Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 bridged to Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Verizon

Unable to Synchronize using Desktop Manager 4.5 behind proxy

I just upgraded to DM 4.5 and every time I try to synchronize I get an error message:

"The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings.  Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."

I am at work and am connected through a proxy.  I found no place to configure proxy settings in DM 4.5 and it appears to not be using the IE settings.

How do I fix this problem??

Contributor

Re: Unable to Synchronize using Desktop Manager 4.5 behind proxy

Some more information on the problem.  I think that this may be due to the problem that the proxy here requires authentication.  There are several update programs that no longer work on proxy servers that require authentication in Windows XP.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem.  i just purchased the BB curve 8310 and instaled the DM on a winxp machine.  I cannot do the initial sync because It does not detect my internet connection.  I'm on a wireless network at home.  I also tried a direct connection from my router, but no luck with that either.  I hope someone can help with this problem.

Message Edited by Andrew2571 on 07-29-2008 10:44 PM
Contributor

Intellisync Fails Initial Synchronization due to blocked internet connection

I have done some more research.  It appears that this problem may not have to do with the Proxy, but with Firewall settings.  The problem appears to be an Intellisync problem and was introduced between DM4.3.0.15 and DM4.3.0.17 as I do not have the problem in DM4.3.0.15, but I do in DM4.3.0.17.

If we know what internet address/port is required for the initial synchronization to complete then we could (possibly) get that port opened in our firewall.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sean

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Intellisync Fails Initial Synchronization due to blocked internet connection

sarhaynes wrote:
If we know what internet address/port is required for the initial synchronization to complete then we could (possibly) get that port opened in our firewall.

can you look at your firewall logs?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Re: Intellisync Fails Initial Synchronization due to blocked internet connection

Unfortunately I do not have direct access to the firewall logs here at work.  I would have to request that info through the IT department (which could take a while).
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

sarhaynes wrote:

Found out the info on the blackberryforums.com . There is a PDF document on the blackberrry.com website that is available for Blackberry developpers (I am not). The document should be here :

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenter/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/7979/1181821/278286/745137/Placing...

the title is "Placing the Blackberry Router in the DMZ", it's an administrator document.

the guy on that forum quotes the document :

From the RIM document, Placing BES in DMZ, "When implementing least
cost routing while the BlackBerry Router is in the DMZ, the computer
that is running the BlackBerry Handheld Manager must be able to make a
TCP connection to port 4101 of the server that is running the
BlackBerry Router that is used by that BlackBerry device."

the original post is here :

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/41392-bes-desktop-manager-firewall-ports.html#post2...

HTH.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Xandrex wrote:

Found out the info on the blackberryforums.com . There is a PDF document on the blackberrry.com website that is available for Blackberry developpers (I am not). The document should be here :

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenter/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/7979/1181821/278286/745137/Placing...

the title is "Placing the Blackberry Router in the DMZ", it's an administrator document.

the guy on that forum quotes the document :

From the RIM document, Placing BES in DMZ, "When implementing least
cost routing while the BlackBerry Router is in the DMZ, the computer
that is running the BlackBerry Handheld Manager must be able to make a
TCP connection to port 4101 of the server that is running the
BlackBerry Router that is used by that BlackBerry device."

the original post is here :

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/41392-bes-desktop-manager-firewall-ports.html#post2...

HTH.

Unfortunately this appears to be describing a connection to BES.  I am running BIS and am just trying to synchronize my Outlook on my computer through MAPI.  The system won't let me configure or perform a synchronization because Intellisync doesn't appear to be able to connect to the internet.  I'm guessing (and only guessing) that Intellisync is trying to connect to a license server of some sort somewhere and that request is being blocked.

I think this may have to do with a licensing scheme change the Nokia has implemented since they purchased Intellisync.  Again this is only a guess, but it seems logic from my searching of Nokia's site as they appear to want a license for everything (even support or knowledge base searches).

I will try to see if I can get the port opened if it is closed.

Thanks for your help.

New Contributor

I am facing the same problem here.

Why is it even needed to have internet connection !? All i would like to do is synchronize my contacts in outlook.

We really need the RIM people to interfere as it is quite upsetting that no solution is available yet.

Please anyone?!....

Contributor

There is another forum on this site entitled 'Quirks in DM" which deals directly with the issue of the "cannot connect to the internet" problem. There is 10 pages of people complaining of the problem and yet no adequate solution from RIM. It is really quite unbelievable and very frustrating.