Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
ridr
My Device: Bold 9780

I got 7.0.0.43 to work on my Windows XP system

I got 7.0.0.43 to work on my Windows XP system:

1) selected device> forget device

2) reconnected bold 9900 to set up new partnership

3) chose to sync all organiser data from device to computer (deleting all organiser data on computer)

4) synced successfully

5) changed preferences to 2-way sync

6) synced successfully again

:Clap:

Please use plain text.
mrdjmail
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Preparing Sync Preview freeze

Same problem.  Same regreat.  Just off the phone with tech support - took forever to find a number to call.  Received confirmation BB/RIM is aware of and attempting to find a fix for the problem.  I wonder how many new DROID users this is going to dreate?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pugs
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

What I've done, what I've found, and what I've concluded with Desktop Manager v7

What I've done:

1. Performed a full backup of my Blackberry
  2. Wiped the calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes from my Blackberry 9650
  3. Selected "Forget Device"
  4. Configured a one-way sync to the device for calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes
  5. Performed a sync, which ran a total of about 5 minutes
  6. Configured calender, contacts, tasks, and notes for a two-way sync
  7. Performed a sync, which froze for over 20 minutes at "Getting status information from Outlook Calendar with the green bar about 80% complete
  8. Used Task Manager to kill Desktop Manager
  9. Re-started Desktop Manager
  10. Performed a sync, which hung on the "Preparing Sync Preview" step for about 10 minutes, but did complete
  11. When it told me that there was conflicting data for two items, I selected the option to not update the conflicting items

What I found:

1. On the device, some of my calendar entries were duplicated
  2. Within Outlook 2010, those same calendar entries appeared in triplicate!
  3. All day entries in Outlook 2010 spanned two days on the device (birthdays, holidays, etc...)
  4. Doing back-to-back synchronizations causes it hang while "Getting status information from Outlook Calendar"

My conclusions:

1. Having to wipe my data sucked
    • It makes me VERY nervous as I rely on the information in my Blackberry to manage my work and personal life
    • I shouldn't have to wipe my data in order to get Desktop Manager to not freeze on "Preparing Sync Preview"
  2. The duplicated/triplicated entries seemed to all be recurring appointments in which one or more occurrence had been modified
    • This is a VERY common thing for my calendar and I'm assuming that other Outlook users have recurring appointments for which they find it necessary to change one or more occurrences of
    • RIM missed a significant use case/business requirement by not accounting for this scenario as I can't be the only one to ever modify an occurrence of a recurring appointment
  3. The all-day entries in Outlook that span two days on my Blackberry are caused by a difference in what Outlook and the device consider to be all day
    • Outlook 2010 considers "all day" to be from 12:00 AM to 12:00 AM; this accounts for a full 24 hours and therefore is "all day"
    • The Blackberry device considers "all day" to be from 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM; which accounts for 23 hours and 59 minutes
    • Because the Blackberry device considers 12:00 AM to be part of the next day, the all day event shows up as spanning 2 days
    • RIM has missed a simple software requirement that IntelliSync apparently had covered as I never had an issue with this with previous versions
  4. Hanging at about 80% status bar on "Getting status information from Outlook Calendar" is another bug that RIM let slip through QA testing
    • I'm fairly certain that I am not the only user that has ever done a sync, and then done another sync without closing and re-opening the desktop manager
    • I was able to replicate this error everytime I tried to do back to back syncs
    • I was able to replicate this error everytime even if I disconnected the USB cable and then re-connected without having closed and re-opened Desktop Manager
    • I was able to replicate the error some of the time even if I used Task Manager to kill the Desktop Manager in between syncs
    • RIM, I just gave you a simple test scenario that you can use free of charge to help flesh out your QA testing
  5. The fact that there has been no official communication from Blackberry on this issue is a major customer service flub
    • People make mistakes; I make mistakes; when I or anyone else makes a mistake, the best thing to do is acknowledge it, communicate it, apologize for it; set expectations for how you will fix it, communicate on the status of the fix, communicate when the mistake is fixed
    • Lack of the communication lets negativity fester and compounds a bad customer experience into a horrible one
  6. I would have an Android device in my posession right now, if not for my wife vetoing the purchase
    • I am tech savvy and gave a solid go at making this thing work (documented in the steps above)
    • The fact that I was able to get Desktop Manager v7 to work but only uncovered more easily discoverable defects in the software points to an appalling lack of QA testing that I would never let fly on one of my projects (I'm an IT Project Manager and the bulk of my projects are software development)
    • I will be purchasing an Android phone as soon as I'm eligible for my $150 upgrade credit with Sprint
    • I am expecting to have to invest some time/effort into getting an Outlook to Android sync solution running properly while avoiding the "cloud"
    • That investment of time and effort is expected due to the immaturity of the device and the small company/single-developer nature of the solutions available
    • I do NOT expect to have to do RIM's QA testing for them and invest time/effort into getting their sync solution to work given the way that they market themselves as the epitome of efficiency and simplicity for business users

And there you have my take on this.  After the last couple of years being plagued with technical issues, lack of communication, lack of concern shown to customers, and software defects, I'm done with RIM/Blackberry. 

I may be back in the future, especially if the Android/Outlook sync options are untenable for me, but it's going to take a concerted, visible effort from RIM for that to happen. 

Please use plain text.
HPM
New Contributor
HPM
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Same hanging problem as many below.

Tried to go back to version 6 via System Restore and could not sync contacts, calendar etc.

Tried to go back to v7 and it will not install anymore. Removed every trace of BB software I could find and cleaned registries and still no luck. Won't install via run from web page or via download then run.  Getting "Error1316 A network error occurred while attempting to read from file c:\windows\installer\Blackberry Desktop Software.msi"

No matter what I try it won't install. So now I have no Desktop Software at all on my PC. Just great!!!  Anybody from RIM read this as there seems to be no solution coming from RIM.

Any suggestions

Please use plain text.
Visitor
kenlight
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: "Preparing Sync Preview" freeze

Here is the link to the old Blackberry Desktop software.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Mobile-Phone-Tools/BlackBerry-Desktop-Manager.shtml

I uninstalled the new version, rebooted, downloaded and installed this.  Then, just to be safe, I did a 1-Way sync from Outlook to the Blackberry.  Now I am 2-way syncing normally.  I hope this helps.  btw - I unchecked automatic updates.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndrewUser
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Verty nice post, but I DISAGREE that Blackberry considers all day differently than Outlook.  If you open a NEW Calendar entry on BB, you'll notice the dialog has a start and end time. When you click on the ALL DAY EVENT box, BB gets rid of the time entry, and the SAME DAY is shown as START and END.  There is no 1200 AM to 1200 AM type of time span.  It is the syncing software that is causing this problem by assigning a differwent end date on the inbound sync, I believe.  Intellisync knew what they were doing and DM 7 has a design problem. .

If I don't hear about a fix to this VERY SOON, I am going back to DM 6 and moving forward to Droid on my next upgrade. I only used BB because it was good on Outlook integration, and if I have to fight software now even on BB, I might as well fight it on the platform that is the clear favorite of the masses at this point.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pugs
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

My conclusion about all-day events is driven by what I saw in previous iterations of my tests, before the complete wipe and forget device steps.  In previous attempts, the conflicting data screen showed that the all day events were showing as ending at 12:00 AM in Outlook but not on the device. 

Either way, I think we both agree that RIM missed the boat on this particular piece of functionality...

And we both do agree that fighting with Outlook synchronization with a Blackberry is no different than fighting with Outlook synchronization in Android; and at least in Android, you're getting a platform that the industry seems to feel is superior. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndrewUser
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Agreed Pugs! Peace.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
wavedavey
My Device: 8100 and 9810
My Carrier: eMobile

for those prefering to download from BB itself rather than softpedia - here's the BB link. It will give you v6.0 and the autoupdater will take that to v6.1 - worked for me as mentioned earlier: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Smetanophone
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: SFR

Re: "Preparing Sync Preview" freeze

I have the same problem with my BB Torch and, like you, am regretting having upgraded. Why, oh why can't RIM get its act together? I'm left with a common or garden mobile phone that won't synch. OK, my BB can still make and receive phone calls. Big deal!

Please use plain text.