Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Updated BB DM - and now will not connect (receive RIM HH Comm Mgr has stopped working)

Hello all,

This is what I get for updating my software (I should never do that) - - - but I did, and now when I start my BB DM I get the following error "RIM Handheld Communications Manager has stopped working".

I even tried re-loading an oldddd version of BB DM, and I still get the message.

I've rebooted, uninstalled, re-installed - etc etc - and of course RIM offers no customer support on their website for the Desktop Manager.

Anyone with any ideas - I would greatly appreciate it - - thank you.

John, MCPO, USN

Windows 7 - 64bit

BB DM 7.1 Build 42

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Updated BB DM - and now will not connect (receive RIM HH Comm Mgr has stopped working)

Hi there,

This has happened to me too. Likewise, I have uninstalled and re-installed to no success.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Re: Updated BB DM - and now will not connect (receive RIM HH Comm Mgr has stopped working)

I posted this in another thread after spending several hours on the phone with Blackberry Support.  It seems that the latest upgrade for the Desktop Manager is messing it up for a lot of people:

Finally got it working again! Re-downloaded the desktop software (but when you start it up, make sure to uncheck the automatic update option). While that was downloading, I was instructed to go to microsoft.com and search for and download .NET Framework 3.5. Once you click to download that, there will be an offer to download 2 other items. One of which will be Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Web Installer). Click to download that too. Once they are finished downloading, run both files. .Net Framework 4 Client Profile will take longer and will ask you if you want to repair or remove. Choose repair. The repair took several minutes, but once it was done, I clicked "Finish", opened the BB Desktop Software, UNCHECKED THE AUTO UPDATE OPTION, and plugged in my phone. Once windows finished installing the drivers, Low and behold! The Desktop software recognized that the phone was connected! I hope this helps you resolve your issue as well. When it again offered me an update I clicked to update later (meaning never!). Best of luck to you.

New Contributor

<<<<and plugged in my phone. Once windows finished installing the drivers, Low and behold! The Desktop software recognized that the phone was connected!>>>>

I was so excited to try this solution tonight - and soooo disappointed when it didn't work.   Ugh.    I think I am doomed until RIM does some sort of update.

John

Contributor

I'm so sorry!  Did you make sure to UNcheck the update?

Contributor

Also, I don't know if this option is available to you, I contacted my cell phone provider, went through their technical support and they transferred me to Blackberry Support.

New Contributor

Yep - I unchecked that block. But, good news, I found al 2011 version of BB DM and installed that and it is working perfectly......so, I will just never update again....lol
Contributor

Glad you got it resolved.  :smileyhappy: