Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

scb
scb
My Device: Not Specified

Tethered Modem

Can someone please tell me how to use my 8830 as a wireless modem on my Mac?

Thank you,

Stu 

Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: MAC Tethered Modem

Check the below links -

How do I use my Blackberry Pearl as a bluetooth modem with a Mac?

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
johnsaxon
My Device: Curve 8900

Successful in tethering a Curve 8900 to MacBook Pro using Bluetooth (on T-Mobile data plan)

I followed instructions posted by numerous people.

Phase 1 is to find modem scripts for Blackberry/Mac - I found a link that provided scripts at this web page <http://www.backdrifter.com/2008/05/01/configure-blackberry-pearl-as-a-modem-on-mac-os-x/> I am using the script for the 8800 even though my BB is the 8900; seems to work. Place the folder "Blackberry.ccl" into the Mac's hard drive/library/modem scripts. This will make "Research In Motion" (Blackberry) show up as a choice in the bluetooth configuration window, and will make the blackberry 8800 show up as a modem script choice. 

Phase 2: in order to pair the BB and the MacBook Pro on Bluetooth, you basically set up the BB so that it is discoverable on bluetooth. Then you use the Mac's bluetooth setup assistant to find the BB and pair up with it.

Phase 3: go to the Network pane in the Mac's system preferences and create a new "Location" called Blackberry Tether or something like that. Add a Bluetooth port in the column to the left and call it something, make sure it is selected and then do the following settings for it. Just to the right make a new Configuration called "tethered BB" or whatever, for telephone number put "wap.voicestream.com" (this is for T-mobile, they currently win the prize for offering unlimited internet access on the BB for $29.95/mo.), for account name put "guest" and for password put "guest".  (for other service providers you will have to dig up the correct configuration info for these 3 fields, it's out there somewhere)

OK, now hit the "advanced" button, under the "modem" tab select "Research in Motion" and the "Blackberry 8800" script. I also selected "ignore dial tone" Under the PPP tab I deselected all of those pesky "disconnect for this and that" boxes. Then I tried to connect once, computer locked up, I restarted and tried again and Bingo! it actually worked.

Someday when I'm feeling lucky I'm going to try to create a connection using the USB connector instead of Bluetooth. I'm not sure how to do that since there is no USB option under network ports on the Mac. (that I know of)

I'm getting a fairly zippy connection but it may be because my Blackberry is picking up my home DSL network. I will try to use it elsewhere on just the Edge network and let you know how that goes. 

Good luck, John 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bobdigital

Re: Successful in tethering a Curve 8900 to MacBook Pro using Bluetooth (on T-Mobile data plan)

I finally did it!!! I have a T-mobile bb 8900 and I followed these instructions but was still having alot of problems until I downloaded the scripts using firefox. Use the 8800 script, it works on the 8900.

Also make sure that u r using these setting in the bluetooth setup assistant:

Telephone # : wap.voicestream.com

username: guest

password: guest

Please use plain text.
Captive793

Re: Successful in tethering a Curve 8900 to MacBook Pro using Bluetooth (on T-Mobile data plan)

I went through all of these steps, followed everything to the letter, but I'm unable to connect to the internet via bluetooth. I connected on my previous phone (Nokia N95) so I know I can do it. 

The modem status message goes to the "connecting" message, goes to "authenticating" then straight to "disconnecting" and an error message is shown saying " Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

Has anyone got any ideas why this could be coming up? I'm using a 8900, Macbook, and am on Tmobile with unlimited internet, the same as I used on my previous phone. 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bobdigital

Turn off all other bluetooth, fool! for example turn bluetooth off on ps3, headsets, other computers...... Just remember that bluetooth is wireless connection, and if there are any other devices that would interfere with the connection, your macbook will have trouble pairing itself. be sure that ur using guest for both username and password. and make sure that you used firefox to download the script. if this still doesnt work than you dont deserve to have have it...., there are more than 12 people i can think of at my job that used this same method and theirs work, so it must be a error on your part.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
DuncF
My Device: Storm 2

Re: Tethered Modem

Check out Tetherberry.

http://www.tetherberry.com/

Please use plain text.
DorianBenkoil

Thank you, Thank you. It worked, thanks to your good help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shumai1
My Device: blackberry curve 8900

i tried to find the web address that you mentioned but it no longer exists.  any help ?

i was able to tether the mac and the blackberry , but it keeps disconnecting.  i am not sure i am using the right apn , password, etc.  

any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shumai1
My Device: blackberry curve 8900

can you tell me how you tethered to two and got them to connect?  thanks.

Please use plain text.