Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Visitor
willisas
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: "Preparing Sync Preview" freeze

after reading these posts and finding the proposed solutions less than ideal, I simply left my phone and computer this morning on my desk, apparently frozen as like the rest ... 3-4 hours later it finished.  It now syncs fine, and at a more normal pace.  Just the first time took forever.

Contributor
Smetanophone
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

That's interesting, 3-4 hours. I had left mine over lunch time, maybe 40 minutes and it was still busy doing its "preparing" so I killed it off. I'll leave it overnight now. Fingers crossed, hey-ho!

New Contributor
bphoon
My Device: Curve 9370

[ Edited ]

Last night it was stuck on the sync preview, like y'all said. I left it for over four hours and when I returned it was still stuck. I fought with it for about six hours today--uninstalling and reinstalling both v7.0 and v6.1, did several system restores, had to restore Outlook from a back up a couple of times, etc.--and now, I can't sync with v6.1, can't install v7.0, can't uninstall v6.1 and can't install v6.1 since it says I have a newer version installed (after uninstalling v7.0 several times). I tried several of the work-arounds suggested in this forum but none worked for me. **bleep** near crashed my computer a couple of times in the process...at this point, I'm just going to wait until RIM gets it's <Inappropriate Content Removed>
together on v7.0 then try again...hopefully I can install it then but no guarantees, I guess.

I upgraded from a Storm2 to an Android phone about six months ago but nobody told the challenges of trying to sync an Android directly to Outlook--**bleep** near impossible unless you want to sync Outlook to Google first, then sync the Android with Google. No thanks. I got a Curve 9370 a few days ago for the express purpose of being able to sync my business data directly with Outlook. I'm at square one again with the only difference being that I'm on th hook for a phone I didn't really need and an additional line I didn't need on my mobile account...I'm quite frustrated, to say the least...

Contributor
AndrewUser
My Device: Bold 9930

Getting over the freeze is one issue and if you wait long enough for the first time, it happens.  But the single day on Outlook to multiple days on BB when syncing is forever and effects everyone once they get to DM 7 come hell or high water.  I'd rather have BB fix that problem.  I wish I could be sure that they even know about that!

New Contributor
bphoon

Re: Preparing Sync Preview freeze

[ Edited ]

After uninstalling v7.0 and attempting to reinstall v6.0 (I still have the set-up file from an earlier download) I find I can't uninstall my existing (but non-working now) v6.1 because I get Error 1316, whatever that is. I can't install a newly downloaded v7.0 because I get the same Error 1316. I also can't install V6.0 because my machine says I have a newer version installed--after uninstalling v7.0. I'm caught in a Catch 22 and don't even know at this point if I can find a solution even after RIM gets it's <Inappropriate Content Removed>
together on v7.0 since I have no way of knowing if Error 1316 is something in the RIM software or something the RIM software did to my system. There's apparently no way of speaking to an actual person who might be able to help me with this error thing, so I wonder if I'm simply stuck...

Contributor
Smetanophone
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

What gets me in this is that the RIM download doesn't allow you to choose the location of the saved file. On my previous machine this was catastrophic since I had a C and a D partition. The C partition was creaking at the seams and burst with the download whilst I could easily have downloaded the file to the D partition. AFAIK this is the only download that I have which didn't allow the choice of destination. Professional? RIM? Your guess is as good as mine. I didn't expect that one had to be a geek to own a BB. It was my kids that told me I didn't want an IPhone and I should look at BB. What were they really telling me?

New Contributor
bphoon

Beware trying to sync Android directly with Outlook. I've been trying to find a way to do that for nearly six months now. Maybe I'm missing something but the only solution I've been able to find from Google is to sync Outlook with your Google account (you're forced to open one of those in order to activate your phone...) and then to sync your phone with your Google account. Given the stuff Google's doing with people's data (tracking locations, interconnecting custom ads to contacts, etc) I don't see that as a solution--I don't want my business associates or clients getting pop-up ads comeing from nowhere because I sync'd their data with Google. Otherwise, you're left with third party software. According to the research I did on line, the best of that pack is supposed to be a program called Companion Link, which installs on your computer, with an associated program called Deja Office, which installs on your phone. Supposed to provide seamless sync-ing of your organizer data (supposedly supports a variety of organizer software, including Outlook). Didn't pan out that way. In nearly two months of evaluation (you can get a renewable evaluation license) I never got a clean sync. Did OK with my contacts, although some duplicated while some didn't sync, my calendar didn't even resemble the one I keep in Outlook. Horrible, and that's supposed to be the best out there.

That's why I'm back on RIM's web site. I gave up a Storm2 to go with the Android. Without question, the Android is head and shoulders above BB in browsing the web or watching videos, but not so much in sync-ing organizer data. I got a Curve 9370 a couple of days ago specifically so I could sync directly with Outlook through the BB Desktop Software. Worked great until v7.0 blew me out of the water. Now I can't do anything at all with either v6.1 or v7.0 so, at least for the time being, I'm back at square one with the only difference being that I'm on the hook for a phone I didin't really need (except for the sync-ing thing) and another line I didn't really need on my mobile account...

HPM
New Contributor
HPM
My Device: Bold 9900

I now have version 7  loaded again. But when I connect my BB the system turns off the Organizer module and there is no way to start it. (Options are faded so can't click on them)

It syncs media but that's it (very useful for a business tool)

So now what is wrong with this software?????

New Contributor
bphoon

Good luck with finding a way to sync Android directly with Outlook while avoiding the cloud...please see my post of a few minutes ago on this topic. Suffice it to sayfor now that the grass is *not* always greener on the other side...

Contributor
Pugs
My Device: Bold 9650

Good luck with finding a way to sync Android directly with Outlook while avoiding the cloud...please see my post of a few minutes ago on this topic. Suffice it to sayfor now that the grass is *not* always greener on the other side...

Do you have any experience with MyPhoneExplorer?  My research so far is pointing me in that direction.