Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

mistersparky
My Device: ....

Recovering pictures from a .bbb backup

Hello everyone!

I have a bit of a strange issue I could use some advice.

I have a user at work who had a damaged BlackBerry. I performed the standard full .bbb backup using the BlackBerry desktop software. I restored the backup file to the new BlackBerry however it didn’t appear to restore all the pictures. I have browsed the backup using 7zip, which allows me to see folder structure and file names - I am able to see what appear to be missing pictures in a subfolder of the home\user\pictures directory, however the files themselves are still encrypted and in turn cannot be opened in a readable format.

I have tried installing some third party applications to extract these pictures with limited success. I have also tried restoring the backup file to other devices but am still unable to access these pictures.

Any advice on how I can get access to these?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Recovering pictures from a .bbb backup

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Since you used the word, I will guess it to be authoritative...refer:

• KB25484 Expectations when encryption is enabled for a media card in a BlackBerry smartphone

Personally, I never depend on the Desktop Software to truly conduct a full backup/restore for me...I only trust it for the AppMemory stored databases, not for things in Device/Media Card storage. For those, I just use Windows Explorer/USB Mass Storage Mode copy (as per the instructions contained in the link in my auto-sig on this post).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code