Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
mcconnellsus
My Device: Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

Unable to initialize databases during Blackberry Desktop Software Synchronization

The Software says "unable to initialize databases" and will not synchronize my BB.  This has been going on for a week.  I have reinstalled the Desktop Software, reset to factory settings, restored a backup file, done a hard reboot by removing battery, tried to synchronize one item (calendar, contacts, tasks, memos) at a time, updated BBM all to no avail.....HELP.  :Helpsmilie:

Regular Contributor
orangekeeper
My Device: z10

Re: Unable to initialize databases during Blackberry Desktop Software Synchronization

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

My responses are a little generic I'm afraid as I can't find your error documented anywhere!

What model of device are you using and what version of desktop software do you have since the re-install?

Does it work on another PC (Trying to rule out the install of DTM. Even after a re-install of software, there may still be a corruption)?

When you performed the factory reset, did you perform this from the device or use Desktop Software/Loader.exe (Loader.exe may remove more information than a device reset, more so if the device has ever been on a BES)?

Have you tried to re-install/upgrade the Blackberry device software?

New Contributor
mcconnellsus

Re: Unable to initialize databases during Blackberry Desktop Software Synchronization

Thanks for the prompt response.  It took me 2 days to figure out how to even get to this site for help.

1. Torch 9800

2. BB Desktop SW 7.10.41

3. I updated device using Desktop Software and also using Options>Device>Software Updates from device, not sure how to do reset on device other than battery pulled out....

4. have not tried another computer

5. is BES an Enterprise System?  It has not been connected to my work email/outlook if that is the question.

Any help is appreciated. 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The question about BES (yes, that's enterprise/corporate) is relevant since, with the error message you reported, all KBs that cite that error relate to BES...I can find no KBs that relate strictly to the Desktop Software and a truly personal BB. Perhaps you will have better luck searching:

From your posts, I am assuming this used to work fine? But has recently been failing? As such, I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over (perhaps more detailed than you already conducted), and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
mcconnellsus

Looking at the sync log, it said this....

14:49:29.765 CRSyncUtil::BackupCacheDBs : Error copying file "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\XCPCSync.OEM\SyncSDK.209.601\Data\4_65538_PR.tdc" to "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\XCPCSync.OEM\SyncSDK.209.601\Data\4_65538_PR.tdc.sav": 0x00000070 (There is not enough space on the disk. )

I looked at this file and it was around the time I started having trouble.  It was huge....i moved it out of the directory and tried to re-synch.  It worked!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Excellent find! Well done!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
mimiroma90
My Device: BB curve 9380

Hi there, I have the same problem like you.
Can you teach step by step how to solve the problem without using the desktop and straight direct to my handphone.
New Contributor
mcconnellsus

I did this from the Desktop software:

click Tools>Desktop Options>Configure sync logging options>View Organizer sync log.

In my case it listed the name of the file and location that was causing the problem.  It was an old backup file.  It was huge...

I moved it out of the directory, just in case I still needed it but so it was not picked up during the synchronization.  I then repeated synchronization from the Desktop software and have had no trouble since.  I did start by only synchronization one piece at a time....contacts, calendar, tasks....I don't know if that made a difference or not.

I hope this is helpful and works for you too!  I'm not sure how to do this without the desktop software.

New Contributor
mimiroma90
My Device: BB curve 9380

Thanks for help. I'll try and still can't I will use using desktop software.
Anyway, thanks.