Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

phraser
My Device: Curve 9300
Accepted Solution

Where can I download previous versions of Desktop Software?

Hi all and thanks for reading my question,

I can't get the current version of the desktop software to download (apparently it conflicts somehow with our IT system) and so I want to try an older version (maybe v5 or before).

I am trying to find where I can download it from.  I click the link on the webpage for "download previous version", but the only choice I get is the current version.

I have never had this software before so I don't have an old version I can go back to.

Can anyone help me find the old versions?

Thanks

J

Please use plain text.
Retired
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Where can I download previous versions of Desktop Software?

Hello phraser,

Older versions (pre-BBDS6) of BlackBerry Desktop Software are no longer available.

Cheers,

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
phraser
My Device: Curve 9300

Thanks for your response Fozzy.

I found that my cellphone provider's website still has the old versions, so I have managed to download one that way (just in case anyone else is having issues, that's an option worth considering).  V5.1 works fine!

Please use plain text.
Retired
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Glad to hear your found a solution!

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
myth84
My Device: bold 9780

Can u specify the network provider name
Please use plain text.
cvn111
My Device: Bold 9650

You'll have to track down an older install CD that came w/handsets prior to 2010, I think.
Please use plain text.
mikesalzberg
My Device: 9700 bold

I was able to find on on T-Mobile.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bobworthington
My Device: Bold 9700

See top recently solved solution for 6.1.038
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TravelWarrior
My Device: 9930

I posted a similar message on some other BlackBerry forum sites yesterday, but let me post it here with some slight edits since it looks like a lot of people are still looking for a solution at this forum site.

When the BlackBerry's customer service line couldn't help me a few days ago, I contacted Verizon and one of their customer service people in Mankato, Minnesota was extraordinary.  He wasn't aware of the problem as yet (I told him to alert Verizon, even at this late date) BUT he then checked his own on-line resources as well as his access to RIM's on-line support.

He then directed me to do the following:

• Uninstall the existing BlackBerry desktop manager software (obviously,  all of the desktop manager software, not just the icon). I did a direct uninstall on Windows 7 from Control Panel and it worked fine; there are postings on some other BlackBerry forums that provide some more complicated but complete approaches if the simple "uninstall" isn't adequate for your system.
  • During the uninstall process, I was asked if I wanted to delete related data as well.  Since I wasn't sure what that would do, I didn't check the box and in retrospect am glad I didn't delete data.  Others may have a different experience.
  • Go to BlackBerry's/RIM's home page; click on Apps & Software at the top.
  • Click on BlackBerry Desktop Software on the left.
  • Click on BlackBerry for PC (assuming you have a PC; other options are obvious).
  • Assuming you're now on the page that says BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC at the very top, do not click on the very visible downloads at the top of this page.  Scroll to the very bottom of the page and click on "Download earlier versions of BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC."
  • In the options box, select the software for the Windows OS (note there's also an option for a MAC operating system here).
  • Then download only the top item: "Desktop Software v6.1.0 B38 (Multilanguage)"

As the Verizon customer service guy told me, be sure you've deleted the current desktop manager BEFORE doing the download.  In my case, the earlier (and properly working) version of desktop software downloaded in about a minute and to my surprise and relief instantly had the correct ID for my BlackBerry Bold 9930 and even had the synchronization settings correct, although I re-checked them to be sure.

And then with much trepidation, I clicked on "Sync" and to my great happiness, everything worked fine (again).  The system properly identified all the calendar and address changes in recent days (with a few requests to confirm some  changes) and I'm now back to normal.

Now why couldn't BlackBerry have sent out or posted a notice to do this until they had the newer version fixed?  You'd think after all the bad press, they could at least have done this one right.  Thanks, Verizon, for filling in for the manufacturer.

Anyway, hope this works for everyone.

Please use plain text.