Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
maxx
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Third Rate Software

While I am delighted with my new Curve, I have to express my amazement at the shoddy execution of the media transfer software provided by RIM.

First, the Roxio sofware is as buggy as they come. The upgrade to v. 4.5 (which the software doesn't even alert you to- you're required to "check in" from time to time, which even freeware doesn't require you to do) solved some of the issues- like Runtime errors every six seconds for example, or the freeze up from selecting folders to monitor. 

The Roxio interface is so 1992- however, it likes to scroll down to the bottom of each media list by itself.  Frustrating. Rio Taxi was more advanced than this afterthought. It is also slower than molasses on a cold day. You'll think you're running a Cyrix 100 MHz chip. 

But wait. there's more! We now have Blackberry Media Sync. It has a selection to add "recently added files." Unfortunatel, the soltware doesn't tell you what is "recent" so it adds the same files over and over again. 

Both systems have no way to block adding files that are already on your phone. So frequent clean ups of dupicated are the order of the day

Give me a break. This is really bush league stuff that never should have been released. 

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Third Rate Software

[ Edited ]

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

I believe you can share your technical concerns directly to Blackberry personnel in this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=1...

If you need any information please feel free to keep this thread open, if not please resolve it by using the options over the Kudo's star.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-16-2008 10:25 PM
Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-16-2008 10:26 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
maxx
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Third Rate Software-Solved!

Problem Solved!

Just for the heck of it, I had Microsoft Windows Media 10 running, and I plugged in my Curve. This time, WM recognized the SD card in the phone. I tried dragging my music and podcasts files into the Sync column, and son of a gun, it worked! Transfer speeds are awfully fast too, with this SanDisk 8GB mini card I got from Amazon for $28.00 (can you imagine? Eight Gig for that price!) 

In any case, although it is fashionable to dump on Microsoft, the WM interface works smoothly and efficiently, not only with transfers, but with updating, gathering and organizing content from folders all over your computer, whether from dedicated Podcast sofware like Juice, but also with ITunes, which I am using more frequently these days, and collected downloads from EMusic, Amazon and Napster.The choices given by RIM just had me wanting to kick the cat. I'm glad this works. 

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Third Rate Software-Solved!

Great! would you be kind enough to resolve the post using the options be the Yello Kudo's star?

Thanks!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter