Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Contributor
icekanem
My Device: Not Specified

Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi,

Please does anybody know how to handle this error: Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

when it is up, i can't see my call out log and my BB refuse to ring out.

icekanem

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Cause of the issue

The device software or software application component has failed, or there is corrupt data from a wired or wireless synchronization.

Workaround

Clear the Address Book database on the device.

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Click Backup and Restore, and selectAdvanced.
  3. From the Handheld Databases list, selectAddress Book.
  4. Click Clear. Go back to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager window.
  5. Synchronize the Address Book with the correct translator in Intellisync®. For more information on selecting the correct translator in Intellisync, please see KB-00074.

ref:Doc ID : KB04469

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
Quickdraw

HELP

I went through this proicess (about an hour) and stil have the same issue when hit the end call button.

Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException 

Any more suggestions?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Try a proper reboot:

With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation.

If that fails, then the next recommended recovery is reloading the OS from scratch on the device...

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11320&slic...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Quickdraw

Hey, that did it. Except I didn't pull the battery. I did a CTRL ALT DEL and rebooted that way.

Thanks,

QD

acm1
My Device: Torch 9860

I did all this but then could not synchronize my contact list with the correct translator in Intellisync and I could not Configure PIM - so I lost all my contacts !

When I click on synchronize and address book - it asks which application I want to use - but my contacts are not in any other programme (ie: Outlook or anything else)

I did a back up before I started but I do not know if I can restore my data as I don't know if it contains the corrupt data which is causing the problem so I my only choice is to re-enter all my contacts ....

Any help would be much appreciated.

brittRIOT

okay, i get this same error, but its only when I try to change my twitterberry info. I've tried reinstalling it and everything but it still does it. Anyone know how to fix it?

New Contributor
comb

Not sure if this will help anyone but one of your users rec'd the same msg and was missing the Mail icon.  Pulling the battery did nothing so moved to deleting the user from our Blackberry Enterprise Server ("BES" v 4.1.1.15) and re-adding.  The BES recognized the device but would not "activate."  Contacted AT&T found out the user had "BB Data Personal" plan instead of BB Enterprise plan.  Changed user back to Enterprise plan, spoke with BB Data team, advised to  manually send registration request, and the pull battery (again).  Device (Bold) started up, missing icons were back, and the device was activated on the BES.  Issue resolved.  Hope this helps someone.  Thanks.

gotracy124

HELP PLS. having this issue. was surprised when i woke up. you said to reboot using ctrl alt del .. which button is the ctrl? i cannot find it on my bb bold?

beckysbibino
My Device: curve 8900

HELP!! I appear to have this problem except for my phone is just blocked on this message and I can not do anything on my blackberry. The messages are coming through as I hear them but I can not get passed this screen. I have tried taking my battery out and that doesnt work. PLease help!

thank you