Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
HalGal97
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
Accepted Solution

RIM Handheld Communications Manager has stopped working

Hello,

Today I found my trackpad on my BB9900 had stopped working for any scrolling. I could still use it as a button to select something but not to move around. So after restarting verifying that I had installed no new software or applications in the past month or so and even pulling the battery ... I know I know it still wasn't working.

I then connected it to my laptop to try a software reload. When I did that it wanted to update BB Desktop Manager. So of course I did that. (BTW the BB was connecting at this point) After the update when trying to connect the BB all I get is this error "RIM Handheld Communications Manager has stopped working". I have rebooted the laptop and the BB just to be sure but nothing. Now I have a BB that won't scroll and BBDTM that won't connect. :smileysad: Any advice?

As an aside I have also tried changing trackpad sensitivity and turning on audible scrolling but it did not make a difference nor did I hear any scrolling sounds. :smileysad:

Thanks in advance!

BB9900

device s/w 7.1 bundle 2108

DTM v7.1.041 bundle 42

TheOutlier
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: RIM Handheld Communications Manager has stopped working

I am also getting the message "RIM Handheld Communications Manager has stopped working" now after the latest Blackberry Desktop Software update. I am running Windows 7 64bit. I was forced to upgrade due to a firmware update that is now available for the 9900. Any help would be much appreciated!

New Contributor
HalGal97
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

I was also running Windows 7 64 bit. I just tried downloading DTM on our Windows Vista machine and I was able to get the software to load that way and my trackpad issues seem to be fixed although it seems laggy to me. Maybe I'm impatient after waiting this long with out my BB. I'd still like to get it working on the 64 bit machine though to sync with the data I want.

New Contributor
hackmatack
My Device: BB 9900 with 7.1 OS bundle 2807

[ Edited ]

I too am getting the message RIM Handheld Communications Manager has stopped working. I am also running Windows 7 64-bit and have a BB 9900.

On Thurs. Oct. 31 I got a message saying "Update your BlackBerry Desktop software" so I did update to 7.1 version b042. 

Ever since the update, when I connect the phone and run BB Desktop Software (either order) I get the crash message. Called Telus and spent 45 minutes re-downloading it, uninstalling then reinstalling. No change, after which Telus said "not our problem - go talk to BlackBerry" (gee, thanks!). Went into phone Options, Device and it said Update Available  for your phone to version 2807. I downloaded it to the phone and installed. No change.  Seems clear that BlackBerry has posted a rotten apple version. Searched their website looking to download the previous version which unfortunately I had not saved (**bleep**!). No luck - I guess not only did they not test it thoroughly but also they have not stopped to think through what should happen when their update fails... hmm... are the job cuts starting to affect their quality control and support? And, of course, no way to call them for support... Samsung is looking better and better... 

Oh yes, also went into Windows Device Manager and checked that driver was most recent - yes - and no error messages showing. The BB shows up in the device list when plugged in and disappears when unplugged, jsut as it should.

So now I can no longer update my agenda, contacts etc. which makes my agenda useless now, and no new contacts will appear... and that's the reason I use a smartphone, to have all that stuff at my fingertips every day. HUMPH!

New Contributor
JohnnyCanuck
My Device: Bold 9900 and PlayBook 64GB

Getting a similar error after I downloaded a "required Desktop Manager Component". Here's what the Event Viewer log states:

Faulting application name: RIMDeviceManager.exe, version: 8.0.0.25, time stamp: 0x526ab872
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1116
Exception code: 0xc06d007e
Fault offset: 0x0000c41f
Faulting process id: 0xc14
Faulting application start time: 0x01ceda3eee8357f6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\RIMDeviceManager\RIMDeviceManager.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 2ce08065-4632-11e3-aa99-005056c00008

Visitor
said126
My Device: orange 8820 wifi

bberry8820wifi led rouge ne sallume pas
New Contributor
najunajeeb
My Device: 9900

remove the current  desktopmaneger

delet    c  program files/commonfiles/reserch motion/

and re install   latest desktop manager  is     100% solved    enjoy  ping

New Contributor
hackmatack
My Device: BB 9900 with 7.1 OS bundle 2807

Yes, this solution worked for me with Windows 7 64-bit:

1. Uninstall all BlackBerry software using Windows Control Panel

2. Restart Windows

3. Delete folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\ (including subfolders)

4. Reinstall BlackBerry Desktop Manager 7.1 (latest).

Thanks to the fellow who figured it out and posted this answer. 

Visitor
mdjibin
My Device: bold 9900

I tried un-installing, re-installing and it did not work on my windows 7 64-bit laptop.

I faced the same problem on my XP 32-bit laptop also.

Then I tried windows restore.

Chose the point just before the device update restore point.

It worked :Punk:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i shall try the other reply of deleting rim folder on windows 7 64-bit and see it works or not!

mdjibz
OLAYINKA76
My Device: BOLD9900

kindly help me to solve the problem