Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

cvl
New Contributor
cvl
My Device: Blackberry 9700

Re: The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially

i have a blackberry 9700.

i originally downloaded the blackberry desktop manager with media v5.0

i had the same issues where an error message prompts that i am not connected to the internet.

so i did the following

1. uninstall your blackberry desktop manager

2. turn off your firewalls

3. redownload the blackberry desktop manager software (this time i did without media)

4. install

5. turn on your firewall, with blackberry desktop as an exception

it seems to work so far.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DevinC
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

I can confirm that DLilga's solution worked for me even though my state key was "1" initially.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\<PIN#>         

And the key value "state" should be changed from"6" to "0"

BlackBerry Pearl 8100 using DM 4.7 on Win7 64 (w/ compatibility set to XP Pro SP3)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rsbrux
My Device: 9800 Torch

[ Edited ]

I have perused literally dozens of discussions about this problem in ths and other forums and tried many suggested measures without success.  I am posting here because:

a) This appears to be the thread with the most recent activity.

b) It is the only one I could find reporting success under Windows 7 x64

I have installed BB Desktop 6.0 on 2 systems, one running XP x64, the other running Win 7 x64.

The installation under XP synchronizes just fine with my 8900 Curve.

The Win 7 installation insists the "your computer must be connected...", even though I have a perfectly good internet connection (which I am using to post this message).

I have:

1. Configured my firewall to permit the required traffic (incoming TCP/IP on 208.65.75.22:443)

To be precise, I am permitting all traffic to and from this address, but only incoming traffic is being logged.

2. Verified that the traffic is in fact being allowed.

3. Added my default gateway as a Blackberry router address in Blackberry Device Manager

3. Set MSIE to use compatibility mode for all websites.

4. Emptied the MSIE SSL cache.

5. Rebooted (warm & cold) repeatedly between the above steps taken, to see if that helps.

What I have been unable to do is the registry edit suggeste in the last post.  In my registry, there are no subkeys under "Synchronize" containing a value named "State".  Since I don't find a way to attach a file here, here is the export of the registry branch:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\Blackberry\Synchronize]
"Type"=dword:00000003
"Address"=dword:20ee4cda

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\Blackberry\Synchronize\IntelliSync]
"NyRpNpZFef0rNNFgJSBGz1xPeI8="=hex:01,00,00,00,d0,8c,9d,df,01,15,d1,11,8c,7a,\
  00,c0,4f,c2,97,eb,01,00,00,00,cd,e7,6b,cb,71,b8,b4,41,98,47,db,c7,40,f7,ce,\
  d0,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,03,66,00,00,c0,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,5f,cd,\
  13,b8,57,38,1f,3f,e8,27,e7,b6,d6,e9,b9,d4,00,00,00,00,04,80,00,00,a0,00,00,\
  00,10,00,00,00,61,88,26,da,a0,4d,47,92,66,26,f2,2b,dc,fc,1d,57,28,00,00,00,\
  86,01,d8,61,8f,16,f1,8a,be,59,6d,b9,cf,7d,cb,f7,d3,25,c2,d6,c1,66,1c,c2,c5,\
  54,78,cb,d5,d3,46,81,7b,4c,68,85,bb,7e,82,b3,14,00,00,00,39,5d,16,62,4b,f1,\
  bd,04,40,8f,23,55,4e,be,29,e7,78,9d,f8,da

TIA for any further tips!

P.S.

Meanwhile have also tried the following:

6) Disable WiFi on BB 8900

7) Disable certificate checks in MSIE 8

Still no joy!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rsbrux
My Device: 9800 Torch

P.P.S. Also installed Desktop Manager 5.0.1 excluding auto-update feature, but also get the same error message when I try to "Configure synchronizartion settings for my desktop program".

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mcmsweet
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I am having this problem today! I have a Bold 9000 and just updated my desktop manager last night to the latest version available (6.0.1.18.) I was pulling my hair out all night. I added rules on my firewall, added rules and turned off my software firewall, turned off antivirus and used wireshark to moniter the ports. Long story short the blackberry won the fight.

I gave up on this method of syncing and decided to go with a coworkers suggestion:

m.google.com/sync

Browse there on your mobile phone and proceed at your own risk. This solved all of my problems... over the wire sync. You need a google email account to perform the sync.

Just posting this because it resolved my problem. Very frustrating not being able to sync.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rubmop
My Device: Bold 9650

[ Edited ]

I have also had this problem and have spent hours trying to solve it and many, many other users have spent time as well.. I worked in customer service in another industry and fortunately for my customers, I had neither the desire nor the luxury to just solve the easy or most popular issues. I solved them ALL no matter how much effort and time it required. I am not sure what the relationship is between Blackberry and the "gurus" here, but there seems to be a disconnect when complicated technical problems arise. There are no calls for event logs, version specific registry settings, or anything deeper than turn off firewalls and install an older version. It appears this is a popularity contest and the way to get the most "Likes" is to go after as much of the low hanging fruit as possible. On my previous posts, there were many views but not a single response. At least the Crackberry folks gave a response albeit not helpful. I am sure I will be ignored, blocked, and blacklisted but it won't matter in the future. I have enjoyed my Blackberry for years as I had an identical computer in another location that synced flawlessly. I no longer have that system and as of next week will no longer have a Blackberry.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

rubmop wrote:

I am not sure what the relationship is between Blackberry and the "gurus" here

There is no relationship. This site is merely sponsored by RIM. The participants are all volunteers, who give as much of their own valuable time as they can in attempts to help out as many others as best they can. It is a user-to-user support community, not a user-to/from-RIM conduit nor anything whatsoever to do with anyone's formal BB support.

Sometimes, someone knows the answer...other times, they do not. It's become a culture here to try and stay out of threads where one has nothing to add so as to keep it from becoming so cluttered as to be unreadable. The success of this site is in no way dependent on the "guru's" who choose to participate...rather, the success is dependent on everyone helping everyone else. Which would include you...I encourage you to participate and provide answers wherever you can.

BTW -- the ranks are mostly a simple reflection of post counts. Those of us who participate more frequently get higher ranks as a result. The rank means very little concerning the actual knowledge that any individual may or may not have.

rubmop wrote:

There are no calls for event logs, version specific registry settings, or anything deeper than turn off firewalls and install an older version.

I am sorry, but as a blanket statement, that is completely untrue. While you may have to dig deeply into the search function of the forums, you will definitely find at least one case where those items are requested.

My personal philosophy however is not necessarily to simply answer any question...rather, it is to help each poster realize that there are many free channels of information if one simply searches. That's why I provide links to the public knowledge bases rather than copy/paste the KB answer...hopefully, the next time that person has a new problem, they will recognize where they actually received their last answer and do a search before posting...much quicker for them to get their answer than to wait while we volunteers try to find enough time to help out here.

rubmop wrote:

It appears this is a popularity contest and the way to get the most "Likes" is to go after as much of the low hanging fruit as possible.

The "Likes" are merely that...something available by everyone to "give" to anyone else. In my tag line, I encourage people to click the "like" button on any post that they may find helpful. I honestly do not keep track of how many "likes" I have versus how many anyone else has. There used to be an overall leader board, but in the most recent site redesign I've forgotten how to find it...and I no longer miss seeing it.

rubmop wrote:

On my previous posts, there were many views but not a single response. 

Unfortunately, that's not a useful metric. Due to the way the Lithium platform works, if someone does a search and one of your posts comes up in that search, your view count will increment even if the person doing the search never actually opens your post.

rubmop wrote:

I am sure I will be ignored, blocked, and blacklisted but it won't matter in the future.

Well, this reply I suppose proves the fallacy of your first item. As for the other two, that would only happen if you were to violate the Terms and Conditions that exist for these forums. So far, I've seen nothing you've said that would warrant that. We don't ask that people be blocked just because they have a differing opinion.

Hope that helps. Good luck and keep posting!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

rubmop wrote:

I am not sure what the relationship is between Blackberry and the "gurus" here, but there seems to be a disconnect when complicated technical problems arise.

well, the relationship is that the "gurus" here own one of several BlackBerry devices. Remember this forum is a community forum. It is not a support forum. The contributors here spend part of their leisure time to help other BlackBerry owners. I spend time here, instead of going to the movies, dancing or playing videogames.

And that is right. I do an arbitrage when things get too complicated. I can either spend what I forecast as a lot of time, and maybe I'll solve the issue of the thankful poster, or I simply close the discussion and read another one. Since I don't work for RIM, and since apart from some ego, I don't get anything from struggling to help someone I don't know, I often do that.

rubmop wrote:

It appears this is a popularity contest and the way to get the most "Likes" is to go after as much of the low hanging fruit as possible.

Yes, this is true. It is a question of what are the rewards for the contributors that spend time here. They don't get money, they don't get aduled, so giving likes is quite superficial but it's an easy way to please the people here.

(but personally I think a metric better than the number of Likes is the number of messages accepted as solution).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Philo2
My Device: 7290

Re: The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\<PIN#>

[ Edited ]

If you lived by me I'd buy you a drink....Worked perfectly....Many,Many thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rubmop
My Device: Bold 9650

Thanks sdgardne and xandrex for your swift and reasonably professional response. I figured throwing some gas on the fire would flush out some humans. What you both have described is a forum consisting of and lead by individuals with altruistic intentions and a broad knowledge and for that I am thankful.

Now about the original problem. In my line of work I kept a rolodex (remember those?) of experts in different fields where I would occasionally need assistance in solving a problem beyond my scope. As I alluded to earlier I did not have the option you guys have here in being detached from any responsibility and everything had to have an answer. You mentioned “formal BB support” Would you not have a number of someone to talk to at BB that can shed some light on a problem that has gone on for YEARS? You mentioned that my post “view count” could be from people searching the keywords.

I guess my question is, What would YOU do if you were in our position?

Thanks again for you time.

Please use plain text.