Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
AdrianChan
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: hk

Problem of my 9790 to upgrade os to 7.1 again

I am using Mac OS X Desktop Software to plug with my 9790

Just after I purchased the phone it was preloaded with OS7.0 but I can use Desktop Software to upgrade to OS 7.1 

One days when I was opening the Desktop Software and checked for any software update and in the update list window advised me to downgrade to 7.0 as "recommended" so I downgrade to 7.0

At that moment I didn't notice I lost hot-spot function after downgrading 7.0 which make me very much inconvenience. All official website claiming 9790 have hotspot function running OS7.1 which is a important point I consider purchasing this.

So I plug the phone with the Mac again and passed the "check for update" bottom was telling me that no newer version update, only allow me to reload OS7.0 again, Strange!! Tried clear the phone data and reinstall the Desktop Software doesn't help.

Any RIM technical support/ customer support or voluntary expert please help me? 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Problem of my 9790 to upgrade os to 7.1 again

Hi AdrianChan,

Are you able to check for software updates from a PC from http://blackberry.com/update? If you are still not prompted for an update there, I would suggest verifying with your mobile network provider what the latest version of BlackBerry Device Software currently available from their download site is for your model of BlackBerry smartphone.

I look forward to your response.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AdrianChan
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: hk

Thanks Frankie, but problem not yet solve!

I tried to use a PC to download the 7.1 OS file no matter from the distributor "Qool International, HK" of the phone I brough or the service provider "CSL, HK" I am using but still cannot work

For both files, after the PC desktop software connected with the phone, I clicked "update", still saying that no new software available

Then I clicked " show other version"  it do shows OS 7.1,  I choose 7.1 and click install , however still not allow me to go ahead with error msg saying" THE BLACKBERRY DEVICE SOFTWARE UPGRADE INCLUDES NEW FEATURES AND SIGNIFICANT ENHANCEMENTS TO THE BLACKBERRY SOLUTION AND AS SUCH IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO USERS WITH AN ACTIVE BLACKBERRY SUBSCRIPTION. TO LEARN MORE ABOUT BLACKBERRY SERVICE PLEASE VISIT WWW.BLACKBERRY.COM/SERVICE

OK, click WWW.BLACKBERRY.COM/SERVICE and another error msg show this web page doesnt not exist, and ask me to click to the link related to the model 9790 then go back to introduction page of 9790 of official website

I would like to stress again I am not intended to make my phone having problem :

I do remembered one day when Mac desktop software connected with phone, software update pop up window advised  V7.0 and V7.1 options and was telling me V7.0 is "( downgrade, recommended)"

At the very begining I bought the phone few month ago it was pre-installed with OS 7.0. When I get it back home I use Mac desktop software, plugged with phone, immiediately,  successfully and smoothly upgrade to 7.1. Now I cannot do a simple and same thing again!!

It is my first time to use BB phone, just for first few months, hope have good and trouble-free experience there

Thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Hey AdrianChan,

Thanks for the clarification. The message you are receiving when trying to update is to let you know that an active data plan is required to update from one codeline to another, ie from BlackBerry 7 to BlackBerry 7.1. This KB provides an explanation. "Unable to upgrade BlackBerry Device Software because the message "BlackBerry Device Software updates are only available to BlackBerry smartphone users with an active BlackBerry service subscription" appears when Desktop Manager is launched" KB19921

I hope that helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.