emails you estimate you'll get, and how much browsing, downloading etc you think you'll do.

It's not "Push" email like the BB, but I just set up the iPhone to check for mail every 15mins, just like my computer at home.

Contributor
Robslaw69

Thank you for starting this tread.  I started one the other day and got no hits. :-( LOL!!

You have given us the chance to vent about the crappy service that RIM and Pocketmac offer customers.

The only problem I had with the iphone is that it is only on the ATT network here in NJ, well in the US for that matter.

Although, the Mac blogs have indicated that the iphone may come to Verizon soon.  

I surprise that the moderators have aloud the RIM bashing to go on for this long. LOL!!

New Contributor
thetattoo

I don't want craptastic windows on my system in any way, shape, or form. I'm a Mac user that bought a piece of hardware (the Storm) that was sold to me under the auspices of compatibility with the hardware and OS I prefer. I love this phone, but RIM is trying to make me HATE IT! No IMAP folder support from the built-in email client, weak synchronization support (pocketmac=FAIL), intermittent and spontaneous system crashes, and a host of minor UI complaints (who QCs your software, RIM?). With each passing day, I get closer to giving up on the Storm. I want so desperately to believe that improvements are coming, but how long do even minor updates take, for pete's sake? Show me that you are trying to get it right and I'll hang on.