Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Desktop Software

Rocky1956
My Device: Bold 9900

bbb file

Why would it save my backup in a .bbb file on a Windows computer?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: bbb file

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The RIM Desktop Software, for the true "backup" process (as opposed to the "synchronization" process), creates that file, and it's sole intention is as the source of future restore, to your BB, in case of catastrophic data loss. Hence, the reason "why" is so that you actually have it available for that future restore. The file format is proprietary, as it's sole intent is as the source of restore.

There are 3rd party PC apps out there that can parse the BBB file and present the information to you in a more human-readable format.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Rocky1956
My Device: Bold 9900

Thanks for answering so quickly but as the instructions say, it should only store in this format if it is a Mac - it should store in .idp if in Windows format - of course everyone on the net wants a little $$$ to sort this out for you!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Not correct...starting with the RIM Desktop Software for Windows 7.0, they changed it so that in Windows it's a BBB file as well. IPD's would still be created/used by older Desktop Software (for Windows) versions, which are available free.

If the issue is that you need to parse the file into a readable format, there are also free PC apps that, as far as I recall, have already been re-worked for the BBB format.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.