Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially

I have also turned my antivirus and firewalls off without success. Notice that you can click on the link in the lower right of the DM page to "Check for updates". This connects successfully to an internet site to see if there is a newer version of DM. I can't understand how this connection can work properly and the Sync tool can't tell that there is an internet connection. Where is RIM to help with this problem?
New Contributor

It's the age old software story. . .pay us and we see if we can fix OUR problem otherwise live with it. Strange though. . .RIM is not a startup company and Blackberrys are not uncommon.
jij
Contributor

Anyone been able to figure this out yet? I have more users everyday asking why/when they can utilize this.

I wonder if RIM will even help us, considering the amout of money our company invests in blackberries nationwide....

Frustrating ... very frustrating

Contributor

I have given up on this. I am very disappointed that RIM has not resolved this problem. I have spent countless hours searching the web for solutions to this and two other BB problems. There are many posts from other sufferers but no resolution to any of the three. I can't imagine that RIM does not know about these issues due to the number of requests for help. This lack of support for the BB community will ultimately open the door for competition. What are they thinking?
New Contributor

I too have been researching for about a month trying to resolve this. I just got the Storm and have to use the latest version of DM/Redirector to access it, so no option to downgrade to a BETTER earlier version.. does anyone know of any aftermarket software that allows sych to outlook?
New Contributor

I am having the same problem and am frustrated too.  I just bought a new computer (Macbook Pro Aluminum running WindowsXPpro using bootcamp) and am linking my new 8330 curve running v4.5.0.77.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times.  I've switched to older versions.  V 4.3 and above give me the same message when trying to synchonize: "The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchonization settings.  Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."  I've disabled all firewalls and antivirus programs.  Nothing seems to work.  The older versions don't load the device driver for the BB - so they don't work. I've tried every combination and download and nothing is working.

Synchonizing my BB with Outlook was a key selling point for me, and now I can't use that feature.  Do you have any solutions/recommendations before I take the phone back?

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

I had the same problem with DM v4.7 when I was trying to get it to work with my new Storm.  During installation of v4.7 (which I did about eight times after clean un-installing it over and over, each time to try some new suggested "fix" for this problem), I was getting a series of four 1904 error messages relating to .dll files failing to register (GW.dll, GWApi.dll, DesktopSetup_pb.dll and SyncAE_pb.dll).  Once I solved the 1904 error problem (by manually registering those four .dll files), the "computer must be conneted to the Internet in order to initially . . ." message disappeared.  Unfortunately, a new error then arose every time I tried to configure synchronization initially -- an error that I have not yet been able to fix.  (I get one of those "BlackBerry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close . . . . Send report to Microsoft" boxes and then DM closes so I haven't yet been able to configure synchronization on my Storm.)

I'm about at the end of my rope trying to get this Storm to synchronize.  If it won't, it is absolutely and utterly useless to me.  And, like you kyushu2002, I've tried installing an older version of DM (v4.2.2) but the device drivers wouldn't load so all I got was a "Device not found" message when I opened DM v4.2.2.  I'll give this Storm about one more day's worth of troubleshooting -- I've already spent hours and hours and hours on it -- and then it's going back to the store.  This is just insane.

New Contributor

No, what's insane is a profitable tech firm who is completely oblivious to the situation of its users/customers or one that simply doesn't care about the quality and reliability of its products. It had become clear that they never look at the message Forum to get a true sense of what's going on in the user community. I've returned my Blackberry to Verizon. . .I have many more important things to do with my time than troubleshoot their software problems.
New Contributor

I finally gave up and took back the storm.. now using a WM device and it's great !!!
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

Duh.  What's a "WM device"?  My Storm's heading back to Verizon in the morning.  I'll be shopping for a new handheld.  No clue what to get since I've always carried BlackBerry but this whole experience has soured me on BBs forever.