Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8320 Titanium

Roxio Media Manager - Video Transcode Resolution Setting Issue. Want roughly 320x240.

[ Edited ]

So I have been looking for a solution to this issue on various forums, and it seems no one has discussed it yet.

I can get videos onto & playback from my Curve 8320 just fine. The issue is the postage stamp sized video centered in the middle of the screen, instead of filling (most of) the screen on "fullscreen".

I take any video file (not importan AFAIK), and hit "copy" (to 8320) in Roxio Media Manager (can't figure out ver# but it's the newest as of 10/2008) and it always puts out 240x180 files onto my SDHC card regardless of "Quality" setting.

While I see a number of flaws in this shoddy program it would be nice to be *able* to use it's AIO layout.

I want the output to be TRULY *optimized* for 320x240 (yes I know black bars will be around depending on aspect) instead of scrunched in the middle of the screen. It is freekin reediculous that this, as of yet, seems impossible for *the* software for doing this process and will likely have to "shop" the varoius 3rd party solutions to find what I need.

(Is this a crummy marketing ploy by Roxio to get us to buy a piece of software from them that *will* output 320x240?)

Thanks for any pointers & insight on this in advance.

Message Edited by JaggedXJ on 11-03-2008 09:55 PM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Roxio Media Manager - Video Transcode Resolution Setting Issue. Want roughly 320x240.

convert your video first :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=General_Functions&thread.id=2898&jump...

then copy it to your Blackberry Media Card using Windows Explorer :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Re: Roxio Media Manager - Video Transcode Resolution Setting Issue. Want roughly 320x240.

I appreciate your input and respect your seniority in these forums. I was about to persue 3rd party options before I posted and will venture down that path with some yet to be determined combination of VirtualDub, AkmeFFmpeg, and Ultra Mobile 3GP Video Converter.  

I just wanted to confirm that the consensus has been that Media Manager doesn't, and cannot be made to, function as it should.  It's sad that the "official" way to put "properly" formatted videos onto the phone doesn't work as advertised, or offer useful settings.

I guess I will be un-installing the Media Manager version of DM since all it was good for was accessing internal memory (don't need anymore bc of 8g SDHC card)and "easily transferring videos"

- Thank you for your help

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Xandrex:  Roxio Media Manager is shipped with the BB and should work. Suggesting a 3rd party app is not a good solution, it doesn't answer the question of this thread (see below)

JaggedXJ:  I have been using the Roxio Media Manager that came with BBDesktop 4.5 for months now and it has been successfully converting all types of formats automatically to 320x240. No need for 3rd party software.  BUT after I upgrade to BBDesktop 4.6 and the latest version of Roxio, it only converted to 240x180.  I uninstalled and went back to BBDesktop 4.5 and original version of Roxio but no luck. 

Since the original version of Roxio that used to convert to 320x240 is now only doing 240x180 I'm assuming it's in "Safe mode".  Because my curve has the new OS on it, it doesn't recognize it anymore and uses the lower BB resolution that works on onlder BB but not the higher 320x240.

So the question is How to force Roxio to output 320x240.  And please don't suggest using 3rd party apps cuz although that is a workaround, it doesn't answer the question of this thread.

New Contributor

Thank you for clarifying/emphasizing my og question.

I have only recently acquired an 8g mSDHC and started playing with video on the BB.  (had no card before)

So, I have only used 4.6 (.12 & .14, I think) for DM since.  I would switch back to 4.5, but you said it didn't fix the issue.

(Anyone know where a cfg file is to hack 320x240 back into this?)

Thanks...