Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
stevemannear
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Stopping the automatic startup of Blackberry Desktop Manager each time I boot up my laptop

Yes, I am a new, novice Blackberry user.  I am running XP Professional on my laptop, have Blackberry Desktop Manager  Version 4.6.0.12 May 2008.  I can not figure out how to stop it from starting up every time I boot my laptop.  I don't use it that often, it is rather slow opening up, and it just slows me down.  How can I set it so it only opens when I tell it to open??
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Stopping the automatic startup of Blackberry Desktop Manager each time I boot up my laptop

when the desktop manager opens, there is a small resident daemon that loads up too : it's called the "device manager". you can find it in the system tray, next to the Windows clock.

right click on it, it will summon the daemon. In the window, somewhere on the bottom, you can uncheck the option "load at startup".

if that does not work, you can open the "add/delete applications" on the config panel of Windows. There, you can modify the Desktop Manager installation do not load at startup.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Bbash

Re: Stopping the automatic startup of Blackberry Desktop Manager each time I boot up my laptop

Thanks so much!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ivboy

Hi

I have the similar problem... i format my pc and the xp starts for a bout 25 - 30 seconds ... after installing Desktop Manager it needs 2 :30 minutes ... it seems like some process is waiting to be up and then some of the Desktop Manager process like RoxWatch9.exe, RoxLiveShare9.exe, RoxioUpnpService9.exe are killed automatically, and the xp is reаdy to use ... it is not problem for me to wait but why wait for 3 minutes when you can wait 1min :smileyhappy:...
so any suggestion ??? ....

using xp sp2 ... , Desktop manager 5.0.1 BES ...blackberry curve 8900

Excuse me for my poor english ! :smileyhappy:

Thanks in advanced!

Sorry for a litel bit of spam tehnik but i realy cant find the right post ...

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

hello,

reason : the Desktop Manager is launched when you start your Windows session, including its (very slow) module called Roxio Media Manager.

Action to perform : do not launch the Desktop Manager & Media Manager

How to do it :

when it's launched, you have a small icon in the system tray next to the clock, if you right click on it you can open a small window with several litttle tabs. On one of those tabs, there is a box you can uncheck so that Desktop Manager does not launch when you open a session.

bottom line : Desktop Manager will take 2:30 min to launch when you need it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ivboy

How to do it :

when it's launched, you have a small icon in the system tray next to the clock, if you right click on it you can open a small window with several litttle tabs. On one of those tabs, there is a box you can uncheck so that Desktop Manager does not launch when you open a session.

I open the small window like you say  ( BlacBerry Device Manager Properties) and the box is uncheck ... and yes, when i was installing the Desktop Manager i never check the box for automatically start when windows start ... i try whit Services to manual start Roxio and other process that are start at the start up but nothing ... do i make them disable and what is the effect if i do that or ? ....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stevemannear

Xandrex, please accept my belated thanks for responding to my original question back in July.  Your advice worked perfectly, and now I only activate my desktop manager as I need it - which has made my laptop bottups much quicker.  I have lerned SO MUCH about this great tool (my Blackberry) since then, and don't know how I kept up with my life without it!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

ivboy wrote:

How to do it :

i try whit Services to manual start Roxio and other process that are start at the start up but nothing ... do i make them disable and what is the effect if i do that or ? ....

Well, my advise concerns people who install Desktop Manager without the Roxio Media Manager. For this module, I don't know anything because I have never installed it. Do you really need it ?

and @stevemannear : glad I could help, I am very pleased to have a feedback from someone, because some people here spend a lot of their leisure time helping other people, and rarely get a "thank you" or even a "kudo".

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ivboy

Sory for long time with no reply

Not that i need it , but brand new telephone , cd :smileyhappy: new software .... i just want to go whit all options available ... but i guess i have to remove ... i think that i don't needed so much and i can go without roxio ...

tnx again for reply and patience ...

Please use plain text.