Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

friedchicken
My Device: Not Specified

Problem: software changes my Outlook contact info when synchronizing (cuts off part of first name)

[ Edited ]
When I sync, the BB software cuts off part of the first name of my Outlook contacts.  The problem seems to happen when I have a space in the first name (eg: First Name - Bill & Jane).  I have several of my contacts listed that way so I can see spouses of contacts easily.  I have never had this problem before with my other MS Op phone.  Thanks for your help.
Message Edited by friedchicken on 01-05-2009 01:23 AM
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Problem: software changes my Outlook contact info when synchronizing (cuts off part of first nam

it looks like this :
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03028&sliceId=2&docTy...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
maira71
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: Problem: software changes my Outlook contact info when synchronizing (cuts off part of first nam

Not really, sir.

I also have the same problem: if for example a contact's first name is "Jean Pierre", when I try to syncronize to BB only "Jean" will appear as the first name

We have no Remote Address Lookup nor Enterprise Server, I simply try to synchronize Outlook Contacts to my new Blackberry Bold 9000 through Desktop Manager version 4.6.

When the dialog with all the changes to be made pops up and I have to accept/reject/cancel the synchronisation, here comes the problem: by inspecting one contact I discovered the first name cut off after the first space.

The same for example for all the italian restaurants which I use to file as family name-> "Restaurant", first name -> "La veranda" (e.g.).

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards.

maira71

New Contributor
Giacopis
My Device: 9800, 9000

I have the same problem.

When I synchronize my contacts from BB to MS Outlook, the content of any First name field will be truncated after a blank character (e.g. "Mary Ann" will result in "Mary"). This also happens with commas (e.g. "John, plumber" will result in "John").

Synchronization from MS Outlook to BB will not truncate.

This happens both with my BB 9000 and my BB 9800, and both with MS Oultook 2003 and MS Outlook 2010.

This does not happen when synchronizing my HTC Touch Pro2 (Windows mobile 6.5) to MS O:smileymad::smileymad::smileysad:utlook.

I risk loosing much of my information.

New Contributor
Giacopis
My Device: 9800, 9000

I found out what happens.

Wherever the First Name filed on the BB contains a Blank (or Space) character, when synchronizing to MS Outlook, the content of the field is divided in two parts: the first part, before the Blank, is transferred to the Outlook First Name field, the second part, after the Blank, is transferred to the Outlook Middle Name  field.

This goes beyond the useser's intentions and is a nuisance, becuase you can of course turn around the problem after synchronization, by exporting the MS Outlook contacts to MS Access, or MS Excel, put the two fields together, and reimport them into MS Outlook. But you need to do that each time yoy synchronize.

It would be nice if RIM could fix the issue.