Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Three

Re: WINDOWS INSTALLER PROBLEM WITH DESKTOP MANAGER

This thread is rather old - but it comes up first in Google when searching for "Blackberry Dekstop Manager Windows Installer" - so I thought it might be a good place to post. I have spent a few good hours yesterday  trying to install BDM on a Windows 8 machine - which kept on getting that help message from Windows installer. Some of the posts in this thread have been quite helpful - specially the ones suggesting changing the location of the temp folder. That got me thinking - and I realised Windows Installer was complaining because of some malformed arguments. Sure enough - for some reason Blackberry developers seem to have forgotten to place quotes around the arguments for the Windows Installer. I'm not sure why this problem is still around after all this time - maybe it was fixed and now there has been a regression to the old problem in the newest versoin? I was trying to install BDM v.7.1.0 b42.

The short of it is: because double quotes are not used in the right place, this problem will surface if your Windows user name/account has spaces in it. I don't know if it is also a problem on Windows XP/Vista/7 as well - but I suspect it might.

Here are the steps to get BDM installed, if you are experiencing the problem above:

1. Download latest version of BDM from Blackberry.

2. Rename the downloaded file (710_b042_multilanguage.exe in my case) and change the file extension from .exe to .zip (so you would end up with 710_b042_multilanguage.zip).

3. Double-click to open up the zip file (or use your favourite compression utility) and extract all files contained into a separate folder.

4. Among these files, you should have a setup.ini file - double click to open it in the text editor.

5. The 7th line down in the file (including empty lines) should read:

CmdLine=/l*v %TEMP%\BB_Desktop.log SETUPEXEFLAG=1

That command line should contain 3 arguments - as there are only 2 spaces there. However, when having a Windows username which includes spaces, it all turns into a 4 arguments command line (when %temp% gets replaced with the full path to the user specific temp folder) - which confuses Windows Installer. We need quotes around the second argument to prevent that:

CmdLine=/l*v "%TEMP%\BB_Desktop.log" SETUPEXEFLAG=1

6. Amend the line as per above, save the file and run the "setup.exe" file in the same folder . And that should be it.

Hope the above helps some poor soul avoid wasting so much time.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: U.S. Cellular

How do i get a zip file?  The only ones I can find are exe.  I tried changing the name but it still remained an exe and would not unzip

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Three

Sounds like you haven't really changed the .exe extension. Under Windows, you have to change the Windows setting in Control Panel so that you see the file extensions for all files - otherwise you are not really changing the extension - you are just adding ".zip" after the main file name, but before the ".exe"

Hope the above helps

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: U.S. Cellular

Thanks for the help. It worked.