Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
Roostr72
My Device: Bold 9700

Updating your BB through Desktop Manager - a horror story

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Today I decided to click on the 'update device software' button in the Blackberry Desktop Manager only to find my phone almost completely wiped after the 'update' process.

Why isn't this option called 'wipe and reïnstall' instead of 'update'?

All the apps I had downloaded/purchased over the last several months had been wiped.

All text messages - gone

Bookmarks - gone

Themes - gone

App World + all 3rd party apps - gone

My native language support - gone

All contacts which weren't on my SIM card - gone

ALL customizations and EVERY conversation history - gone

Instead I got an email from my provider welcoming me as a new customer, even though I've been a customer for years.

Needless to say I'm pretty pissed off.

At the moment I'm trying to get back into app world (which I had to reïnstall through the web site, because installing by using the desktop manager didn't make the icon reappear) and I hope I don't have to pay again for all the apps I purchased which are now down the drain.

WHY DOESN'T THIS "UPDATE" PROCES WARN ME IN CAPITALS WITH BLINKING RED THAT I AM ABOUT TO COMPLETELY WIPE MY PHONE???!!!

(or at least offer to make a backup before proceding)

*sigh*

your disgruntled customer,

Ralph

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Updating your BB through Desktop Manager - a horror story

Ralph, usually the upgrade process goes smoothly, but in some cases, things can go awry and leave you with a blank slate.  I hope the following can help:

To start, you should always manually backup your device before doing any update (just in case), but that said, there should still be a way to get your data back.

Open the Desktop Manager and click on the Backup/Restore Option.  Then select the Restore option.  You will need to navigate to find the backup file that was automatically created prior to the upgrade.  It should automatically be created in your main Documents folder (e.g. My Documents or just plain old Documents, depending on if you are running Windows XP, Vista or 7).  Look for a file ending in .ipd.  It will likely start with something like "autobackup(date-time).ipd" or something along those lines.  If you have more than one backup listed there, pick the one with the date and time of the backup.

Desktop Manager will then restore the data within that file to your phone.  This will include all of your contacts, calendar, messages, theme settings, and so on and so forth.  It won't include your third party applications, so you'll still need to redownload those, but at least you won't be as stuck as you currently are.

Feel free to ask if you need any further assistance.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
Roostr72

[ Edited ]

Hi Krypto,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Unfortunately there's no .ipd file to be found other than the one I made myself several months ago.

It appears no automatic backup file was generated.

Perhaps you could pass this on to your development team as this issue is very frustrating.

I'll be making backups before every update from now on, but I can imagine many other people won't.

Ralph

Elite I
Krypto

[ Edited ]

I actually don't work for RIM (this is primarily a peer to peer support site managed by RIM), so there isn't much I can do internally.

What version of the Desktop Manager are you working with?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
Roostr72

Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1.37

Blackberry Device Manager 5.0.1.20

BBDevMgr 4.1.0.14

RIM USB Driver 4.1.0.4

RIM USB Serial Driver 2.2.0.3

Application Loader 5.0.1.69

RIMProgram 1.0.0.35

Elite I
Krypto

Ok thanks,

I'll see if I can find any other info for you based on the specific version number.  Only catch is that I won't be able to do anything until Friday, but I'll post something if I can find anything that might help.