Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
Strider
My Device: Torch 9800

Tethering on a Laptop - "Failed to start Mobile Internet"

Hi, I've got a Laptop that will not tether.

Firstly, I've tried 3 different Blackberries all from the same service provider. All 3 of these devices are able to tether on other laptops/desktops.

I try to tether on this one laptop (Dell Vostro, not that it matters, I have other Vostro's and other Dells that work fine...) and it immediatly gives the error:

Failed to start Mobile Internet

There was a connection error.

I know I can tether with the Blackberry, I know the proper ISP settings... Any ideas? It fails immediatly.

Neil "Strider" Looby
Webmaster / IT Support
Colonnade Management
BES Express 5 / Exchange 2010 / 45 Users
Red Torch 9800 (v2391) / 64GB Playbook
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook

Re: Tethering on a Laptop - "Failed to start Mobile Internet"

Hello Strider,

I like you to check out in device manager if you have under ports two ones named: RIM Virtual Serial Port v2(COMXX) where XX in my case is COM10 and COM11 but would be different in your case.

If you don't have these 2 virtual ports then somebody installed the DTM not under the 'Administrator' account. DTM will install also under a user account  and works OK except not for tethering which needs a standard modem driver via the 2 virtual ports.

I suggest to do a clean uninstall (see link) 

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206

under the current user account and then re-install DTM 610_b034_multilanguage.exe  under an admin account and give the user a link to the DTM (it is probably still on his/her desktop).

If  this suggestion helped, please, click the blue 'like button' and select the 'resolved' option. Thank you, matt.

Contributor
Strider
My Device: Torch 9800

Thanks for the advice, however I resolved it yesterday.

Oddly enough, I ran some windows updates and something in there fixed it up. Your suggestions sounded sound though. I had already done a complete reinstall of the DM to no avail. DM was installed using an administrator account every time.

Thanks!

Neil "Strider" Looby
Webmaster / IT Support
Colonnade Management
BES Express 5 / Exchange 2010 / 45 Users
Red Torch 9800 (v2391) / 64GB Playbook
Contributor
Matt1969
My Device: Z10 STL100-2

I have ports o4 & 05 0n here and it used to work fine but now just says ''mobile internet failed to start''. I've uninstalled bb desktop and reinstalled but it's still the same??

Please can someone help?