Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8830 WE

Proper DM Install!

[ Edited ]

After responding to numerous posts regarding issues with DM, it seems a common issue is the initial installation of DM.  It is imperative you REMOVE (TRASH) all syncing software (e.g., Missing Sync, PocketMac, media sync...) from your mac prior to DM installation.  I know this is unusual for Mac users to have to prepare for software installation as usually developers write some apple script to do this, but this is not the case with RIM.  

So how to you rid your mac of the previously installed sync software...Try using the uninstaller first, then use spotlight to search for all components. Search multiple items..(like RIM)...Remember to remove DM as well. After these have been trashed, empty the trash (search spotlight again...). I strongly recommend using ONYX to remove all of the system/user cache. I would also suggest a reset of sync services on your Mac. Restart the Mac, repair permissions (precaution). Reinstall DM. Now make sure iCal and Address Book is up to date (you might archive them also). Your iCal events will come in under one calendar (even if you have multiple calendars in iCal)...It should sync with the default CICAL in your device (usually associated with your default email address). Additionally, DM does not sync groups from your Address Book,. you will have to group on the device. Check device...Options>Advanced Options>Default Services for your default CMIME and CICAL....those are what are going to be synced. Also the field map is not identical, so be prepared for some entries to not be where you think they should be and some entries won't be copied at all.

Hope this helps...

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Proper DM Install!

My problem is that at the setup Welcome screen, when I connect the BB 8830 to the mac with a USB cable the program says "connecting" for a few seconds then stops and nothing else happens. No error message or anything else to do. This happens on my MacBook and my iMac despite uninstalling and reinstalling. Also when I plug the BB in it "launches DM but then stops after a few seconds.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

After having used all "procedures" as described in this forum still can's get it to work :-((((

Wiped handheld several times. Had a look at every tiny file on my computer that had something to do with Syncing. Deleted them all. Had DM installed and uninstalled several times restarted the computer over and over again etc etc etc.

And still this piece of **bleep** will not work! Very annoying indeed. The best joke is: I decided to buy the blackberry because of this software because it would be a much cheaper alternative to the iPhone :smileymad:

A bit disappointing....

macbook pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo

Snow leopard 10.6.2

BB Curve 8520

Trusted Contributor

"Wiped handheld several times. Had a look at every tiny file on my computer that had something to do with Syncing. Deleted them all. "

You can't remove all of them...you need to keep the Mac ones...you just need to delete the third party apps...

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I should have been concise.

Yes, that is what I did. Removed all third party software including documents etc etc. I used spotlight to find everyting I thought had to do with those programs. Then I uninstalled DM, wiped the handheld and rebooted my computer.

Installed DM again, used DM to play everyting back on my handheld: does not work :smileysad: There are contacts missing, there are contacts that look different on my handheld than on my address book: eg phone numbers that were deleted a long time ago and that are nowhere to be seen in address book suddenly show up on my handheld again. Phone numbers that should be on my handheld are not.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot see a logic in this anymore.

Best regards

Trusted Contributor

You say does not work is a lot different than it works, but does not send consistent information...the problem you may be having is the incompatible field map...that is the maps for RIM are not identical to the maps for MAC.  Did you reset sync services?  Sounds like you have some old cache for your address book that the sync software found...My question is did the sync "work"...or did you get a stall or errors?

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
New Contributor

First of all: thank you for taking time.

So, yes the syncing seems to go flawless. No error or stall. But the result is not correct.

Sync services? Don't think so, to be honest: not sure if I know what they are??

Best regards

Trusted Contributor

Well it sounds like sync works...as I stated before, RIM has not published the field map, so it is difficult to diagnose why some contacts/information does not sync.

Resetting sync services is an option on your mac:  system preferences>mobileme>sync>advanced>reset sync data

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the post, Statman.

Do these recommendations still hold for a new (1 week) Storm 2 owner who has never synced a BB on the Mac before?  It would appear as if these recommedations might be directed at those who have used other software to sync their BB's on a Mac.

All I have used DTM for is to back up the Storm2 (which is my first BB).  Palm Desktop 4.6.2 is on my laptop but I'm moving all of those data to my desktop and will not sync the Palm to the Laptop any more.  I did enable Palm synching in iSync (3.0.2) to move the Palm files to Addressbook and iCal (and my TX shows up on the iSync "window").  I have had Onyx for several years and have downloaded the insructions to restt the SyncServices folder, if necessary (TS1627 - thanks for that reference, too).

Everything is backed up and ready to go, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

What I'm asking is whether it's worth giving a sync a go as things are, or to start from groung zero as suggested in your post?

Or, just dump everything into Office 2008 in Parallels and use the Windows-based dektop manager?

Thanks in advance.

BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 / Verizon OS v5.0.0.1015
DTM 2.0
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core2Duo (2008) OS 10.5.8
Trusted Contributor

I would first make sure everything is "backed" up, then I would give it a go.

4.6.1.305 hybrid
Mac Pro 2X2.8 Quad SL