Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
jeroenzelle
My Device: Not Specified

Unable to import ASCII file with desktop manager

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I've got a 8100 Pearl. But my addressbook was put over from my sim card, but now alot of the names of people have been "chopped" of. So Jeroen Ze instead of Jeroen Zelle.

Now what I did was to export the adress book to a ASCII text file, and after that I've imported it into excel. Edited the file so that the names and phonenumbers are correct and then saved as a CSV (comma delimited file).

Now when i select the ASCII import function in the Desktop manager software (and align the fields) and then sync it, it gives the following error message:

Has anyone got a solution for this problem? I've searched google.com , but no-one has got a good solution for it.

EDIT: I have edited the picture size settings to get it onto the screen
Message Edited by Andy on 04-02-2008 01:46 PM
Regular Contributor
Ben

Re: Unable to import ASCII file with desktop manager

Your problem here is that you edited the CSV file in Excel.  The translator dosn't play well with Excel unfortunatly.

To be blunt, working with ASCII files isn't a very good or reliable option for syncing data.   Are you restricted to this function for a particular reason?   As your working with address book contacts, even just using the (free) MS Outlook Express would be a better (and easier) option of fixing your data. 

New Contributor
jeroenzelle

Hi,

No I'm not restricted. But I had about 200 contacts which I had to edit.

So Excel is the most easiest way to do. In Outlook Express you have to edit it by opening each person piece by piece. 

Regular Contributor
Ben

Best explanation is that Excel tends to add formating "stuff" the the CSV file.   This confuses the translator, and you get the errors your encountering.
Regular Contributor

As long as you accept the warnings when saving as a .csv file, I've never had any problems with it.  Those warings are that saving as a .csv file will strip all the formatting out.  This is a good thing.
New Contributor
jeroenzelle

Phranc wrote:
As long as you accept the warnings when saving as a .csv file, I've never had any problems with it.  Those warings are that saving as a .csv file will strip all the formatting out.  This is a good thing.
I've done that, multiple times. But still no result...
Regular Contributor

Open the file with Notepad and make sure the format is still in comma Delimited Form.